Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

edited September 2019 in General Charlton
Charlton Athletic v Swansea City
Wednesday 3rd October | Kick-Off: 19:45pm
Referee: Peter Bankes (Merseyside)

Introduction
After our fantastic and resolute performance against the league favourites Leeds United on Saturday, resulting in a wonderful 1-0 win, we return back to The Valley for our first game in October. It would be fair to say the run of the so called 'tough games' are now well and truly under way. But as Saturday proved, this league is so unpredictable as anyone really can beat anyone on the day. This time though, we are up against a club from the centre of South Wales, sitting pretty in second place, Swansea City.

Opposition
Manager: Steve Cooper (67% win rate)
Stadium: Liberty Stadium
Nickname(s): The Swans
Fun facts:
- Swansea City's mascot, Cyril the Swan, was banned for two matches in 1999 after clashing with then Norwich City Director of Football, Bryan Hamilton.

- The most league goals a Swansea player has scored in a single match is 5, by Jack Fowler against Charlton Athletic in Division 3 South back on 27th December 1924. The game finished 6-1 and our opponents that day were known as their former name, Swansea Town.

Swansea have a suspension in Jake Bidwell, their usual left back got a straight red card against Bristol City on 21st September for a reckless challenge, so a change at the back from their usual defence was required on Saturday against Reading. The Welsh club often play a 4-2-3-1 formation - their previous line up against The Royals was:

Woodman
Roberts van der Hoorn Roden Naughton
Fulton Grimes
Ayew Byers Celina
Borja

The Swans impressive start to the season could have come to a surprise for a few of us with their manager, Steve Cooper, not having any proper club managerial experience before his appointment in the summer - replacing the outgoing Graham Potter who went to Brighton. However, a club who are still receiving parachute payments after their relegation from the Premier League in 2018, it could be argued that maybe they are where they should be - even after losing key players like Daniel James and Oli McBurnie to Manchester United and Sheffield United respectively.

Swansea's away form has been excellent so far this season, with wins coming at QPR and Leeds United, and a further two solid 0-0 draws away at Derby County and Bristol City. In fact, as the draws suggest, keeping a clean sheet this season has not proved to be too difficult; with 4 clean sheets, two of which coming in their last 2 away games, this is a team that you would expect to be resilient and well organised.

The last time Swansea played 3 league games in a week, they won them all. Not possible this time after surrendering the lead late on against Reading. However, in those games they scored 3 goals in each match. Interestingly, they also only made three changes to their starting XI across those matches. Maybe there is a theme of the number that comes after 2... but let's hope that is us on our third midweek game of the season that comes away with the vital 3 points!

Of course, every team has their own strengths and weaknesses. Key strengths that have been highlighted in watching previous games of Swansea are crosses and attacking set-pieces, especially corners. This is a team that is strong at regularly creating good chances as their delivery is usually very good - specifically the in-swinger from the right hand side, often taken by Celina, a clever Kosovo international midfielder. Further to this, Swansea also have great pace in their team, something that is we were to take Leko out, we don't have a player with a real turn of blistering pace. The Swans have wingers such as Nathan Dyer and Wayne Routledge, neither of whom can get a state at the moment, but they also have André Ayew, an experienced Ghanian international who has played in The Champions League. Our defence is going to have to be alert of his threat in behind. Finally, they also have a goal scorer up front. Borja has 6 goals so far this season. The tall 27 year-old Spaniard was initially signed for £15.5mil in 2016 but was out on loan last season to Alaves. He's come back this season and proving to be a threat in The Championship.

Regarding their weaknesses, defending crosses, especially low crosses is a way of causing them a lot of trouble. With possessing a player like Bonne, his natural instincts in front of goal should take him towards running to the near post on a low cross, this would be wise move within our game plan. Swansea are not particularly good at tracking runners in the box, they're slow in transition, and they have poor anticipation of opponents runs. Bowyer ought to be telling the players that this is a team that will not track our midfielders going forward. Gallagher could get into some very good positions if given the license to roam into the box. It's little details like these the could be the difference in getting a positive result.

