Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

London and Kent Border (Sunday) League

13»

Comments

• edited September 2019
    T_C_E said:
    I played for Cambrae who were mainly ex Bexley Grammar School lads from 1985 to 1997. We were Junior One champions in 1987 and the played in Inter One for most of our time. I certainly played against Plumstead Pacific in that first season or two. Amazingly we used to produce a programme - it was just when fanzines took off do we created our own to read in the pub after the game.

Great days but Cambrae ended with a violent match against East Dulwich Tavern where our manager Alan Bone was attacked and nobody wanted to play anymore.

We had so many grounds. The sloped pitch by the lake at Danson,which  meant carrying goal posts a country mile and befriending  dinghy owners to retrieve lost balls. I remember playing at Danson one Sunday and a group of us in the pub deciding to go to the CAFC v Blackburn Full Members Cup Final. We  left pub at 1pm and paid on the turnstyle!

There wete plenty of terrible pitches. The postage stamp sized pitches on Blackheath where  there was always a hurricane blowing. Plumstead Common where balls could run away downhill to the high street (and where you had match beers at the Ship who laid on strippers to lure players!)  and Crossways Thamesmead with another bloody lake!

Our manager, Alan Bone, profiteered by buying up multiple pitch permits each Sunday and selling on his spares to other teams in the league.  I'm sure you must have known him Killerjerrylee.

Shit. I'm ex BGS & left in 1983. Bit if a bummer I missed playing for your team.

As for the sloping pitch in Danson park. I remember one game I played on it......it was blowing a hoolie & I happened to be playing in goal. Kicking uphill 1st half & my goal kick went nowhere  caught the wind & went back over my head & off for a corner....!!

Hated playing on Blackheath for the 2 problems of having to lug the goal posts half a bloody mile & then chasing the ball across acres of empty grass when a wild shot went miles.
    Do you remember the old dressing rooms at blackheath @Golfie absolute shockers. Made Winn’s common look like luxury. 😀
    Sorry I dont........but must have been better than the ones we had to change in when I played for the Boys Brigade in the early 80's. Home "pitch" was at Foots Cray Meadows & facilities were 2 portakabins by the side of a layby (near now what is called Crazy Barn). 
  • Played for Leegate Athletic in the LKB, early to mid 70's got to say nothing beats Hackney Marshes facilities cattle troughs to wash in, had to break the ice before you could use them sometimes.
  • To Peter Gage,so sorry to hear about your brother,he was a lovely guy,and to be fair he could look after himself.I remember one day when we had an impromptu kickabout going on the playground ,one of the local hardnuts from another estate started throwing his weight about and Laurie gave him real good hiding,the guy never came back.Hope all is well with you.
  • All this nostalgea is bringing a lump to my throat.I once had an old uncle ,a very good boxer,who told me when I wa s about 16 that every friend I make will be through sport.he was not far wrong,I played for Whitworth in the LKB over 50 years ago,sadly half of the team are gone,but 3-4 of us still meet playing golf once a week,having played squash together for many tears until the knees gave out.Sadly I do think park football is on the decline,there was great camradie in the old days,playing in freezing conditions,no showers,carrying posts for miles,no goal nets,twenty teams changing in a barn(Blackheath),I would not have missed it for anything.Nowadays youngsters just seem to want to play on their phones.
  • Solidgone said:
    Solidgone said:
    I played in the LKB  from 1970 with Plumstead Pacific
    Played for the Woodman, which became the Who’d have thought it, during the 90’s. Played a few games for Plumstead Pacific when I didn’t have a game.
    I also played for Plumstead Pacific out of the Melbourne Arms. Then formed own team Remon that sailed through the leagues at Butterfly Lane. Later disbanded due to costs. Then played for Belvedere (Utd?) in the Kent Suburban league in the prem. Alas knee problems ended my football. 

I also played for Plumstead Pacific and was a founder member of Ramon, great times.
    @gazzaddick is that Mr Wright by any chance?
    Sure is Mr.???? Did you play full back by any chance.
    Yep. I’ll try and catch up in the fans bar Leeds match. 
  • Walker Sports were one of the founding members of the LKB, back in 1964 when it was known as the Delphis League. (before my time as  I only joined Addington Manor in 1970). I think Walker Sports were the last of the original clubs to fold. We played many games against Heathway.   Their Dennis Osborn was on the Management Committee for years.
  • Used to watch walker sports when I was a kid, then played for well hall Utd and Lincoln 
    Broke my leg playing for Walker Sports in 1978. Then took up refereeing in 1978
    only retired as a referee two years ago aged 70. By the way I went to school with Peter Gage.

