Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

As much as the board have screwed up. . .

edited December 2008 in General Charlton
It's hard to disagree with the logic of this from Chappell:

"We firmly believe the cash that is available needs to be used on the pitch, not on a very expensive management restructure."

Bottom line do you get a manager and expect him to get the current bunch of lightweights out of this or give Parkinson a chance with some cash.

The worry for me, and I keep saying it, is that Parkinson rated DEON BURTON.

We are not yet currently playing in Division One!!!

What signal did that signing send out????

S.O.S

Comments

• [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]It's hard to disagree with the logic of this from Chappell:

"We firmly believe the cash that is available needs to be used on the pitch, not on a very expensive management restructure."

Bottom line do you get a manager and expect him to get the current bunch of lightweights out of this or give Parkinson a chance with some cash.

The worry for me, and I keep saying it, is that Parkinson rated DEON BURTON.

S.O.S

Trying to be positive did he really rate him or, given that Varney almost certainly went to pay off Pardew, did he need another body as Toddy is not fully fit and there are uncertainties re andy Gray and his personal situation?

Looked at like that you can see why Burton came in.
  • I agree, I believe that the players have been letting us down very badly for two seasons and I don't think another managerial switch is the key to addressing that.

Let's get behind Parky and do our best for the rest of the season.
  • [cite]Posted By: falconwood_1[/cite]The worry for me, and I keep saying it, is that Parkinson rated DEON BURTON.

S.O.S
    I was a bit bemused when Burton's signing was announced, but he's won more headers in the games I've seen him play than Gray has, which is pretty important if the defence insist on hoofing the ball forward at every opportunity.
  • To be fair to him,i think Burton was bought in on the VERY quick.He felt he needed a bit of experience and he was available.It is only a loan is'nt it?
  • To be fair to him,i think Burton was bought in on the VERY quick.'

Not sure that's true. I was told by a good source that the negotiations had opened before Pardew went, after the Helguson loan move fell through...
  • tbh the loan signings were probably under consideration before Parks replaced Pards
  • was told that Burton was on the way to Cheltenham for half the wages we are paying him.
  • edited December 2008
    [cite]Posted By: nigel w[/cite]To be fair to him,i think Burton was bought in on the VERY quick.'

Not sure that's true. I was told by a good source that the negotiations had opened before Pardew went, after the Helguson loan move fell through...

We'll bleme Pardew for that one then shall we.Another tick in the box for the Alan Pardew transfer disaster fund.
  • I don't see the problem with Burton. He said we needed backup for Gray, which is true, and it also gives him competition. There weren't many options available at the time, the last thing we needed was another inconsistent youngster. He might not be the goalscorer we needed, but he gave us another player that can win headers and hold up the ball.

Don't believe they can play together as well as Parkinson suggested though.

It's McLeod, Dickson and Todorov who need replacing to give us a striker or two that can score. Parkinson gave McLeod a chance, he doesn't rate Dickson and Todorov isn't going to be fit enough.
  • Burton as a quick loan I could understand but I thought we were signing perm in Jan, that would be ridiculous IMO. However we have a manager who can't win so why not a striker who can't score.

As for the logic in spending money on the team instead of a new manager, that does make sense. There is an argument that a very good manager could have come here and got the current players up the league, I think they are (just about) good enough...but I doubt we could have afforded any manager with the track record of proving this so may as well go with what we have.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apparently Martin O'Neill turned us down ........only kidding :o)