Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

MESSAGE TO THE BOARD

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
Guys I know some of you will read this...I for one know you're in as much pain as I and all Addicks in every far flung corner of the world.
I know it's always a risky thing to say you speak on other folks behalf but the feel I am getting from the message board right now is that the guy who seems to be ticking a lot of boxes is our old pal Paulo Di Canio.
Yes a bit of a gamble that's true and for a number of reasons of course.....but hey without sounding over dramatic we are seemingly at the gates of hell!
Whether he would stay around long(as some are suggesting) who knows guys but this club desperately needs a huge lift with a huge character and let's face it time isn't on our side.
Di Canio was spoken of in glowing terms as a consumate pro by Curbs and he had tremendous influence on all who came into contact with him, especially at Sparrows Lane...and particularly with the youth players according to Curbs.
It's not for me or any of us here to say what you should or shouldn't do...if for no other reason than it's not our money we're talking about and easy enough from the comfort of my study chair.
This is just one plea from one fan...with I think the backing of a fair few around here.
IF he's available and IF you want to take the plunge I'd say you'd have the backing of the majority of us Addicks...even those with some missgivings wouldn't complain that much I think.
Hell of a call I agree and I may be well off the pace here with this view...I've no doubt there'll be a few dissenters already typing away furiously...but hey guys what the hell...we're well in the shyte.
Just my view chaps...but then what the hell do I know compaired to you, you have your collective fingers on the pulse one assumes....if he were to take over and we are sitting here with even more egg on our faces in a few months time well we'd at least all be in it together, if you gave the fans what many of them seem to want.
Finaly the last thing I want to do is cause any of you or employees of CAFC embarrassment or ill feeling...there's enough of that around to last us all a lifetime at the moment.....I wish to make it perfectly clear that is in no way my intention.Some big mistakes have been made and I know you'd all readily admit to them, which is what makes you guys a bit special in my and many other Addicks eyes...by that I mean your honesty.
Maybe PDC would be a step too far for you, in which case I guess I'd understand.....but at the expense of repeating myself ...what the hell!
For me (and a good few others it would seem), Paulo Di Canio is the man.
UP THE ADDICKS!

Ducks and waits for flack!!!

Comments

• Greenwich council would have a baby if Paulo was our new manager.

I would love him to be our next boss.
  • I really don't see what difference his political views make. I want someone competent to manage this football Club not stand for PM.
  • No thanks.
  • [cite]Posted By: LargeAddick[/cite]I really don't see what difference his political views make. I want someone competent to manage this football Club not stand for PM.

He could never be PM, he is honest.
  • I personally think it would be suicide to get Di Canio in.........

We need stabilitiy which PDC wouldn't give us because at the first sign of an inkling of a job at West Ham will be off.

BUT on the other hand I see why people want him because he would bring a bit of passion back to the club - -
  • is there not another thread for all the Di Canio stuff ?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]because at the first sign of an inkling of a job at West Ham will be off.

so what. That would mean that he'd have done a good job for us. If he came in now, kept us up and left at the end of the season I'd take that now.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I see why people want him because he would bring a bit of passion back to the club - -

Its got nothing to do with passion.

'Passion' is the most over used phrase in football. Everyone who is in football management is passionate about what they do. It is an all-consuming, 24hr job which can't be done without passion.

When people inaccurately talk about 'passion' what they mean is they base that on the style in which they played, with the thinking that those who played in a committed fashion are likely to carry the similar traits into management. Can you imagine that Dowie wasn't 'passionate' ? Both Parky and Kinsella were committed players who i'm sure have taken those traits into the dressing room. Do you honestly think that players (grown men) really respond to being balled at all the time ?

What is needed is inspiration, not passion.
  • edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I see why people want him because he would bring a bit of passion back to the club - -

'Passion' is the most over used phrase in football. Everyone who is in football management is passionate about what they do. It is an all-consuming, 24hr job which can't be done without passion.

When people inaccurately talk about 'passion' what they mean is they base that on the style in which they played, with the thinking that those who played in a committed fashion are likely to carry the similar traits into management. Can you imagine that Dowie wasn't 'passionate' ? Both Parky and Kinsella were committed players who i'm sure have taken those traits into the dressing room. Do you honestly think that players (grown men) really respond to being balled at all the time ?

What AFKA said.

