Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

City Breaks Advice

Comments

• edited September 2019

Sorry to hijack the thread, me and my friend are looking to go away for 4 nights (specific) September 16th, Monday - Friday

Currently we have Prague as an option, cheap and drink cheap out there. @pragueaddick, any recommendations eg. bars, will be champions league footy and maybe Charlton midweek if we can find somewhere to watch it?

Or alternatively if anyone knows of any cheap, I mean dirt cheap like <£300 holidays in the sun.

Main objectives: to get away and have a few drinks, doesn't have to be party central, a few bars will do.

Reason for cheapness is because I have had a lot to pay out recently so want to do on the tightest budget but still want to go away.

Disclaimer - I am not really sight seeing sort of person, although I wouldn't dismiss it but would rather lounge somewhere or prop up in a bar.

Booking today/tomorrow so any advice is appreciated. I haven't looked at full thread yet but will do after I post this...

What I do is go on Skyscanner, do a search from London (any airport) and put destination EVERYWHERE, it will search every country and city, see what comes up

Just had a look

Budapest £58
    Majorca £59
    Bilbao £66
    Faro £72
    Venice £96

Plenty of cheap flights
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, me and my friend are looking to go away for 4 nights (specific) September 16th, Monday - Friday

Currently we have Prague as an option, cheap and drink cheap out there. @pragueaddick, any recommendations eg. bars, will be champions league footy and maybe Charlton midweek if we can find somewhere to watch it?

Or alternatively if anyone knows of any cheap, I mean dirt cheap like <£300 holidays in the sun.

Main objectives: to get away and have a few drinks, doesn't have to be party central, a few bars will do.

Reason for cheapness is because I have had a lot to pay out recently so want to do on the tightest budget but still want to go away.

Disclaimer - I am not really sight seeing sort of person, although I wouldn't dismiss it but would rather lounge somewhere or prop up in a bar.

Booking today/tomorrow so any advice is appreciated. I haven't looked at full thread yet but will do after I post this...

I've got a week in Portugal booked for later in September. Booked through Jet2 - one week self catering appartment for two people plus flights and transfers was less than £300 each - and that includes hold luggage on the plane. Would recommend them if you're looking for cheap and cheerful. 
  • Bergamo. Stay in the Old City. Cheap Flights. 10 minutes to city centre from airport. Walk everywhere. Romantic. Really is fabulous. 
  • Wilma said:

Sorry to hijack the thread, me and my friend are looking to go away for 4 nights (specific) September 16th, Monday - Friday

I've got a week in Portugal booked for later in September. Booked through Jet2 - one week self catering appartment for two people plus flights and transfers was less than £300 each - and that includes hold luggage on the plane. Would recommend them if you're looking for cheap and cheerful. 

Thank you we did have our eyes set on Alburfeira, however it went up from the initial costs to £400 each was like £250. We still might go that way just looking at deals.

Bergamo. Stay in the Old City. Cheap Flights. 10 minutes to city centre from airport. Walk everywhere. Romantic. Really is fabulous. 

Thanks not really looking for romantic, its with my bloke mate :) Appreciate the help though!
  • Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone been to Gdansk? Looking at Friday to Monday. 
  • Rome full of history but personally find it a dirty shit hole. Venice too crowded. Berlin OK. Prague and Budapest are great. Cluj Napoca in Transylvania Romania (ignore the fascist Farage) is a little gem with very friendly people and they nearly all speak English, good night life plus you can go down a massive salt mine.
    I can second the recommendation of Cluj Napoca. For culture there are two cathedrals and a good few museums. There are any number of restaurants ranging from the traditional to the very trendy and loads of bars and coffee houses. A good time to visit is during TIFF ( Transylvanian International Film Festival ) which takes place in late May/early June. Cluj is also one of the major university centres of Romania which gives it a lively feel.

And not forgetting those Salt mines....
  • cafcbrown said:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone been to Gdansk? Looking at Friday to Monday. 
    Been recommended Gdansk by several people but not been yet
  • Berlin is a great choice. Probably my favourite city!
  • edited September 2019
    Depends on budget, priorities, interests etc
  • Prague was superb when me and my missus went a few years back
    Valley pass coverage is fecking shocking though! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• cafcbrown said:
    Sorry to hijack the thread, but has anyone been to Gdansk? Looking at Friday to Monday. 
    Yes and it’s well worth the visit. Cheap beer, interesting old town and lots to see and do. The town on “Sopot” (next to Gdańsk) has a good party vibe. Not tacky. Just fun and chilled.

