Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

City Breaks Advice

Comments

• Another vote for Budapest. 
  • Lisbon or Porto 

Ignore all the suggestions for Barcelona - petty crime there is out of control and anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves. 
  • Loads of good choices... Berlin is underrated though. 
  • If your missus likes a bit of history.....then Rome cannot be beaten IMO. It's like taking a holiday in a museum.

By far the best Capital city that I've been to in Europe.
    So many great cities to visit, Prague being one of my favourites, but also Rome as you can pretty much walk everywhere and there’s a fantastic piece of architecture or fountain or whatever every time you turn a corner.  Add to that the Italian women, wine, food, cars and fashion...it’s all worth seeing!
  • Lisbon, Rome and Gothenburg personally are the best for food. 
  • Lisbon or Porto 

Ignore all the suggestions for Barcelona - petty crime there is out of control and anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves. 
    I’ve been 4 times over the last decade and never had an issue. Think it takes some beating, great nightlife, plenty of things to see and do, Lovely beach, decent weather.
  • Krakow or Prague
    Cracking shout, have visited both and are equally excellent.

Cheap to get to and both equally inexpensive when there.
  • Depends what your priorities are, but out of places I’ve been and decent for couples I’d say the following would all guarantee a great time:

NY - speaks for itself, reasonable flights these days.
    Budapest - Cheap, fun, history, nightlife
    Krakow -  Cheap, underground bars, nightlife Auschwitz, Salt mines.
    Barcelona - has everything imo - nightlife, beach, weather, plenty to see/do.
    Amsterdam - Close, good vibe, nightlife, things to see/do
    Dubrovnik - stunning, weather, Island hopping.
    Venice - simply stunning
    Copenhagen - cool, clean, but expensive 
    Edinburgh - close, plenty to see/do, nightlife
    Berlin - History and lots of it, beer
    Bruges - a smaller Amsterdam, beer, choc, close
    Paris - hated it first time but warm to it more each time

Bruges is not similar to Amsterdam in any way, shape or form
  • San Sebastián stunning beach but could not find nowhere decent to eat and the basque people are very inhospitable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• San Sebastián stunning beach but could not find nowhere decent to eat and the basque people are very inhospitable. 
    Seriously? Probably the best food city in the world. Spent a week there a couple of years ago and every meal we had was great. 
  • I work with a guy from Barcelona and he says that there has been an explosion in knife crime there over recent years. 
    You live on pintxos in that part of the world! We stayed in Bilbao with a day trip to San Sebastian.

I miss European cities. It may sound exptic when I have city breaks in Phnom Penh, Saigon, Penang, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, Singapore etc. but you don't feel the difference in character between Asian cities that you do in Europe.

Stockholm is a beautiful city that I visited earlier this year and I've always liked Brussels, much under-rated by many (and you can take a day trip to Sint Truiden from there!)
  • Lisbon or Porto 

I’ve been 4 times over the last decade and never had an issue. Think it takes some beating, great nightlife, plenty of things to see and do, Lovely beach, decent weather.
    Pleased you've had no trouble on your recent visits but I'm afraid we are just going to have to agree to disagree. 

On my recent visit I saw a drugged up bloke walk bold as brass into a restaurant I was in and just try and take a handbag from someone sitting at the next table. Much shouting later, bloke just walked out and the staff never moved a muscle. 

Later walking down the road, 2 kids cycled hell for leather down the pavement towards us and would have tried to grab my wife's /daughter's handbag if they had had them over their shoulder on the other side.

Look at recent links as well - sorry can't copy them at the moment. Mail carried a story about a bloke beaten unconscious on a beach at 8.30am by someone trying to take his phone and at the weekend the Telegraph carried a story about how local people fed up with street crime were forming their own vigilante groups.

• Did anyone suggest St Peterbourg or Moscow.  Never been to either but would live to do so one day.
  • Cheers guys lots of helpful info. I didn't think about Scandinavia something to look into!
  • Lisbon or Porto 

Pleased you've had no trouble on your recent visits but I'm afraid we are just going to have to agree to disagree. 

On my recent visit I saw a drugged up bloke walk bold as brass into a restaurant I was in and just try and take a handbag from someone sitting at the next table. Much shouting later, bloke just walked out and the staff never moved a muscle. 

Later walking down the road, 2 kids cycled hell for leather down the pavement towards us and would have tried to grab my wife's /daughter's handbag if they had had them over their shoulder on the other side.

Look at recent links as well - sorry can't copy them at the moment. Mail carried a story about a bloke beaten unconscious on a beach at 8.30am by someone trying to take his phone and at the weekend the Telegraph carried a story about how local people fed up with street crime were forming their own vigilante groups.

About 3 years ago, we had a works xmas do in Barcelona, about 40 of us in total. We had 3 lads, in separate incidents, jumped and knocked unconscious and they had their watches, wallets and phones nicked coming out of bars/clubs. Another lad pulled a bird on a dance floor and next thing her pimps were all over him demanding hundreds of euro's, he refused and outside got beat so badly he couldn't travel home for ten days. Two of our girls were mugged in broad daylight, money, phones, handbags, they lost the lot. 

Glad I've been but I would never return, I constantly felt there was a bit of an edge to the place. 
  • NelsonsFU said:
    Florence is direct from London City - 5 Euro bus straight into the city from Airport. Fantastic Architecture great restaurants,hotels, museums and piazzas and is small enough to be walked.
    Love Florence.
  • Unless it’s changed mate I suppose it’s at least 10 years since I went we had kids in buggies so might of made choice of where to eat harder. But I remember being starving all weekend and asking people where  to go. (No trip adviser them days.) Most wouldn’t even attempt to speak English and answer you.