Charlton Team News
With Solly’s inability to play three games in a week, it would be fair to assume that one of Oshilaja or Matthews will start. If it is the latter, he will make his debut after signing for us at the beginning of September. Other changes could see Pearce coming in for Sarr, Field coming in for Pratley, and Oztumer coming in for Williams. Although, I felt his performance on Saturday, albeit only for 56 minutes, was outstanding. If any of them drop out of the side from Saturday it will be very unfortunate, but it is a long season and we have to make sure we protect certain players and positions.

With injuries starting to stack up a bit as Page, Kayal, Hemed, Lapslie, and of course Taylor are all still out, we only really have a squad of 19 or 20 players to choose from. Overall, predicting the team for this one is tough, as the players will be tired after the incredible effort they put in against Leeds on Saturday. Whilst it’s not even 24 hours since the game finished. We must see how they’re going and recovering before we can make a better judgement.

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Sarr, Pratley, Forster-Caskey, Oztumer, Aneke

Prediction
Another hard game against a team who have been strong so far this season. However, Swansea are now actually without a win in their last 4 games in all competitions, the last coming against Leeds at the end of August. This factoring in with the great result we got against Leeds, and not having to travel away anywhere in midweek, the feel good factor that has returned could continue for a few more days yet. Williams to get an extremely rare career goal in front of The Covered End. 

Charlton Athletic 2-1 Swansea City
Williams
Gallagher

Comments

• Good preview Sage.
    Like you I think Bowyer will rest a few from yesterday's game what with three games in a week. 
    I reckon we will nick this one 1.0 to keep the feel Good factor following our win over Leeds. 
  • Referee is Premier league referee Peter Bankes mate 
  • Referee is Premier league referee Peter Bankes mate 
    Perfect, thank you.
  • I was unaware George is injured. What's up with him?
  • LenGlover said:
    I was unaware George is injured. What's up with him?
    Picked up a minor hamstring injury. He’ll be back soon, but probably be after the international break now.
  • Phillips
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pearce Purrington
    Field
    Gallagher Cullen
    Williams
    Bonne Leko

Another shithoused 1-0 win
  • Can't see past etc
  • Phillips
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pearce Purrington
    Field
    Gallagher Cullen
    Williams
    Bonne Leko

Another shithoused 1-0 win
    I can see Oztumer starting if Jonny doesn’t make it, plus I think LB will play Sarr and save Pearce for Fulham
  • Could it be Oshilaja at RB and Matthews at LB, as Solly and Purrington may need to be rested. Not ideal but long old Season and Purrs is playing with a calf strain and Chris should not play 3 in a week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Great Preview as always @Sage mate

Going to be curious to see what the line up is as Williams appeared to be holding his groin before being subbed yesterday and Cullen fell to the floor before limping back to help out in defence later in the second half - Means we could see a very different line up but being those players you wouldnt be surprised to see them carrying on

Williams being rested though is pretty obvious though and think he'll be better against Fulham... Could be an opportunity for Aneke to start?

Regardless I hope that Bonne gets another run out, after suffering cramp though I wouldnt be surprised if Hemed were to come back (if he's fit of course)

As for Swansea I'm glad they're doing well in a way - Steve Cooper did an excellent job with the England Youth Teams and is good to see him getting a chance within the club game... You could question if thats why they're doing so well, i.e. Cooper is used to getting a misfit squad working well together in a short space of time - Only debate is whether they can keep it up
  • I thought this was meant to be live on sky?
  • edited September 2019
    I thought this was meant to be live on sky?
    It will be... Red Button

If you dont have that option you will be able to purchase a Match Pass on VP for £10 if your in the UK or £5 if your outside the UK
  • Good write up Sage, facts I was not aware of. It is good to see more positivity than before Leeds game. Positive as ever, 2-0 win
  • Could it be Oshilaja at RB and Matthews at LB, as Solly and Purrington may need to be rested. Not ideal but long old Season and Purrs is playing with a calf strain and Chris should not play 3 in a week.
    That is something I was considering as well but left it out due to it meaning a lot of changes in defence, especially if Pearce was to play instead of Sarr.
  • Great Preview as always @Sage mate

Going to be curious to see what the line up is as Williams appeared to be holding his groin before being subbed yesterday and Cullen fell to the floor before limping back to help out in defence later in the second half - Means we could see a very different line up but being those players you wouldnt be surprised to see them carrying on

Williams being rested though is pretty obvious though and think he'll be better against Fulham... Could be an opportunity for Aneke to start?