You’ll enjoy it there I’m sure. It’s a real gem of a city. 
  • Did anyone suggest St Peterbourg or Moscow.  Never been to either but would live to do so one day.
    Both absolutely superb, especially Moscow - one of the best places I have ever visited. Not cheap though but will worth a visit if you can.
  • Lisbon or Porto 

Ignore all the suggestions for Barcelona - petty crime there is out of control and anyone who says otherwise is deluding themselves. 
    I’ve been 4 times over the last decade and never had an issue. Think it takes some beating, great nightlife, plenty of things to see and do, Lovely beach, decent weather.
    Pleased you've had no trouble on your recent visits but I'm afraid we are just going to have to agree to disagree. 

On my recent visit I saw a drugged up bloke walk bold as brass into a restaurant I was in and just try and take a handbag from someone sitting at the next table. Much shouting later, bloke just walked out and the staff never moved a muscle. 

Later walking down the road, 2 kids cycled hell for leather down the pavement towards us and would have tried to grab my wife's /daughter's handbag if they had had them over their shoulder on the other side.

Look at recent links as well - sorry can't copy them at the moment. Mail carried a story about a bloke beaten unconscious on a beach at 8.30am by someone trying to take his phone and at the weekend the Telegraph carried a story about how local people fed up with street crime were forming their own vigilante groups.

Fair enough mate. I’ve heard plenty of stories too but on my 4 visits (2 stag do’s in 07 and a few months ago, Mums 50th with 6 family in 10 and Andorra v England in 07) neither me nor people I’m with have had a problem and I’m usually drunk as a skunk so easy target. Maybe we’ve just been lucky and whilst I acknowledge it turns seedy and has an edge around the awful ramblas at night, I do think it has a lot to offer as a City. My most recent visit being one of my favourite.

My mate did get his wallet nicked by a hooker in Madrid a n my stag mind so not all good on the Spanish front.
  • Did anyone suggest St Peterbourg or Moscow.  Never been to either but would live to do so one day.
    Both absolutely superb, especially Moscow - one of the best places I have ever visited. Not cheap though but will worth a visit if you can.
    Don't you need a Visa?
  • edited September 2019
    Did anyone suggest St Peterbourg or Moscow.  Never been to either but would live to do so one day.
    Don't you need a Visa?
    Yes - or at least did when I went ten years ago. That's one of the things that makes it pricier than a standard Euro city break, as well as the flights - don't think any low cost airlines go there.
  • Heard good things.about Turin.
     Might be my next city break
    Don't you need a Visa?
    Yes - or at least did when I went ten years ago. That's one of the things that makes it pricier than a standard Euro city break, as well as the flights - don't think any low cost airlines go there.
    easyjet go there now
  • Anyway, Berlin is my favourite choice, any excuse to visit right now, meeting up there in November with @rikofold for Bruce Hornsby concert.

I love Vienna too. But Graz is also well worth considering if there is a direct flight from London.

And we liked what we saw of Lisbon, although we were staying with friends outside the city. Or in France, I'd go for Bordeaux. Also heard La Rochelle is great, direct flights from London (but maybe not at that time, and there certainly was an Addick with a BnB place there.)
    Which reminds me I still haven't booked my flight... 
  • Sponsored links:

• San Sebastián stunning beach but could not find nowhere decent to eat and the basque people are very inhospitable. 
    Pamplona was a good stop of on a road trip we went on in 2013, wasn't there for the bull run but we were there for some kind of festival....totally unplanned, loads of live music in various bars, good food and good priced drinks.  People seemed friendly enough though Spanish is only the second language there. 
  • edited September 2019
    se9addick said:
    Regarding people not responding to English, to be honest there's no reason for people to have to speak English in Spain so it's quite likely they don't know any - always better to attempt the local language, especially in places that speak a global language and are less likely to learn English. Shame you didn't find any food you like in San Sebastian - it has the best food in the whole country and is a brilliant place.

Other great city break places in Spain are Zaragoza, Valencia and particularly Sevilla. All probably work best with at least a bit of Spanish knowledge though as well to order food etc. Surprisingly few people speak English here away from the holiday resorts.

