Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London and Kent Border (Sunday) League

Comments

• I'm sure I played in this league whilst I was in my 20's although I could be wrong.

Played for Dusek Campbell (home ground was VCD's in Crayford), The Horse & Groom pub in West Kingsdown & The Fox & Hounds in Dartford. 
  • Is it a hard border or do they use technology?
  • To Peter Gage,did you live in Springfield and have a brother named Laurie,My name is Ray Bordch,Lived in Wilson house and played one season with Heathway before I moved down to Kent.
  • Pretty sure that was the league the team I played for - Garelli - was in. Deffo not top division! It was made up of schoolmates from our rugby- only school. Think I was the only Charlton fan who played in it. 
    I played a couple of seasons for Garelli remember some of the team originated from posh school in Catford if that's not a contradiction. (St Dunstans i think) must have been the early 70s captian and club secretary was  Nigel Judd and another name I remember was Stuart Southwell (Spurs Fan) all that was good about  Sunday football playing with a hangover, at places like Blackheath and hackney marshes although I think the home was Norman Park Bromley. Fags at half time with a quarter of an orange. a couple of pints after the  game and then home  for lunch and watch the  big match if the game was near where I  lived (Bexleyheath) still time to catch last orders (2pm) in the  Jolly Drayman where there was the added bonus of  strippers (yes on a Sunday lunchtime happy days    
  • To Peter Gage,did you live in Springfield and have a brother named Laurie,My name is Ray Bordch,Lived in Wilson house and played one season with Heathway before I moved down to Kent.
    I lived in Wilson house. 
  • I played in the LKB  from 1970 with Plumstead Pacific
    Played for the Woodman, which became the Who’d have thought it, during the 90’s. Played a few games for Plumstead Pacific when I didn’t have a game.
    I also played for Plumstead Pacific out of the Melbourne Arms. Then formed own team Remon that sailed through the leagues at Butterfly Lane. Later disbanded due to costs. Then played for Belvedere (Utd?) in the Kent Suburban league in the prem. Alas knee problems ended my football. 
  • Played in the Eltham and District League for Santos for over ten years. Cannot ever beat the friendship of a Sunday mates team......21st parties, stag night's, weddings, baby bedwetting and general drink ups. Happy days
  • The London & Kent Suburban League folded at the end of last season and I believe the Michael Burke mentioned was still on the board. Shame really as the league had a lot of history but towards the end it was very poorly run.
    My team now plays in the Woolwich and Eltham League (WESFA) which has around 70 teams. The Orpington and Bromley League has a similar amount. Sunday league football is by no means dead and there are some very good teams especially in the Premier Division of WESFA. 
    We charge £50 signing on fee, £5 away games, £10 home games. So the lads are paying £30 a month to play competitive football which in this day and age is nothing. If anyone every moans I always say you wouldn't bat a eyelid spending £30 in the boozer! 
    If you can find a decent pitch with a club house you're sorted. Beers,food and watch the sunday kick off after the game is what it's all about.
  • Scrap that we charge £35 signing on. Not sure why I said £50! Maybe because its 3am and my 9 month old won't stop crying lol
  • I'm sure I played in this league whilst I was in my 20's although I could be wrong.

Played for Dusek Campbell (home ground was VCD's in Crayford), The Horse & Groom pub in West Kingsdown & The Fox & Hounds in Dartford. 
    I used to play for Dussek Campbell in the early 80’s, my mate was a cousin of Tommy Gibb.
  • Sponsored links:

• Solidgone said:
    I played in the LKB  from 1970 with Plumstead Pacific
    Played for the Woodman, which became the Who’d have thought it, during the 90’s. Played a few games for Plumstead Pacific when I didn’t have a game.
    I also played for Plumstead Pacific out of the Melbourne Arms. Then formed own team Remon that sailed through the leagues at Butterfly Lane. Later disbanded due to costs. Then played for Belvedere (Utd?) in the Kent Suburban league in the prem. Alas knee problems ended my football. 

