Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The 100

I couldnt find a thread directly relating to The 100, so here we go, now that coaches are starting to be appointed and players mooted...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/2019/08/31/exclusive-franchise-hundred-have-least-one-england-test-star/?li_source=LI&li_medium=li-recommendation-widget

My assumption for England stars would be...

South London - Roy, Denly,Crawley,Curran x 2,Stevens with possibly Finch already pencilled in for 1 of the Overseas stars.
North London - Morgan, plus you would expect ABDV to be at least 1 of the overseas
Southampton - Archer,Vince,Tymal, maybe Rashid Khan
Birmingham - Woakes,Ali,
Leeds - Stokes,Bairstow,Root,Wood,Rashid
Manchester - Jimmy,Buttler
Nottingham - Hales,Broad
Cardiff - Banton?,Overton x2,Abell

South London and Leeds already looking strong.

Overseas players to choose from...
Rabada
Hetmyer
Holder
Smith
Warner
Starc
Cummins
'Fizz'
Nabi
Sergeant Cottrell
De Kock
Kohli
Bumrah
Williamson
Boult
Guptill
Shakib

Plus many,many more. Considering there is a limit of 4 per team, then they will need 32 overseas players at least.
I wonder where the big names like Kohli, Rabada,Starc,Cummins,Bumrah will go?

Gonna be a real (forgive the pun) blast.

Comments

• edited September 2019
    A pointless competition in my opinion. 
    We have 50 over cricket and 20 over cricket. 
    Both formats seem to work well.
    I'm I'm not against change for change sake but don't agree with this. 
    Same thing was said about 20/20 when it was introduced.

It might be a 'pointless competition' but its gonna be cracking entertainment.
  • A pointless competition in my opinion. 

Really don't see the need for the 100 AND the Blast. 2 months of short format cricket at the expense of the 50 over game and 4 day matches. And England Test players will barely play anyway

Can't see the Cardiff team being successful. Glamorgan are a poor side (bottom of their group) and how many people are going to travel from Taunton or Bristol to Cardiff to watch a match? The Somerset stars are just as likely to go elsewhere
  • A pointless competition in my opinion. 

Really don't see the need for the 100 AND the Blast. 2 months of short format cricket at the expense of the 50 over game and 4 day matches. And England Test players will barely play anyway

Can't see the Cardiff team being successful. Glamorgan are a poor side (bottom of their group) and how many people are going to travel from Taunton or Bristol to Cardiff to watch a match? The Somerset stars are just as likely to go elsewhere
    Yeah, i did wonder about the Cardiff side, coz Glamorgan,Gloucs arent going to provide anyone of worth except maybe Ingram from Glam.
  • I think I read somewhere that the county championship will be played in March and September due to the 100 being added to the schedule. That'll definitely help the test side. 
  • Is there really a need for another form of cricket? If so maybe ditch one of the others. I get trying to attract younger crowds but then why have so many? That surely doesn’t help.
  • Given how popular T20 is, why do we need another (slightly shorter) form of cricket?
  • Spoke to an MCC member at the Lords Ashes Test on the Saturday and he told  me AB de V was being paid by the MCC to play for Middlesex in the Blast as a precursor to him representing the 100 team at Lords .

A bit contradictory to that he then tells me MCC and Middlesex have fallen out (not allowed to use practise facilities at Lords as much as they’d like amongst other things) 
    Apparently Middlesex are building a 10k capacity ground near Barnet and have threatened to leave Lords .

Lords can’t be used as a Test venue unless it has First Class cricket played there.

MCC have pushed through for the 100 so they can get the London Spirit team  playing at Lords to give them some insurance against Middlesex departing .
    The 100 team would be considered to be playing First Class cricket at Lords so allowing it to continue as a Test venue .

Lords have sold Debentures to 2026 and they’re only currently guaranteed Test matches till 2023 at the moment .

This conversation took place after 6+ pints of lager (prolly nearer 3 pints) so my shit drinking memory may have recalled some of the above completely wrong .
  • Spoke to an MCC member at the Lords Ashes Test on the Saturday and he told  me AB de V was being paid by the MCC to play for Middlesex in the Blast as a precursor to him representing the 100 team at Lords .

A bit contradictory to that he then tells me MCC and Middlesex have fallen out (not allowed to use practise facilities at Lords as much as they’d like amongst other things) 
    Apparently Middlesex are building a 10k capacity ground near Barnet and have threatened to leave Lords .

Lords can’t be used as a Test venue unless it has First Class cricket played there.

MCC have pushed through for the 100 so they can get the London Spirit team  playing at Lords to give them some insurance against Middlesex departing .
    The 100 team would be considered to be playing First Class cricket at Lords so allowing it to continue as a Test venue .

Lords have sold Debentures to 2026 and they’re only currently guaranteed Test matches till 2023 at the moment .

This conversation took place after 6+ pints of lager (prolly nearer 3 pints) so my shit drinking memory may have recalled some of the above completely wrong .
    Dont worry, Surrey will buy it, and play one 20 over game a year there
  • Wood and Rashid are out for the summer and I’m waiting to see if Sheffield lad Joe Root would turn out for a team called Leeds...
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought t20 was a great idea when it was introduced and proved to be a great success. But the hundred seems like a weird mutated cricket. Doesn’t follow the usual rules (10 ball overs) and just seems like an unnecessary shortening of t20. I’d rather see a 10 over competition that follows 6 ball overs and follows similar rules. I think cutting out the counties as well is a really really bad idea. Should’ve kept to a big money twenty 20 competition with bigger relaxations on overseas players like the original plan was.