Did you break your leg playing at Plumstead common and did your dad live on Charlton church lane if so I must have played for walker sports at the same time
    Hi CharltonPete,
    it was indeed Plumstead Common mate, Dave Hales was our GK.
  • To Peter Gage,so sorry to hear about your brother,he was a lovely guy,and to be fair he could look after himself.I remember one day when we had an impromptu kickabout going on the playground ,one of the local hardnuts from another estate started throwing his weight about and Laurie gave him real good hiding,the guy never came back.Hope all is well with you.
    Thanks Ray for your kind sentiments.
  • Used to watch walker sports when I was a kid, then played for well hall Utd and Lincoln 
    only retired as a referee two years ago aged 70. By the way I went to school with Peter Gage.

Did you break your leg playing at Plumstead common and did your dad live on Charlton church lane if so I must have played for walker sports at the same time
    Hi CharltonPete,
    Remember it well very nasty fracture and waiting ages for the ambulance then having a fund raising disco for you, hope you are well. We used to train on a Thursday evening at sutcliffe park and occasionally under the floodlights at borough of Greenwich ground with Mark Penfold 
  • Pretty sure that was the league the team I played for - Garelli - was in. Deffo not top division! It was made up of schoolmates from our rugby- only school. Think I was the only Charlton fan who played in it. 
    I played a couple of seasons for Garelli remember some of the team originated from posh school in Catford if that's not a contradiction. (St Dunstans i think) must have been the early 70s captian and club secretary was  Nigel Judd and another name I remember was Stuart Southwell (Spurs Fan) all that was good about  Sunday football playing with a hangover, at places like Blackheath and hackney marshes although I think the home was Norman Park Bromley. Fags at half time with a quarter of an orange. a couple of pints after the  game and then home  for lunch and watch the  big match if the game was near where I  lived (Bexleyheath) still time to catch last orders (2pm) in the  Jolly Drayman where there was the added bonus of  strippers (yes on a Sunday lunchtime happy days    
    Bloody hell. Nigel and Stuart were my classmates and good friends. Nigel was a Spurs fan too. Both very decent players, although Stu had an incendiary temper. Maybe you also remember Cliff Steer, a West Ham fan, lovely bloke. I think it was probably only formed in '71, and I went off to Portsmouth Poly in autumn 72, so that was it for me, sounds like you might have joined after that.

Ha some  more names have come  back into my memory I do remeber Cliff Steer as you say lovely  bloke parents lived in a  big house in Shirley think they  were pretty well off. Cliff's younger brother (Mark I  think) also played and although young was very good. re Stu incendiary temper I remember it well. In our only sucsess in my time with them Stu was sent off in the  final of the colliers cup (which we won 3-0) for calling the ref a bald headed c**t. 
    Bit awkward as Mr Southwell senior was our manager. Other names I think were Ian Hamilton bit of a hippy with a fit girl friend and a great turn of speed  over 10 yards. Paul Smith who was ginger. and Dick Stewart something double barrelled 

I know this is seriously sad but tucked away somewhere I may have the programme from that cup final and the winners shield.  

• Sponsored links:

• I had a couple of seasons with R.E.M.E. circa 1969/70. Home ground was Woolwuch Stadium. Peter Munns was our manager. Good side but the only players I remember are Kevin Todd and Syd Dampier
  • Played for Centaurs in the LKB early 80's, home ground was the Civil Service Ground, now Goals in Eltham. Remember receiving a medal from Theo Foley at Greenwich Town Hall one presentation evening. 

Hi CharltonPete,
    Dave Hales was manager when I watched them.
  • johnboy59 said:
    Pretty sure that was the league the team I played for - Garelli - was in. Deffo not top division! It was made up of schoolmates from our rugby- only school. Think I was the only Charlton fan who played in it. 
    I played a couple of seasons for Garelli remember some of the team originated from posh school in Catford if that's not a contradiction. (St Dunstans i think) must have been the early 70s captian and club secretary was  Nigel Judd and another name I remember was Stuart Southwell (Spurs Fan) all that was good about  Sunday football playing with a hangover, at places like Blackheath and hackney marshes although I think the home was Norman Park Bromley. Fags at half time with a quarter of an orange. a couple of pints after the  game and then home  for lunch and watch the  big match if the game was near where I  lived (Bexleyheath) still time to catch last orders (2pm) in the  Jolly Drayman where there was the added bonus of  strippers (yes on a Sunday lunchtime happy days    
    Bloody hell. Nigel and Stuart were my classmates and good friends. Nigel was a Spurs fan too. Both very decent players, although Stu had an incendiary temper. Maybe you also remember Cliff Steer, a West Ham fan, lovely bloke. I think it was probably only formed in '71, and I went off to Portsmouth Poly in autumn 72, so that was it for me, sounds like you might have joined after that.