When we started Plumstead Pacific, we used The Old Mill, but soon switched to  the Melbourne Arms, I enjoyed many a late Sunday night  in there, when Bill and Rose run the pub.
  • Nice to read this thread which brings back many happy memories. I was General Secretary of the LKB for 28 years and Chairman for 22. I also ran and played for Addington Manor for most of that time, bringing in a Veterans Division in the later years. I met Peter Gage recently on the CL trip to the Somme and remember him well as one of our top referees. We had at least 120 teams every year and were turning people away in the old days and some of our long time regulars were Walker Sports, Kenningwell, Lesann United, Camberwell Wanderers, Inter Royalle etc. I could name so many clubs and personalities from those days, many like John Commerford and Peter Gage with Charlton connections

Ian Wright was discovered while playing in the LKB and John Sewell played regularly for Lesann after his time with Charlton. Also I chaired the Discipline panel when Chris Dickson was caught playing as a ringer for an LKB team prior to joining Charlton. Michael Burke and I were both elected to the London FA and remain active on the Council. I also now serve on the LFA Board as a Director. Sunday football has been in steady decline for many years, but it is always nice to look back on the golden era and Michael's book (which I have read) is a very detailed history of the league.
  • To TCE I lived in Wilson house til I got married in 1966 we lived on the ground floor,the Heathway Fc I thinkwas largely made up from players that lived in Springfield Grove.I remember in those days early 1960 that there was always a rivalry with the lads from Cherry Orchard Estate,so it was ironical for me that after 1 year with Heathway,I drove up from Kent for a few years with 2 friends  and played for a team in the LKB called Whitworth which originated from the Cherry Orchard Estate.
  • johnboy59 said:
    Pretty sure that was the league the team I played for - Garelli - was in. Deffo not top division! It was made up of schoolmates from our rugby- only school. Think I was the only Charlton fan who played in it. 
    I played a couple of seasons for Garelli remember some of the team originated from posh school in Catford if that's not a contradiction. (St Dunstans i think) must have been the early 70s captian and club secretary was  Nigel Judd and another name I remember was Stuart Southwell (Spurs Fan) all that was good about  Sunday football playing with a hangover, at places like Blackheath and hackney marshes although I think the home was Norman Park Bromley. Fags at half time with a quarter of an orange. a couple of pints after the  game and then home  for lunch and watch the  big match if the game was near where I  lived (Bexleyheath) still time to catch last orders (2pm) in the  Jolly Drayman where there was the added bonus of  strippers (yes on a Sunday lunchtime happy days    
    Bloody hell. Nigel and Stuart were my classmates and good friends. Nigel was a Spurs fan too. Both very decent players, although Stu had an incendiary temper. Maybe you also remember Cliff Steer, a West Ham fan, lovely bloke. I think it was probably only formed in '71, and I went off to Portsmouth Poly in autumn 72, so that was it for me, sounds like you might have joined after that.

I used to play for Dussek Campbell in the early 80’s, my mate was a cousin of Tommy Gibb.
    Bit before my time. Played for DC from 1988 to 1991.
  • edited September 2019
    I played for Cambrae who were mainly ex Bexley Grammar School lads from 1985 to 1997. We were Junior One champions in 1987 and the played in Inter One for most of our time. I certainly played against Plumstead Pacific in that first season or two. Amazingly we used to produce a programme - it was just when fanzines took off do we created our own to read in the pub after the game.

Great days but Cambrae ended with a violent match against East Dulwich Tavern where our manager Alan Bone was attacked and nobody wanted to play anymore.

We had so many grounds. The sloped pitch by the lake at Danson,which  meant carrying goal posts a country mile and befriending  dinghy owners to retrieve lost balls. I remember playing at Danson one Sunday and a group of us in the pub deciding to go to the CAFC v Blackburn Full Members Cup Final. We  left pub at 1pm and paid on the turnstyle!

There wete plenty of terrible pitches. The postage stamp sized pitches on Blackheath where  there was always a hurricane blowing. Plumstead Common where balls could run away downhill to the high street (and where you had match beers at the Ship who laid on strippers to lure players!)  and Crossways Thamesmead with another bloody lake!

Our manager, Alan Bone, profiteered by buying up multiple pitch permits each Sunday and selling on his spares to other teams in the league.  I'm sure you must have known him Killerjerrylee.

• Solidgone said:

• Solidgone said:

I also played for Plumstead Pacific and was a founder member of Ramon, great times.
    Hi Ray. I remember you well. Laurie was indeed my brother but sadly passed away some 15 years ago. Small world !
  • Solidgone said:

I also played for Plumstead Pacific and was a founder member of Ramon, great times.
    @gazzaddick is that Mr Wright by any chance?
  • Sponsored links:

• Used to watch walker sports when I was a kid, then played for well hall Utd and Lincoln 
    Broke my leg playing for Walker Sports in 1978. Then took up refereeing in 1978
    only retired as a referee two years ago aged 70. By the way I went to school with Peter Gage.

