Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What goes round comes round

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
when I was about 10 I remember asking a teacher what the point of learning history was. The answer I was told is to avoid making the mistakes of the past.

Back in the thirties two timber mechants, Albert and Stanley Gliksten, took over a football club called Charlton Athletic. At the same time they appointed an inexperienced , recently retired as a player, manager called Jimmy Seed. The new Board and manager worked well together though gaining successive promotions from the third division south and second division to the first division, then the pinnacle of the game. Against all expectations Seed not only kept Charlton in the first division but actually managed the team to 2nd, 4th and 3rd in the seasons before World War 2.

After the War Charlton continued to survive in division 1. Albert Gliksten sadly passed away in 1951 and Stanley never quite had the enthusiasm of his brother for Charlton. However the Club survived with the odd foray into the top half of the first division table until the 1956/7 season. After a poor start Stanley Gliksten decided to sack Seed (although it was dressed up as a resignation for public consumption) and Jimmy Trotter, Seeds longtime number 2, was appointed manager. The club were relegated, narrowly missed promotion the following season but gradually declined year on year. Stanley Gliksten died in 1962 and was replaced by his son 23 year old Michael. Michael's raison d'etre was to produce young players and sell them at a profit. He appeared to have no interest in gaining promotion back to division 1. Marvin Hinton, Mike Bailey, Billy Bonds and Len Glover all departed in the sixties without being adequately replaced. Eventually in 1972, after years of narrowly avoiding relegation other than 68/9 and 63/4, Charlton were relegated to division 3. As luck would have it Theo Foley brought in Colin Powell, Derek Hales and Mike Flanagan prior to being sacked and Andy Nelson his successor reaped the benefit. It looked as though division 1 might be feasible once more but Gliksten decided to sell Hales at a crucial time and it came to nothing. Eventually the declining Club came within 45 minutes of liquidation. The rescuers then took it away from its heartland. Fortunately a great manager called Lennie Lawrence miraculously got the Club promoted to division 1 which maintained interest at Selhurst Park until a return to The Valley looked possible.

In 1991 Lennie was replaced by two players, Steve Gritt and Alan Curbishley. At around the same time Richard Murray and Martin Simons joined the Board. The Club returned to The Valley, redeveloped the ground and eventually gained promotion to the Premiership. After a brave but ultimately unsuccessful season the Club was relegated but romped away with The Championship and gained promotion at the first attempt. Charlton then enjoyed 6 successful seasons under Alan Curbishley in the Premiership before Richard Murray decided it was time for him to go as he would not extend his contract.

A new manager came in and we were relegated. We failed to gain promotion and now stare into the abyss of the third division. It also looks as if the Board has lost interest a la Gliksten.

What will happen this time?

Comments

• jeeesus Len i know my clubs history but you have made me feel a whole lot worse Happy New Year to you too bud :-)
  • Yes, an interesting read Len but a depressing conclusion. I think we all need to accept that every decision made at the moment, whether it's players out, players in or managerial appointments etc ,are all made for financial reasons rather than for the good of the team. The players that have left the club, went because they had financial value,or were on higher wages. that unfortunately is likely to continue until serious investment is found. It doesn't look good.
  • edited December 2008
    Oh jeeeeeezus - just what I wanted to read.
    :o(

Some nights I sit here reading this board and seriously wonder whether we are going to be a few members light come the morning, i.e. a couple may have moved on to the great message board in the sky come first light!
  • I don't believe for one moment the board have lost interest, after all, as has been said many times before, they are fans too. I would imagine that, having gambled and lost a lot of money (by Charlton's standards), with the mediocre signings that both Dowie and Pardew made, the undoubted passion that Messers Murray, Simons and others have, is tempered by the financial realities of staring Div 1 in the face just two seasons after relegaion from the Prem, with no parachute payment to come next year.
  • On the other hand, we could conclude that Charlton have generally done better with inexperienced managers. The lesson then is, bring in someone like PDC!
  • Great post len.

The gliksten period still leaves a sour taste in my mouth, horrible and best forgotten imo.

Don't think the board have lost interest but times have changed and we now find ourselves in limbo,no money,having to sell players, soon to be diminishing crowds along with apathy and possible survival in div 1(old2)or division 3 footy.

I haven't seen 3rd division footy since 72/73 when Theo was in charge,and i started going when Frank Hill was manager.

Maybe we have had our best moments under curbs and i wonder if we will ever get back to the premier league again,BUT we are back in our spiritual home and i will never stop supporting Charlton.

BTW Len Glover was one hell of a player ;-)
  • Alan Curbishley decided it was time to go by not signing a new contract - not Richard Murray.

And i don't think the Board have lost interest at all - one thing though, times and football has changed a lot over the 50 years you have mentioned so I think it is difficult to compare.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]Alan Curbishley decided it was time to go by not signing a new contract - not Richard Murray.

And i don't think the Board have lost interest at all - one thing though, times and football has changed a lot over the 50 years you have mentioned so I think it is difficult to compare.

I'll have to correct you there.

AC was happy to see out he's contract, it was the boards decision and the " best intrests of the club" to let him go...

Look what happened the season after...
  • WSSWSS
    edited December 2008
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing of course, I think Curbs' stance forced the issue though.

I know if I was in charge of someone and I knew they were only going to be around for another year would I let them have £14m to spend how they like and then walk away.

Alan C was looking out for Alan C in the last couple of years at CAFC (and I don't blame him for that one iota) and I think it was in the best interests of the club to say thank you and goodbye. The decisions post Curbs were dreadful, thats a given but the thinking at the time was the correct one.

Hey ho.
  • [cite]Posted By: WSS[/cite]I think Curbs' stance forced the issue though.

I know if I was in charge of someone and I knew they were only going to be around for another year would I let them have £14m to spend how they like and then walk away. .

Precisely Westside- also creates difficulties when attracting players to "come and work with me" when they know he'd have left after their first season..
  • Sponsored links:

• Have we just replaced Alan Mullery with Ken Craggs?
  • Or Eddie Firmani with Theo Foley?

Or Andy bloody Nelson with Mike Bailey.......?
  • Was there any truth in the story I heard at the time that it was Theo's idea to play Mike Kenning at full back against Leicester who then beat us 0-5 (if memory serves). Firmani got the chop the next week and Theo took over a day later.
  • Ah, conspiracy theory. It was all a cunning plan, once Theo decided he wanted to be a manager.

And so with Parky for the Barnsley and Sheff Yoo home results.......(!)

;o)
  • You have a vivid imagination Mr. Oggy, to suggest such things shenanigans! It was purely an innocent enquiry.