Ha some  more names have come  back into my memory I do remeber Cliff Steer as you say lovely  bloke parents lived in a  big house in Shirley think they  were pretty well off. Cliff's younger brother (Mark I  think) also played and although young was very good. re Stu incendiary temper I remember it well. In our only sucsess in my time with them Stu was sent off in the  final of the colliers cup (which we won 3-0) for calling the ref a bald headed c**t. 
    Bit awkward as Mr Southwell senior was our manager. Other names I think were Ian Hamilton bit of a hippy with a fit girl friend and a great turn of speed  over 10 yards. Paul Smith who was ginger. and Dick Stewart something double barrelled 

I know this is seriously sad but tucked away somewhere I may have the programme from that cup final and the winners shield.  

:-) Smithy was a mate from early days. Palace, though. :-( don't think I know the other two. Classic Stu story, he was sent off for a similar personal appraisal of the ref in a game I played in. 
  • I was one of the founding members of The Beehive (New Eltham) football team, we started in the Woolwich and District League (I think it was called) and we used Avery Hill Park as our home ground, but often played at Plumstead Common. We won most things in that league and then transferred to London and Kent Border League. All this would have been around 1975/6, I left the side in 1980 when I had moved from New Eltham to Strood. I then joined a team down there called Wainscott FC, but a knee injury in 1982 finished my playing days, although I did turn out in the Umbro over 35's National league where our team was stuffed full of ex-pros who had recently retired, we got through to the Q/F's and then got smashed 6-0 by a team of Peterborough Utd veterans. Happy days though, played my last ever game aged 42 in Nottinghamshire, again with a team full of ex-pros and semi-pros all in our 40's and played a team travelling around the East Midlands who came up from Hackney.....all of them in their late teens/early 20's......quick little bastards they were to!!! I lasted about 20 minutes before I was blowing out my arse!!

Hi CharltonPete,
    Remember it well very nasty fracture and waiting ages for the ambulance then having a fund raising disco for you, hope you are well. We used to train on a Thursday evening at sutcliffe park and occasionally under the floodlights at borough of Greenwich ground with Mark Penfold 
    Good crowd were Walker Sports I played a few games afterwards but I knew the leg was not the same,so took up the whistle instead. Got involved as Referees Secretary on the Woolwich & District Sunday Football League. Refereed on the W&DSFL , Spartan League and was a Linesman on the Southern League. Now live in Chesterfield. 
  • I played North Kent Sunday League from 1986 (aged 16) until I knackered my right knee in 2006

I am shocked at what some of you are saying people have to pay these days to play amateur football !!!

I would not be prepared to pay that on an f'ing cold February Sunday morning, with a massive hangover and playing against a side you know are gonna kick lumps out of you !!
  • I played North Kent Sunday League from 1986 (aged 16) until I knackered my right knee in 2006

I am shocked at what some of you are saying people have to pay these days to play amateur football !!!

I would not be prepared to pay that on an f'ing cold February Sunday morning, with a massive hangover and playing against a side you know are gonna kick lumps out of you !!
    That was half the fun....worlds worst hangover,on a pitch of frozen concrete,against a team of psychopaths and no ref. :)
  • This after walking a mile with the posts,no nets,no showers afterwards,but straight in the pub after the game.I remember a game years 50 odd years ago at Peckham Rye,(the arsehole of the earth for playing football)Pissing down all game,the opposition resembled the Kray Twins and their mates,lost about 5-0 then went to the changing rooms only to find some bastard had cleaned them out.most of our clothes where nicked but luckily car keys and some money where still there.I had just bought a new Puma Holdall which they nicked and must of used to put all the gear in.We looked a load of idiots standing in the pub in soaking wet football gear ,happy days.
  • In case anybody is assuming the bastards had a conscience and left us some money and keys,the standard practise was to put valuables in a sock and let the manager look after them while we played.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd forgotten about the pre match sock ritual trying to stuff watches,keys and wallets from 12 of us ( only one sub then too!) . Luckily our manager had size 12 feet!
  • Played & helped run Bromford Town in mid/late 90s.
    Having played in the Southern Amateur League for Lloyds Bank the LKB was a real culture shock.
    Teams like The Dutch House were just a bunch of thugs.
  • Was there nothing better than have your game called off and you could get into the pub before 11 even though they didn't open before 12 and they closed at 2 on a Sunday.
  • If you were really lucky, the other team would lay on roast potatoes and little sausages in the pub or bar after the game.
  • Macronate said:
    If you were really lucky, the other team would lay on roast potatoes and little sausages in the pub or bar after the game.
    The pub up at West Kingdsown was famous for it. Ex-colleague & team mate's parents ran it. Fox & Hounds...(???)
  • Macronate said:
    If you were really lucky, the other team would lay on roast potatoes and little sausages in the pub or bar after the game.
    The pub up at West Kingdsown was famous for it. Ex-colleague & team mate's parents ran it. Fox & Hounds...(???)
    Either Portobello or Gamecock ?