Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sterling to miss Montenegro match

Comments

• Sterling's emotions got the better of him, he knows and accepts that I'm sure.

If the sanction is intended to act as a deterrent to other players, Southgate's deluded, it's simply a token exercise of authority to re-inforce discipline.  That being the case a token fine would have had the same effect and it could have been kept covered up. What goes in the dressing room stays in the dressing room and rumours can simply be denied - Gomez and Sterling have already kissed and made up.

All Southgate has done is to ensure Sterling will suffer maximum vitriol on social media and the press.  also doubt it helps his short term mental state for England games, he is clearly highly strung. 

Only if Sterling failed to show contrition and he and Gomez couldn't sort it out between them would a ban be justified in which case an indefinite ban, not a token one game.

I'm afraid Southgate's handled this like a school headmistress, not the national team manager.
  • They had a fight at SGP last night and set the fire alarm off, leading to everyone being evacuated. That’s what prompted the decision to drop Sterling.
  • Sterling's emotions got the better of him, he knows and accepts that I'm sure.

If the sanction is intended to act as a deterrent to other players, Southgate's deluded, it's simply a token exercise of authority to re-inforce discipline.  That being the case a token fine would have had the same effect and it could have been kept covered up. What goes in the dressing room stays in the dressing room and rumours can simply be denied - Gomez and Sterling have already kissed and made up.

All Southgate has done is to ensure Sterling will suffer maximum vitriol on social media and the press.  also doubt it helps his short term mental state for England games, he is clearly highly strung. 

Only if Sterling failed to show contrition and he and Gomez couldn't sort it out between them would a ban be justified in which case an indefinite ban, not a token one game.

I'm afraid Southgate's handled this like a school headmistress, not the national team manager.
    This is how I see it. Training bust ups happen regularly at all levels and players make up. I recall having a few myself. There is also an expectation that that is where it stays and doesn't get publicised in this way. Players demand it of each other and Southgate  has overreacted IMO.
  • Sterling grabbed our Joe by the neck in the Canteen. How do you keep that quiet ?
    Good management by Southgate because it didn't happen on the training field. That is completely crossing the line and Sterling was so immature. 

Fabio Capello would have sent Sterling home and risked the player not wanting to play for England again. 

Sterling has turned into a world class player at City and in the last Year has shown that form for England. I still don't understand in the last WC he was picked up front with Kane when he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and went a couple of years without scoring for the national team.
    A complete lack of options I presume.
  • Bloody millennial snowflakes! There's always been club rivalries - Sterling needs to get over himself. 
  • Nothing wrong with a bit of discipline in the ranks.
  • Nothing wrong with a bit of discipline in the ranks.
    Especially as Southgate will know the damage club issues can cause England first hand.
  • typical, two players have a bit of handbags and the non english player is suspended whilst the english player is still available...
  • It may sound like an old cliche, but blokes in the early 20's on £100k+ a week, must naturally come with big egos, so I would've thought a large part of the international manager's job is to nip this kind of thing in the bud.
  • typical, two players have a bit of handbags and the non english player is suspended whilst the english player is still available...
    Half of your squad pulling out with injuries ain't they?
  • Sponsored links:

Half of your squad pulling out with injuries ain't they?
    yep, i mentioned this not too long ago but all players should be reporting for duty to be assessed by our Docs and anyone asking to not be considered for squad selection whether directly or through their club (Kieran Tierney) should be told not to worry about getting selected ever again.
  • Maybe if Capello would have reacted like this we wouldnt have been so shit in South Africa. Instead he let bad feeling fester throughout the squad. 

Great from Southgate imo. 
  • Not excusing Sterling's actions, but what had happened or been said beforehand?

If it had been the other way round, and it had been Gomez (one of our own etc) who got dropped  after attacking Sterling, I wonder how people here would have reacted.
  • edited November 2019
    Sterling grabbed our Joe by the neck in the Canteen. How do you keep that quiet ?
    Good management by Southgate because it didn't happen on the training field. That is completely crossing the line and Sterling was so immature. 

Fabio Capello would have sent Sterling home and risked the player not wanting to play for England again. 

Sterling has turned into a world class player at City and in the last Year has shown that form for England. I still don't understand in the last WC he was picked up front with Kane when he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo and went a couple of years without scoring for the national team.
    A complete lack of options I presume.
    I think this is just is... Had the initial issue happened on the training ground then am sure Southgate wouldnt have dumped Sterling and would have let the two of them sort it out

Instead its an issue thats boiled over from Club Level; Southgate I imagine doesnt give a shit what issues players have from games against each other - Leave them at the bloody door when you're on England duty!!

There is a difference between the two

Representing the National Team involves putting your club behind you, not a chance to settle old arguments
  • Impressed with how Gomez has handled this, as a lot of people are on the insider.
  • mendonca said:
    Impressed with how Gomez has handled this, as a lot of people are on the insider.
    he's worried about not having an england career, he's just biding his time until liverpool next play city and he's going to break his legs.
  • Very poor from Southgate. Thrown our best player under the bus! How hard is it to sort out a little handbags.
    actually, i believe the story got out before England had commented on it (maybe Vardy's mrs was there)

England/Southgate has now nipped the story in the bud by confirming that something happened, has been dealt with and will not be commented on further.

If we were playing Belgium instead of Montenegro, I wonder if Sterling would have been dropped then?

• Very poor from Southgate. Thrown our best player under the bus! How hard is it to sort out a little handbags.
    actually, i believe the story got out before England had commented on it (maybe Vardy's mrs was there)

England/Southgate has now nipped the story in the bud by confirming that something happened, has been dealt with and will not be commented on further.

If we were playing Belgium instead of Montenegro, I wonder if Sterling would have been dropped then?

Hopefully we'll never have to know

You'd hope it would the case
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2019
    Very poor from Southgate. Thrown our best player under the bus! How hard is it to sort out a little handbags.

i don't think Sterling would be dropped if you needed to win this game.

if stories of what happened are to be believed, then i think if the roles in this were reversed then Gomez would have been sent home rather than dropped for a game.
  • edited November 2019
    This is my point. Have we been lucky that he has been dropped for an easy match or would Southgate have done so if the match was crucial to our qualification. Sterling is arguably our best player! Don't create a precedent which might bite us in future, get it sorted internally and get assurances it won't happen again from the players rather than acting like a headmaster!

Play it down in relation to the press with the help of the players concerned.
    He misses one match, and wasn't sent home, how is that thrown under a bus ?

Of course none of the canteen staff would've gone to the papers for a scoop story and a few hundred quid in their pocket!

• Looking at the mark under Joe's eye....I'd imagine a bit more than some words were said. We don't know what happened yet are trying to attach a worth conclusion to the events.
  • Lucky RS is a midget or he could have had his eye out

• edited November 2019
    This is where I disagree big time. England have some very good players and two world class players. One of them is Sterling. That gives us an edge and a chance. I was one and a half when we won the World Cup. We shouldn't accept failure - look at Hodgson, he failed in three f*ing tournaments but our Englishness let him off. Kane and Sterling deserve understanding and support. Would Portugal suspend Ronaldo and they have actually won something recently.