Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Scouse.... What does it even mean?

I've heard the term towards the people of Liverpool for years now, but really haven't a clue what it means.

Yesterday on twitter some Red was going on about how TAA was scouse, not English whilst the national anthem was being sung, I've also seen Liverpool fans boo when God save the queen is sung, all while going on about how they are scouse, not english. 

Are Liverpool fans really just thick enough to believe that their culture is different and superior to the rest of England and therefore just made up the term scouse? or is there actually some type of historical meaning to the term scouse?

Anyone able to shed some light on this for me? I've always just thought Liverpool fans were thick, so would appreciate some perspective lol

Comments

• edited November 2019
    I believe scouse is a type of dish/stew from the area.
  • edited November 2019
    Wow

"I've always just thought Liverpudlians were thick"

Maybe you need to read that again and reconsider before describing a whole city as "thick".

Scouse is a type of stew if Irish origin eaten on Merseyside and has become an identifier for all residents of the city.

Some scousers play up to a stereotype of being smart, funny guys who operate on the edge of legality.  Not that different from the flashy cockney stereotype spouted by some Londoners and some non-Londoners.

Some, not all, spout nonsense about not being English.

It's a way, IMHO, of making themselves seem more important and winding up other English people, which seems to work.

My apologies, By Liverpudlians I mean Liverpool FC supporters 
  • Most supporters', or at least the ones I've met, of Liverpool FC aren't scousers.

Everton fans taunt them with "welcome to Liverpool" banners.

The we're Scouse, not English myth is an attempt, imho to be more "real".  
  • Yep, thick bastards.
  • Rossman92 said:
    Wow

Maybe you need to read that again and reconsider before describing a whole city as "thick".

Scouse is a type of stew if Irish origin eaten on Merseyside and has become an identifier for all residents of the city.

Some scousers play up to a stereotype of being smart, funny guys who operate on the edge of legality.  Not that different from the flashy cockney stereotype spouted by some Londoners and some non-Londoners.

It's a way, IMHO, of making themselves seem more important and winding up other English people, which seems to work.

My apologies, By Liverpudlians I mean Liverpool FC supporters 
    That's ok as I'm off to watch everton this sat instead of the mighty cafc
    Bit gutted to be honest 
    Due to being ripped off by stub hub for a ticket at £60  and £120 for the train ticket
    Dont mind mixing with the evertonians as there not a bad bunch to be honest
  • Most supporters', or at least the ones I've met, of Liverpool FC aren't scousers.

Funny I am in a whatsapp group with about 5 or 6 Liverpool fans(annoying fuckers everytime the win the post a gif of Henderson or Klopp lifting the champions League, and commeny saying UTUR up the unbearable reds)

Anyway all of them claim to be Scouse not English
  • Sponsored links:

• This is the kind of thing, everytime they win a game

• Just hope you don't bump into the muggy pricks on holiday next summer if they win the league. 
    Unbearably boring pricks. 

Funny I am in a whatsapp group with about 5 or 6 Liverpool fans(annoying fuckers everytime the win the post a gif of Henderson or Klopp lifting the champions League, and commeny saying UTUR up the unbearable reds)

I’ve said this before, but when people ask me if I’m English, I say no, I’m from London. 

I’ve said this before, but when people ask me if I’m English, I say no, I’m from London. 
    Hmmm if someone asks me this week if I'm American, I think I'll just tell them I'm Canadian
  • Rossman92 said:
    Most supporters', or at least the ones I've met, of Liverpool FC aren't scousers.

Hmmm if someone asks me this week if I'm American, I think I'll just tell them I'm Canadian
    I think it’s Canadian - eh. 
  • Hate them all

why?
  • Scouse, or Lobscouce to give it its proper name, is a type of stew that originated in Norway and is popular with sailers and the people of Liverpool and many other European cities including Hamburg.

anyone who tries to identify as a bowl of stew is clearly a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic 
  • Scouse, or Lobscouce to give it its proper name, is a type of stew that originated in Norway and is popular with sailers and the people of Liverpool and many other European cities including Hamburg.

anyone who tries to identify as a bowl of stew is clearly a couple of sandwiches short of a picnic 

Its better than what I identify them as...
  • Sponsored links:

• DA9DA9
    edited November 2019
    My mate is from the Wirral and hates being called a scouser 

spent a few weekends up there, like the place, I did learn one local saying “I got off at edge hill” basically, not finishing the job or arriving early (see ever been caught getting jiggy thread)
  • Wow

Alright... calm down.
  • Hate them all
    Genuine question, Gary: have you ever been to Liverpool?
  • Got a friend up there, Everton fan, and the missus always does a great "Panna Scouse", ("Pan of Scouse"?) :smiley: