Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Middlesbrough to sue EFL over Pride Park sale to Derby owner

Sueing the EFL for failing to uphold their own financial rules

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49687098

Comments

• Middlesbrough are set to sue the English Football League for allegedly failing to uphold their financial rules with regards to the Derby County owner's purchase of Pride Park.

Boro - who missed out on a Championship play-off place by finishing one point behind Derby last season - have sent a legal letter to the EFL, whose board met on Thursday.

The EFL are set to conduct independent valuations regarding sales by Derby, Sheffield Wednesday and Reading of their own grounds to their owners.

Both Middlesbrough and the EFL have declined to comment on the issue, first reported by The Times.

In May, the issue was raised by Leeds United owner Andrea Radrizzani, who accused Derby of "cheating" after owner Mel Morris bought Pride Park for £80m and leased it back to the club, helping the Rams achieve a profit of £14.6m.

Earlier this summer, it was reported some Premier League clubs wanted the apparent loophole closed.

Derby have defended the sale of their stadium, saying they conducted an independent commercial valuation prior to the deal being completed.

Aston Villa's sale of Villa Park to the club's owners is also set to be scrutinised by the Premier League, to establish whether it may have breached financial fair play rules.

The stadium was sold in May for £56.7m to owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens via NSWE Stadium Ltd, a company controlled by the two billionaires.

The deal helped Villa comply with the EFL's profit and sustainability rules.

Villa, promoted to the top flight in May, insist any such review is standard practice, and part of the normal assessments that all clubs face.

• I must admit, I was surprised they could get away with something like that. 
  • I assume thhe FPL/FA will also look into shirt sposnorship for Man City?
  • I assume thhe FPL/FA will also look into shirt sposnorship for Man City?
    And Derbys 32 red deal off the back of Rooney signing 
  • Amuses me that despite their best efforts to do this

Derby (19th) | Sheffield Wednesday (11th) | Reading (16th) arent exactly doing great in the League!!

Derby (19th) | Sheffield Wednesday (11th) | Reading (16th) arent exactly doing great in the League!!
    But maybe greater than they would be doing without it......

But maybe greater than they would be doing without it......
    Exactly. They wouldn't have Bielik for starters.
  • Wonder which stadium they’ll sell to themselves next year... 
    They'll find another Director who has decided that HE wants to buy the Stadium from whoever own it next
  • Sponsored links:

They'll find another Director who has decided that HE wants to buy the Stadium from whoever own it next
    They will sell it back and buy it back again.  Real Madrid used to do this with their training ground for diffrent but also wrong reasons. 
  • The EFL will do absolutely nothing about this.

'Boro would have been better off reporting them for the owner having pizzas delivered post match to the home dressing room. 
  • The EFL, not fit for purpose.
  • edited September 2019
    The FFP rules are incredibly poorly written and contradictory and not fit for purpose. They stipulate that the calculation is on net profit before tax adjusted to take account of - they then list the allowable adjustments.  But the net profit already reflects these adjustments, so it reads as though they should disallow the allowances.
  • and Sunderland are suing their one-time medical officer for (wait for it) .. over £13 Million as the result of negligence over the medical examination of a new signing 
  • edited September 2019
    It is great seeing Derby doing so badly. Cheats usually do prosper but when they don't you have to rejoice. Let's hope they go down.