No against Di Canio but only if he had someone with more experience and coaching ability beside him.
  • The job of getting us out of this mess is way beyond Paulo Di Canio i'm afraid.Going to need someone with a bit of nous, not a rookie Italian.
  • Sponsored links:

• man curbs being out of it is a disaster......

I say again I hope they did everything to get him.. he seemed to leave the dor open until now....

why cant we catcha break??

flippin richest club in the universe, our previous hero.......

can something just go for us .......

I cant see anything except third division football and another huge, mass exodus of players, and fans ...

this next decision, which I pray is being held up becasue its pure genius, is hugley important...

One thing is for sure, we will never ever take anything for granted again... (oh, hang on we shold have felt like that anyway, myslef included)
  • [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]is there not another thread for all the Di Canio stuff ?

Yes there is shrew....I know that....but this was a specific message to the board and as such I wanted to be certain they saw it.
    By the way...I'm not spearheading some 'We want Di Canio' movement here... Charlton campaigns are a very dangerous thing to get involved in (Nelson Out!) as I have found out in the past....... many moons ago.
  • Things are bad enough already without PDC coming in and screwing it up further, the last thing we need when we are in the position we are in is a rookie, loose cannon, fascist who has been out of English football for a number of years and has never played in the Championship let alone League ! ...if you don't think it could get any worse, look at Luton.
  • [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]No thanks.

Why?
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Things are bad enough already without PDC coming in and screwing it up further, the last thing we need when we are in the position we are in is a rookie, loose cannon, fascist who has been out of English football for a number of years and has never played in the Championship let alone League ! ...if you don't think it could get any worse, look at Luton.

Ah right...erm OK then.
    I think you slipped in a word there that 'really' says where you're coming from.
  • [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]No thanks.

Why?

Anyone who thinks that Canio is a good choice is going with their heart and not their head.

A desperate choice.
  • Ah right...erm OK then.
    I think you slipped in a word there that 'really' says where you're coming from.[/quote]

Which word is that 'Luton' ?

I have not 'slipped' in any words just summarised some of PDC's bad points.

If you are looking for a rookie manager with no experience at all who has some pedigree with Charlton then what about Chris Powell, unlike PDC he HAS played at this level (and below), does know this level of English football well and has loads of contacts being that he is the Players Representative to the FA. He would be far more stable and likely to stick around. He is intelligent (as I beleive PDC is), he has bags of passion AND enthusiasm for the club and has stated this on numerous occasions. We seem to be his No.1 football love (unlike PDC). He would IMO be a far better man manager, he is definately the consumate pro you talked off in your original post, & he is also very good with the Youth. The crowd would certainly get behind him and give him a significant 'honeymoon period' should things start off poorly.

I'm not saying we should get Powell mind you, I think we need someone experienced, I am just saying that IMO there would be better 'Rokkie' candidates out there if we were to go down that road.
  • edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: SoundAsa£[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: reserves[/cite]No thanks.

Why?

Anyone who thinks that Canio is a good choice is going with their heart and not their head.

A desperate choice.

A desperate choice for desperate times mate....I agree.....but do we continue down the road of 'yet another' Captain Sensible appointment...we need to do something a bit off the wall and with ones heart maybe....IMHO!
  • edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]Ah right...erm OK then.
    I think you slipped in a word there that 'really' says where you're coming from.

Which word is that 'Luton' ?

I have not 'slipped' in any words just summarised some of PDC's bad points.

If you are looking for a rookie manager with no experience at all who has some pedigree with Charlton then what about Chris Powell, unlike PDC he HAS played at this level (and below), does know this level of English football well and has loads of contacts being that he is the Players Representative to the FA. He would be far more stable and likely to stick around. He is intelligent (as I beleive PDC is), he has bags of passion AND enthusiasm for the club and has stated this on numerous occasions. We seem to be his No.1 football love (unlike PDC). He would IMO be a far better man manager, he is definately the consumate pro you talked off in your original post, & he is also very good with the Youth. The crowd would certainly get behind him and give him a significant 'honeymoon period' should things start off poorly.