Barcelona is definitely worth a visit but it has turned into a bit of a Disneyland tourist trap with the locals pretty much driven out, and it's true that it has got a problem with petty theft and even some more serious violence. I know lots of people who have had issues there in recent years sadly but it is a lovely place - just seems to have lost its way a bit.
    Anyone who is disappointed that locals in a non-English speaking country don’t speak English is an idiot. 
    A mate of mine was studying in Italy, so as a group of lads we went out to visit him. Bare in mind he was living on the outskirts of a little town in Tuscany, one of my mates bowled into a little local Italian corner shop and loudly said “hullo there! How’s it going!” And I almost died of embarressment for him. I called him out on it, but he said it was fine as “English is a global language”. 

Always try and speak the local language, even if I literally know “yes” and “please”. I just hope the locals decide to put me out of my misery and speak English. 
    Don't you need a Visa?

You do mate and it can be a bit of a pain getting one. Not sure about now but when we went a few years ago they were frequently changing the rules/paperwork that you needed to fill out. We submitted ours twice and on both occasions, they changed it whilst they were being processed and rejected them. I got our travel department at work to do it in the end and even they struggled.

Well worth the hassle though, Moscow is a fantastic place with so much to see and do. A bit pricey but you can just spend a day travelling on the underground taking in all the communist era artwork at the stations.

We went in Feb and whilst it was bloody cold, the snow made it even more special.

Did the usual tourist things, Red Sq, Lenin's mausoleum, Bolshoi Ballet etc but it's good to just mooch about. 

They flood the pathways at Gorky Park, which freeze and you can hire skates to get about.

• se9addick said:
    Regarding people not responding to English, to be honest there's no reason for people to have to speak English in Spain so it's quite likely they don't know any - always better to attempt the local language, especially in places that speak a global language and are less likely to learn English. Shame you didn't find any food you like in San Sebastian - it has the best food in the whole country and is a brilliant place.

Other great city break places in Spain are Zaragoza, Valencia and particularly Sevilla. All probably work best with at least a bit of Spanish knowledge though as well to order food etc. Surprisingly few people speak English here away from the holiday resorts.

Barcelona is definitely worth a visit but it has turned into a bit of a Disneyland tourist trap with the locals pretty much driven out, and it's true that it has got a problem with petty theft and even some more serious violence. I know lots of people who have had issues there in recent years sadly but it is a lovely place - just seems to have lost its way a bit.
    Anyone who is disappointed that locals in a non-English speaking country don’t speak English is an idiot. 
    A mate of mine was studying in Italy, so as a group of lads we went out to visit him. Bare in mind he was living on the outskirts of a little town in Tuscany, one of my mates bowled into a little local Italian corner shop and loudly said “hullo there! How’s it going!” And I almost died of embarressment for him. I called him out on it, but he said it was fine as “English is a global language”. 

Always try and speak the local language, even if I literally know “yes” and “please”. I just hope the locals decide to put me out of my misery and speak English. 
    I'm OK at the bar just leave Mrs H to do the more tricky stuff.
  • edited September 2019
    Im going Prague Tuesday - Thursday next week, short but a get away and a few drinks no doubt :) 
    Hoping it is semi busy but unlikely with it being midweek? Champions league midweek so will probably end up a sports bar and wherever the road takes us, just me and a mate so it will be messy
    @PragueAddick - I looked at 2 bar crawls, would you recommend? both have really good reviews on trip advisor. however as i am going midweek will it be worth it? i thought it could be a good way to meet a few people. 

• Ok se9 Addicks talk to me in Japanese you idiot can you have a full conversation in every country’s language you’ve visited i don’t think so saying good evening and thanks yes but not full conversation.
    I tell you what there’s a lot of idiots live near you a lot of people in London don’t speak English do they. 

• I tell you what there’s a lot of idiots live near you a lot of people in London don’t speak English do they. 

Some just struggle with grammar and punctuation. 
  • Ok se9 Addicks talk to me in Japanese you idiot can you have a full conversation in every country’s language you’ve visited i don’t think so saying good evening and thanks yes but not full conversation.
    I tell you what there’s a lot of idiots live near you a lot of people in London don’t speak English do they. 

• Need to charge your phone mate.