• edited September 2019
    Regarding people not responding to English, to be honest there's no reason for people to have to speak English in Spain so it's quite likely they don't know any - always better to attempt the local language, especially in places that speak a global language and are less likely to learn English. Shame you didn't find any food you like in San Sebastian - it has the best food in the whole country and is a brilliant place.

Other great city break places in Spain are Zaragoza, Valencia and particularly Sevilla. All probably work best with at least a bit of Spanish knowledge though as well to order food etc. Surprisingly few people speak English here away from the holiday resorts.

Barcelona is definitely worth a visit but it has turned into a bit of a Disneyland tourist trap with the locals pretty much driven out, and it's true that it has got a problem with petty theft and even some more serious violence. I know lots of people who have had issues there in recent years sadly but it is a lovely place - just seems to have lost its way a bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• We need to know more about what your missus likes (fnarr fnarr). Is seeing art something she loves or does she have no interest in trudging round a gallery. Is new food a thing to look forward to or does there have to be a Nandos there. What does she prefer, fresh air and trees or skyscrapers? There are dozens of fabulous places to go.

• Lisbon or Porto 

About 3 years ago, we had a works xmas do in Barcelona, about 40 of us in total. We had 3 lads, in separate incidents, jumped and knocked unconscious and they had their watches, wallets and phones nicked coming out of bars/clubs. Another lad pulled a bird on a dance floor and next thing her pimps were all over him demanding hundreds of euro's, he refused and outside got beat so badly he couldn't travel home for ten days. Two of our girls were mugged in broad daylight, money, phones, handbags, they lost the lot. 

Glad I've been but I would never return, I constantly felt there was a bit of an edge to the place. 
    London has its fair share of crime, doesn't mean it's a shit city to visit
  • Lisbon or Porto 

London has its fair share of crime, doesn't mean it's a shit city to visit
    Thing is so many people who go to Barcelona experience problems with petty crime and the more serious stuff. Just do a Google search if you don't believe me. 

Of course London has its problems and if you walk around with your wallet hanging out your back pocket someone will nick it. But by and large visitors will go home without experiencing anything amiss. 
  • Bilbao is worth a visit. Love it there 
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, me and my friend are looking to go away for 4 nights (specific) September 16th, Monday - Friday

Currently we have Prague as an option, cheap and drink cheap out there. @pragueaddick, any recommendations eg. bars, will be champions league footy and maybe Charlton midweek if we can find somewhere to watch it?

Or alternatively if anyone knows of any cheap, I mean dirt cheap like <£300 holidays in the sun.

Main objectives: to get away and have a few drinks, doesn't have to be party central, a few bars will do.

Reason for cheapness is because I have had a lot to pay out recently so want to do on the tightest budget but still want to go away.

Disclaimer - I am not really sight seeing sort of person, although I wouldn't dismiss it but would rather lounge somewhere or prop up in a bar.

Booking today/tomorrow so any advice is appreciated. I haven't looked at full thread yet but will do after I post this...

• I’m not knocking the place it’s probably one of the best beaches I been to and nice country side with log chalets it looks more like Switzerland.But I’m sorry I can’t speak much Spanish.but I don’t speak much Dutch french or or polish but still managed to get people to give me directions and advice where to go.I don’t think the basque people are very hospitable. They don’t believe in tourism up there and it shows. Or it did when I went there. 
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, me and my friend are looking to go away for 4 nights (specific) September 16th, Monday - Friday

Currently we have Prague as an option, cheap and drink cheap out there. @pragueaddick, any recommendations eg. bars, will be champions league footy and maybe Charlton midweek if we can find somewhere to watch it?

Or alternatively if anyone knows of any cheap, I mean dirt cheap like <£300 holidays in the sun.

Main objectives: to get away and have a few drinks, doesn't have to be party central, a few bars will do.

Reason for cheapness is because I have had a lot to pay out recently so want to do on the tightest budget but still want to go away.

Disclaimer - I am not really sight seeing sort of person, although I wouldn't dismiss it but would rather lounge somewhere or prop up in a bar.

Booking today/tomorrow so any advice is appreciated. I haven't looked at full thread yet but will do after I post this...

There are a lot of bars in the centre that will cater for you, and like most places in Europe they are English or Irish run. In these days of streams I don't bother any more, the last time I think was the cup tie at Sheffield Utd. For this I went to Rocky O'Reillys in Stepanska street off Wenceslas Square. What with the Irish Breakfasts and that sort of stuff you will feel "at home". Just a bit of a shame that these places charge more for Czech beer, and don't know how to look after it. If you want the real thing you could try Restaurace Mincovna on Old Town Square, great food, top, top beer, at sensible prices, then if there's a game on you can hop across the road to Caffreys which will show whatever game is on. You can easily find on e web other pubs which show live games, they are all in the centre. 

Hope you can get cheap prices for flight and hotels at such short notice though, it's still a busy time of year. Don't forget to check BA from London City if you live near there. 
  • Copenhagen or Gdańsk 
  • Lisbon or Porto 

First time I went, mate of mine was racially abused by the bouncer of a club. Second time I went, I had my phone nicked, a mate with me had his phone and wallet nicked. Totally agree there is a very uncomfortable edge to the place and as I said earlier it's one of the most overrated cities in Europe. Seemingly everyone is out to rip of tourists, there are what seems to be hundreds of brasses standing on street corners each night and petty crime seems quite common. I won't be going back unless I absolutely have to.
  • I must admit that I was pretty underwhelmed by Barcelona too. Nothing bad happened, nor did I see anything bad, but it didn't deliver on the hype. First time I saw people happily queueing to get into a restaurant - WTF? The church is amazing (if you are a fan of churches), and the covered market too, but otherwise, I didn't get it.