I'm not saying we should get Powell mind you, I think we need someone experienced, I am just saying that IMO there would be better 'Rokkie' candidates out there if we were to go down that road.[/quote]

Love CP of course...just think he's maybe 'too nice' an individual for a managers role...how about PDC with CP as assistant?
    Not as daft as it sounds when you come to think of it...... just a bit of wishful thinking on my part I suppose.
  • lets slip that word facist in there shall we ----------------total bollox
  • Sponsored links:

• A big yes please from me. Would lift the whole club. Disagree about AFKA and his dismissal of "passion" The man is a winner and that needs passion and commitment. Not everyone has passion. I don`t believe Curbs was a passionate manager, hard working, Shrewd but passionate...I don`t think so.
  • At the recent Derby Home match Chrissy P & Steve Brown were both in attendance through their media jobs, and both gave more "passion" on tv and radio than 75% of the current team.
    If the "unthinkable" Does happen, I think we could do alot worse than having those 2 and Kins at the club,with Keith P overseeing the whole lot.
  • I have no coaching or management experience however I did play to a fairly high level (Saturday League).

I'm very very passionate about Charlton, therefore can I have the job?
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]lets slip that word facist in there shall we ----------------total bollox[/quote]

As I said before, all I did was add what IMO are PDC's bad points. There is no doubting he is a fascist, he has said it himself and I am sure it has been picked up on here many times before...

'Di Canio...'He told the Italian news agency Ansa yesterday: "I am a fascist, not a racist. "I give the straight arm salute because it is a salute from a 'camerata' to 'camerati'," he said, carefully using the Italian words for members of Mussolini's fascist movement'

If that is of no consequence to you for our new manager then I have no problem with that, it's all about opinions.
  • At the recent Derby Home match Chrissy P & Steve Brown were both in attendance through their media jobs

I didn't hear Chris P at that match, but Steve Brown always speaks some common sense about the game and for an ex-Addick he's always quite objective about the game he's commentating on. I think he was passed over a couple of years ago when he applied for one of the coaching posts - I think the issue was that he didn't have his badges at the time (which he now has) while the successful candidate (Mark Robson??) did. Subsequently he went to West Ham as a coach but got shuffled out when Curbs arrived.

Certainly a good call to be part of a new managerial team, I'm not sure he's ready to be given the top job though.
  • [cite]Posted By: valleyman[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]lets slip that word facist in there shall we
    total bollox

As I said before, all I did was add what IMO are PDC's bad points. There is no doubting he is a fascist, he has said it himself and I am sure it has been picked up on here many times before...

'Di Canio...'He told the Italian news agency Ansa yesterday: "I am a fascist, not a racist. "I give the straight arm salute because it is a salute from a 'camerata' to 'camerati'," he said, carefully using the Italian words for members of Mussolini's fascist movement'

If that is of no consequence to you for our new manager then I have no problem with that, it's all about opinions.

As long as he keeps his views out of Sparrows Lane and The Valley...(as he 'always' did previously), I have no problem with a persons politics....Brian Clough was something of a Commie(certainly very very left-wing anyway) if I'm not mistaken...never stopped him from being one of the greatest managers in the history of the game and from gaining my greatest admiration.
  • I can't see why his right wing political views should really matter, there are countless amounts of corrupt people in football, Taxin Sinawatra(forgive the spelling) was a crook and he did alot of good for city,, all i care about is the fact that the man has a clear love for the game and would inject alot of passion into the club, but the question remains, can he manage and would he want the job?
  • and the needle returns to the start of the song

PDC could save our club that is all that matters

how ever so could a long line of mgrs the biggest issue is how to get those that count take note

so much anger on here myself included yet not one clear and non harmful to a weakend club suggestion, boycotts and that soet of bollx mentioned but not much else

i have ralised it is the felling of helplessness that is pissing me off more and more
  • [cite]Posted By: AFKABartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]I see why people want him because he would bring a bit of passion back to the club - -

I agree with that, I've said quite often we aren't struggling because of a lack of passion, so many other reasons for why we are bottom of the Championship. It's easy to blame a lack of passion, maybe some players aren't putting in enough effort often enough, but we have more players that are trying their best.

A lot of the time this season it's a lack of confidence and belief in themselves than not having enough passion. Players like Varney and Bailey at times were probably trying too hard to make things happen.
  • What's really needed at the club is a breath of fresh air, to blow away the despair and defeatism that's suffocating us at present.

Parky might very well be able to do that during a close season, but by then it may be too late.

So we need fresh energy, inspiration and be rid of the fear of failure.
    And we need it now,

If PDC in combination with a more grounded assistant (or PDC is the assistant even?) can achieve that, then he's the man we're looking for.

There will be other options too.

But if the club want the current situation to change, then there has to be change first.