Regardless I hope that Bonne gets another run out, after suffering cramp though I wouldnt be surprised if Hemed were to come back (if he's fit of course)

As for Swansea I'm glad they're doing well in a way - Steve Cooper did an excellent job with the England Youth Teams and is good to see him getting a chance within the club game... You could question if thats why they're doing so well, i.e. Cooper is used to getting a misfit squad working well together in a short space of time - Only debate is whether they can keep it up
    Thanks FA.

I do agree about Williams, and do think that Oztumer or Aneke will come in for him. Just with my hunch/prediction, I couldn’t then leave him out! For me, Cullen plays 100%. Bow has never not played Cullen when he’s been available and I think that says everything.
  • Really looking forward to this. It's great wanting to go to The Valley rather than just going out of habit.
    It’s a happy Valley again, aye :smile:
  • I'd be surprised if Williams starts, with the wizard of Oz coming in for him. Field in too. Both changes you mentioned.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Aneke come in for Bonne, if Bowyer wants to use Chuks as a striker. Bonne surpassed all my expectations of him yesterday however and would be happy or him to be up there again.
  • ross1 said:
     It is good to see more positivity than before Leeds game. 
    The Bowyer factor means we (me) can no longer make lazy, pessimistic, cliched assumptions anymore.
    Enjoy every game and be prepared to be surprised and delighted; that's my new philosophy  :)
  • Sponsored links:

• Great preview Sage. Hope Steve Cooper doesn't read it.
  • 1-1 

said before Leeds out of the next 3 i would take 4 points. 

we have 3 already so a draw out of either swansea or fulham i do not think is bad. 
  • Sage said:
    Could it be Oshilaja at RB and Matthews at LB, as Solly and Purrington may need to be rested. Not ideal but long old Season and Purrs is playing with a calf strain and Chris should not play 3 in a week.
    That is something I was considering as well but left it out due to it meaning a lot of changes in defence, especially if Pearce was to play instead of Sarr.
    Oshilaja has played all along the back line so if a change is to be made would it not be better to give Williams his debut in his position of right back and put Osi over on the left?
  • A few changes to rest players: Matthews for Solly, Field (had a great cameo on Saturday)  for Pratley.  Oztumer for Williams.  Be a tough game.  Heart says 2-1, head says 1-1.
  • I don’t get this resting players crap. If they are fit, played in the last game and played well then they should play again. 
  • I'm sure Bowyer will freshen it up a bit, as the players put in a real shift on Saturday. I wonder if JFC will feature more, I've not been impressed with him since coming back from injury but he has been on the bench.

We do need to keep the ball better, we've seen to gone from Dillon passing it to a CB in his box to Dillon kicking long and giving the ball straight back to the opponents and putting us back under pressure.
  • I don’t get this resting players crap. If they are fit, played in the last game and played well then they should play again. 
    Because we looked extremely fresh and fit when we faced Brentford after the back to back Barnsley / Nottingham Forest games didnt we

Do you really think it wise to play the same players against Leeds / Swansea / Fulham, especially when Bowyer said that the players were running on fumes around 80mins on Saturday
  • Is the game going to be on Sky on the red button? I heard midweek championship games can be watched live? 
    I'm away with work, but will try to squeeze in watching the game if so
  • edited September 2019
    Sage said:
    Could it be Oshilaja at RB and Matthews at LB, as Solly and Purrington may need to be rested. Not ideal but long old Season and Purrs is playing with a calf strain and Chris should not play 3 in a week.
    TBF to Matthews when he makes his Cafc debut it would be kinder to him if it's at RB but needs must, and another option would be to play Solly against the Swans and then he gets a rest until the 19th October.

Solly, Lockyer, Sarr, Matthews (Swansea)
    Oshilaja, Lockyer, Pearce, Purr(Fulham)

This is about managing Injuries, IF the medical team feel Purrington can play 3 in a week fine, before having a rest in the international break but our Wembley goal scoring hero is our steady Eddie and we don't want to make the calf strain worse.

3 Championship matches in a week is a tough ask and most of us would have taken 4 points from Leeds, Swansea and Fulham.

So draw against the Welsh, and our usual result against Fulham when Gallagher and Cullen will be running on empty.