Did you break your leg playing at Plumstead common and did your dad live on Charlton church lane if so I must have played for walker sports at the same time
  • Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:

@gazzaddick is that Mr Wright by any chance?
    Sure is Mr.???? Did you play full back by any chance.
  • This thread is turning into Friends Reunited 
  • Use to play with a lad called Ronnie Chance from Springfield Grove, was a tidy midfielder. Lived in Erskine House i think. 
  • Used to watch walker sports when I was a kid, then played for well hall Utd and Lincoln 
    Broke my leg playing for Walker Sports in 1978. Then took up refereeing in 1978
    only retired as a referee two years ago aged 70. By the way I went to school with Peter Gage.

Before my time.
    i used to watch them around the mid 80s.
    i think it was after Eltham Hill fc folded. not sure what league they were in but they had a tidy side with a lot of the Greenwich Borough players turning out for them.
  • Use to play with a lad called Ronnie Chance from Springfield Grove, was a tidy midfielder. Lived in Erskine House i think. 
    I recall the name 
  • I believe Walker Sports were one of the first members of the L&KBL does anyone know their origins?
  • I played for Cambrae who were mainly ex Bexley Grammar School lads from 1985 to 1997. We were Junior One champions in 1987 and the played in Inter One for most of our time. I certainly played against Plumstead Pacific in that first season or two. Amazingly we used to produce a programme - it was just when fanzines took off do we created our own to read in the pub after the game.

Great days but Cambrae ended with a violent match against East Dulwich Tavern where our manager Alan Bone was attacked and nobody wanted to play anymore.

We had so many grounds. The sloped pitch by the lake at Danson,which  meant carrying goal posts a country mile and befriending  dinghy owners to retrieve lost balls. I remember playing at Danson one Sunday and a group of us in the pub deciding to go to the CAFC v Blackburn Full Members Cup Final. We  left pub at 1pm and paid on the turnstyle!

There wete plenty of terrible pitches. The postage stamp sized pitches on Blackheath where  there was always a hurricane blowing. Plumstead Common where balls could run away downhill to the high street (and where you had match beers at the Ship who laid on strippers to lure players!)  and Crossways Thamesmead with another bloody lake!

Our manager, Alan Bone, profiteered by buying up multiple pitch permits each Sunday and selling on his spares to other teams in the league.  I'm sure you must have known him Killerjerrylee.

Shit. I'm ex BGS & left in 1983. Bit if a bummer I missed playing for your team.

As for the sloping pitch in Danson park. I remember one game I played on it......it was blowing a hoolie & I happened to be playing in goal. Kicking uphill 1st half & my goal kick went nowhere  caught the wind & went back over my head & off for a corner....!!

Hated playing on Blackheath for the 2 problems of having to lug the goal posts half a bloody mile & then chasing the ball across acres of empty grass when a wild shot went miles.
  • edited September 2019
    I played for Cambrae who were mainly ex Bexley Grammar School lads from 1985 to 1997. We were Junior One champions in 1987 and the played in Inter One for most of our time. I certainly played against Plumstead Pacific in that first season or two. Amazingly we used to produce a programme - it was just when fanzines took off do we created our own to read in the pub after the game.

Shit. I'm ex BGS & left in 1983. Bit if a bummer I missed playing for your team.

As for the sloping pitch in Danson park. I remember one game I played on it......it was blowing a hoolie & I happened to be playing in goal. Kicking uphill 1st half & my goal kick went nowhere  caught the wind & went back over my head & off for a corner....!!

Hated playing on Blackheath for the 2 problems of having to lug the goal posts half a bloody mile & then chasing the ball across acres of empty grass when a wild shot went miles.
    Do you remember the old dressing rooms at blackheath @Golfie absolute shockers. Made Winn’s common look like luxury. 😀
  • edited September 2019
    Hi Golfaddick. I was one of the few who wasn't BGS, I went to Wilmington Grammar but knew the BGS lads through cricket. There was Andy Scott, John Millichope, Ian and Andy Watkins, Andre and Eric Webb. to name a few We also had a few Chis and Sid.