Middlesex are commercially limited, not owning their own ground and also have to use a lot of outgrounds with Lord's being used for so many internationals - no other ground stages 2 Tests a year for example. I don't think Middlesex would ever fully leave Lord's though
  • The only thing the 100 has going for it is that it will be on terrestrial TV

Shame there is not a franchise based at Taunton, cracking small ground (and local to me!)  
  • We've just won the 50 over World Cup and seen one of the great Ashes test matches. The 100 doesn't seem to add anything to 20/20. I think and hope that it will be a one season wonder.
  • edited September 2019
    We've just won the 50 over World Cup and seen one of the great Ashes test matches. The 100 doesn't seem to add anything to 20/20. I think and hope that it will be a one season wonder.
    I very much doubt it will be a 1 season wonder with the money that is 1) going to be available and 2) The financial input into the game - really cant see why you would 'hope' that it is so- so negative, as are so many peoples views on the 100 on here.

However, its not the time for negative comments...

1) Its here.
    2) Its not going away.
    3) Its going to be really entertaining, with top overseas stars playing.
    4) Its going to be different
    5) Its on Terrestrial TV
    6) Embrace it instead of being negative towards it.

Give it a chance- you might like it.
  • Oh, and also, for you Kent fans, now you will have a decent ground as home. :)
  • 20-20 is the perfect length to go and watch an evening match after work on a nice summers night.
  • Oh, and also, for you Kent fans, now you will have a decent ground as home. :)
    Kent are not in it mate.
  • We've just won the 50 over World Cup and seen one of the great Ashes test matches. The 100 doesn't seem to add anything to 20/20. I think and hope that it will be a one season wonder.
    I very much doubt it will be a 1 season wonder with the money that is 1) going to be available and 2) The financial input into the game - really cant see why you would 'hope' that it is so- so negative, as are so many peoples views on the 100 on here.

However, its not the time for negative comments...

1) Its here.
    2) Its not going away.
    3) Its going to be really entertaining, with top overseas stars playing.
    4) Its going to be different
    5) Its on Terrestrial TV
    6) Embrace it instead of being negative towards it.

Give it a chance.
    It wont be a one season wonder and more is the shame. Its complete and utter bollocks.

The only reason it wont fall on its arse is because the ECB are pumping more money at it in one year than they have put into cricket in the entire history of the ECB. Cricket would be much better served by putting that money into grassroots cricket and marketing for the blast.

And to address your earlier point this is absolutely nothing like the introduction of T20. That at least was recognisable as cricket. This is just bollocks.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am currently in the middle of putting together my assorted ramblings on this complete shit show. Under the rough headings of.

Reasons cited for the 100 (and why they are a steaming pile of crap) 

Why the city based franchise system does not fit English cricket 

Why the new 100 ball format is a stupid idea

Why should have been done instead. 

I'll share on here when I'm done.

In the meantime do please follow @oposethe100 on Twitter 

About 20 of us wearing oppose the 100 t-shirts to the oval test match.

Also please check out various tweets from Surrey Chief Exec Richard Gould on this

And for a current players view 

• It all rather smacks of the Katrien Miere way of doing things. "We don't need our existing fans, we want to attract a new type of fan"

"We don't need their extra money whether through VIP scheme or other extra enagament as fans revenue is a small part of our revenue" 

Little did she realise that existing fans bring along friends children grandchildren etc and it's the product that sells itself (as the blast has been in the last few years). 

Bonkers.
  • edited September 2019
    The only thing the 100 has going for it is that it will be on terrestrial TV

Shame there is not a franchise based at Taunton, cracking small ground (and local to me!)  
    Free to air TV you say? 

Yes would be a great idea and much needed for cricket. 

Unfortunately this point is much overdone. The current contract for the 100 has 10 games on FTA and the rest behind skys paywall. 

Shame

Free to air TV you say? 

Unfortunately this point is much overdone. The current contract for the 100 has 10 games on FTA and the rest behind skys paywall. 

Shame
    And they could easily have done that with the existing Blast which is an excellent product
  • When this was originally mooted, it was insisted that wasn't about creating super counties. The way it is now set up it is obviously the case. The rest of us become feeder clubs. 
    It will be made to be seen as a success but have a devastating impact on test cricket, one day cricket and the 10 counties not involved. 

Free to air TV you say? 

Shame
    And they could easily have done that with the existing Blast which is an excellent product
    Precisely. Would have cost considerably less to simply give the TV rights away than to pump all this money into the 100 including the bribes to counties who voted for it.
  • had to laugh at Stevens being included in the Presidents South London team! 
    also will people like Jimmy and Broad really play? Currently they don't play 1 day cricket to rest their bodies for test cricket. 

Free to air TV you say? 

Shame
    Precisely. Would have cost considerably less to simply give the TV rights away than to pump all this money into the 100 including the bribes to counties who voted for it.
    Crazily each county only plays 14 group games instead of the logical 16, so that's a chunk of extra games that can be added to the calendar instead
  • My understanding is that squads are going to be drafted from scratch?  Not just a question of Kent/Surrey players = South London etc... Might be completely mistaken though.

Hopefully the whole thing will be put out to pasture after one season, there's too much cricket as it is....and this is a total mess anyway.

Was having a chat the other day whilst listening to the final test, and would prefer a season that sees all 18 sides in one league in each format. 
    Monday to Thursday play a 4 day game, a T20 on a Friday night, and then 50 over game on Saturday/Sunday.  So play each other once through the season, with three games in a week, one in each format.  You'd get the T20 games selling out on Friday nights after work, and families can easily attend the 50 over games at a weekend.  The 4 day format is largely unattended as it is, so having that midweek is fine.

Then can have the appropriate QFs, SFs and Finals based off final league in the one day comps.  So top 8 in the 50 over league go into QF, with semi-final and final.  And the top 8 in the T20 league go into QFs, with the winners in the Finals Day to be the last match day of the season.  

Would give the season a nice structure/backbone and build to an ending.