Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Athletic v Swansea City | Wednesday 3 October | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Comments

• I've got a sneaky feeling we might nick this one as well. Oshilaja for Solly seems a no brainer. I'd also do Chuks for Leko and bring Leko on second half. I'd probably also start Otzumer for Williams if he has any slight niggle whatsoever - if he hasn't i'd just play him first half. Keep everything else the same but get Field on for Pratley early second half ideally.
  • Not sure which thread to post this in but I've got a spare adult ticket in J Block, North Upper. Will take £10

• I never heard about Bowyer in line for Swansea managers job

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49880381
  • VinceK said:
    Not sure which thread to post this in but I've got a spare adult ticket in J Block, North Upper. Will take £10

I’ll have mate
  • I'm heading down to Swansea for the match on 2nd October, so I'll let you all know the score before the 3rd October game in the thread title - and you can lump on the result, which will be 1-1.
  • edited October 2019
    I also did request a title change as I can’t do it myself. But seems it might be a tall order for some :wink:

Gotta make sure the wink is there, in case that’s taken seriously! :smiley:
  • Dull 1-1.
    Never dull. Not recently, anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Concerned Fulham just won 4-0... If we beat Swansea we'll be back top two.
  • MrWalker said:
    I'm heading down to Swansea for the match on 2nd October, so I'll let you all know the score before the 3rd October game in the thread title - and you can lump on the result, which will be 1-1.
    Head down  to Swansea if you want mate. 
    But the game is at the valley. 
    That's on the 3rd. ;-)
    Do you want to know the score in advance or not?
  • 6-0 seen it before... Whose says it won't happen again... Do that and we are top. Lockyer hatrick, Solly 2 and an og. 
  • That team in the preview but with Oztumer in for Williams, same midfield we had for midweek V Forest which was electric particularly first half.  

1-1 Gallagher.  Which leaves us a nice 2 points above 8th.
  • Any idea when Page is back? Might need to get another left back, as we can't seem to rely on him
  • Only changes I’d consider making are at full back. Purrington still continues to play with that niggle while Solly struggles to make it through three games a week.

We could see any combination of

Solly Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Solly Lockyer Sarr Matthews
    Solly Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Solly Lockyer Pearce Purrington
    Oshilaja Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Oshilaja Lockyer Sarr Matthews
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pearce Purrington
    Matthews Lockyer Sarr Purrington
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Sarr
    Matthews Lockyer Pearce Purrington

Think I’ve just demonstrated to myself how invaluable Lockyer has become in the last 4-6 weeks...

Anyway enough rambling about the back four. I reckon we can nick this one 2-1 and go home feeling all rosey about our place in the top two after ten games.
  • edited October 2019
    Much like Solly, can Williams do three games in a week? I remember he was also rested for the game against Forest.

As well as that, he was taken off fairly early at the weekend.

Is that a cause for concern about his fitness or did Bow pull him early with the midweek game in the back of his mind?

Guess we’ll find out later in the evening.
  • Much like Solly, can Williams do three games in a week? I remember he was also rested for the game against Forest.

As well as that, he was taken off fairly early at the weekend.

Is that a cause for concern about his fitness or did Bow pull him early with the midweek game in the back of his mind?

Guess we’ll find out later in the evening.
    I’d rest Solly.  IMO the reason he is playing so well is that he’s had good amounts of time off between his starts 
  • As others have said i'm sure there will be 2-3 changes tonight, especially after a very tough game against Leeds. Yes i'm sure he could put out the same XI tonight, but you have to be sensible and it's a long season. If capable deputies are there like Oshilaja, Field etc and they don't weaken the side then why not freshen things up.

Is Williams fit, as i know he went off with a slight injury doubt on saturday?
  • Well written preview.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2019
    With more consideration, I think resting Purrington tonight could be the best decision long term. When you think back exactly one year ago today, we played Scunthorpe away in what was a crazy game that unfortunately we came out on the wrong side of. Well as we all know, Page came off that night after only 5 minutes - he had been carrying an injury for around a month, but because we didn't have another left back and our squad already wasn't very big, he had to keep playing until he broke down. That was his last competitive game for us. A year ago today.

As Purrington has been carrying this calf injury and has been unable to train throughout the week, up until the day before our game, it has to be the best decision to let him sit out of this one and be ready for Saturday instead. With this, we then enter the second international break of the season, meaning no game for 2 weeks. It's a perfect opportunity to get some rehab into him and a well earned rest.

Rest Purrington tonight so he can play on Saturday in what is in theory, a harder game. The worse thing we should be doing is playing him tonight and he breaks down the exact same way Page did, a year ago today.

Therefore, with considering the impact 3 games in a week has on Solly, Williams, and of course now Purrington in his current situation, I have altered my predicted team (although, I do still want Williams to play and score tonight!). Also, I think because of having no Solly and probably no Pratley in the starting XI, Pearce has to come in for Sarr. 

Phillips
    Oshilaja Lockyer Pearce Matthews
    Field
    Cullen Gallagher
    Oztumer
    Leko Bonne
  • I am sure Oshilaja, Field and Oztumer will start.

Bow has managed his squad much better than any manager I remember. He's not gonna stop now.
  • A clear, cool day and no rain forecast. Perfect for going to football and the noise levels will have that extra edge to them. Anybody been keeping track of ticket sales ?
  • A clear, cool day and no rain forecast. Perfect for going to football and the noise levels will have that extra edge to them. Anybody been keeping track of ticket sales ?
    Ticket website saying we still have 6,300 left + the blocks that are off sale in the East and West. Unsure how many Swansea have sold but it's looking a far, far smaller crowd than Leeds for example. 
  • hopefully Pearce and Sarr both play so we can sing José Feliciano's feliz navidad

Pearce Naby Sarr, Jason Pearce Naby Sarr

oh and Charlron to win 5-0  Bonne x3, Pratley and Cullen
  • Scoham said:
    It is really daft... i.e. When we played Brentford on the Saturday it was fine because we'd both played the Wednesday

Why not have the fixtures falling that way across all midweek games so no one gets an advantage
  • Scoham said:
    It is really daft... i.e. When we played Brentford on the Saturday it was fine because we'd both played the Wednesday

Why not have the fixtures falling that way across all midweek games so no one gets an advantage
    Part and parcel of modern day football.

Always going to be one team getting more or less rest because of games on a Friday night, early/late saturday, Sunday etc. 

This week has worked out well for Fulham as they played friday night so got more rest than Reading, and now they'll get more rest than us before Saturday but in another week they might play Sunday-Wednesday and get less rest than a side that plays Saturday.
  • 1-1 Late equaliser from those boys from Wales. I'll take a draw right now
  • Dazzler21 said:
    I'd like to see

Phillips
    Solly, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington
    Pratley
    Cullen, Gallagher
    Oztumer
    Bonne, Aneke

Subs: 
    Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Field, Forster-Caskey, Williams, Leko

2-0

I don't know if this is how we will line up, but I think Aneke could be a good foil dor Bonne, he's big and strong and should be able to win some flick ons for Bonne to work off of. 

I expect to see something like this to once again nullify the width of a better side:
    Yep a flat 4-4-2 that can switch up to a 4-4-2 diamond, where Pratley can drop deep and allow Gallagher and Cullen to marshall midfield and Oztumer to push forward to support Leko and Bonne. I think Williams will need the rest and I want to see more of Ozzy, so there's a touch of hope in there. 

Phillips
    Solly, Lockyer, Sarr, Purrington
    Oztumer, Pratley, Cullen, Gallagher
    Bonne, Leko

Subs: Amos, Oshilaja, Pearce, Field, Forster-Caskey, Williams, Aneke

1-1
    Like that first one alot.

Be good to see Oztumer running off any flick ons or if the balls being held up by Mt.Chucks then getting into the box!