Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jon Fortune

edited January 2007 in Rumours
being linked with a move to Burnley. Never really let us down when called upon. What would he be worth - 1m ?

Comments

• Cant see much more then £500-750k personally...
  • WSSWSS
    edited January 2007
    500k max i should think.

its a shame because he has the makings of a really good player in my opinion. he was excellent alongside rufus/costa when someone could help him along.

unfortunately (excuse the pun) we don't have any defenders of that ilk at the moment
  • especially from Burnley. Be lucky to get 500
  • I've just seen it on bbc,there is a god.Sorry Fortune has been found wanting in every game he has played this season,Chesterfield away out muscled for second goal,Wycombe at home crap (but to be fair everyone was),Reading away was he there I know he was on team sheet but appaling.I could go on but I haven't got time.£300K max i think.
  • A nice lad and he tries but realistically he just hasn't got it at Premiership level. Dropping down a division would be the right move. Good luck to him.
  • Yeah not PL standard but then again neither is HH and he plays every god damned week.
  • I thought he's got enough at this level he's only played this season with a broken toe.
  • this is the difference though. We would sell a fringe centre half like Fortune for £300-400k, while Spurs would sell a fringe centre half like Davenport for £1.5m-£2m.
  • Always a god in my eyes for that header against the Nigels!!
  • Fortune is worth a mil.
  • Sponsored links:

• any money for that lumbering clown would be a result , not good enough for the prem or the higher reaches of the championship IMO ... he looked all over the show at the emirates , although everyone else did, but i'll be eternally grateful for his goal that sent the palace down.... nice bloke tries hard but nowhere near good enough
  • We would sell a fringe centre half like Fortune for £300-400k, while Spurs would sell a fringe centre half like Davenport for £1.5m-£2m.

Given a choice between Davenport and Fortune who would you prefer in your team?

Davenport (whom spurs seem keen to offload) also benefits from the "he must be good because he plays for a decent team" valuation, whereas if Fortune can't hold a place down in a defence that's leaking goals that suggests his value isn't as much as Davenport who has played regularly this season.
  • I use to work with Davenports old man
  • [cite]Posted By: Tavern[/cite]I use to work with Davenports old man
    was he a good player?
  • Didn't Mortain come on here a while back and say Davenport was on loan for Wham in the championship and looked really good?
    Also we're selling Fortune to a championship side as that's probably his level but that's where we're going to be so shouldn't we be keeping him
  • Fortune is as good a squad man as you are likely to get and always does what is asked uncomplainingly. He played with a broken toe without painkillers as someone else said.

We need that spirit and bottle in a relegation scrap.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: BlackForestReds[/cite]A nice lad and he tries but realistically he just hasn't got it at Premiership level. Dropping down a division would be the right move. Good luck to him.[/quote]

Similar to what's been said about Holland and the same can be/has been said for most of our players. As much as it hurts to say it, realistically we're going down so it wouldn't make too much sense to get rid of such players to finance what is in all honesty, a futile fight.

Going on the 'should be good in the Championship' theory, let's keep these players and we should romp the thing next season!!!
  • or get rid and buy younger hungryer alternatives who will b with us beyond next season
  • We can only sell what we have offers for on the table at the end of the day. Thus far I think the only substantiated offers we have had for anyone is Darren Bent. If we get offers for anyone, they must be given full consideration & not dis-missed out of hand. I'd imagine Pardew would like to clear out the Curbs players to bring in his own team over time. For me Holland & Fortune if we get offers for should go.
  • [cite]Posted By: Ketman[/cite]We can only sell what we have offers for on the table at the end of the day. Thus far I think the only substantiated offers we have had for anyone is Darren Bent. If we get offers for anyone, they must be given full consideration & not dis-missed out of hand. I'd imagine Pardew would like to clear out the Curbs players to bring in his own team over time. For me Holland & Fortune if we get offers for should go.

I agree with you about Holland but Fortune, at 26, is approaching his best years. If we go down he will be a damned good Championship defender and could help get us back up and, if we survive, in the Prem he doesn't let you down when called upon as a squad member.
  • Sponsored links:

• It might be a case of raising cash to allow us to spend....If that is the case we have to look at short-term wins, in the process rescuing £25-30m a season. A bit of a gamble I know but when its that amount of money at risk its worth doing IMO.
  • give me fortune over El Kak (complete liability) anyday of the week.....I think Fortune would do fine for us next season....
  • What have you been drinking you silly boy.
  • I think it's about quietly re-shaping the squad - if true? Despite their detractors, ElK and Diawara are footballers who can distribute the ball/ bring it out. The board are trying to build a more entertaining and free flowing team. Right now the club have probably identified a few who will not help us much short term or long term and who can be sold to free up the wage bill (JFH anyone ? lol)

Some players will move on and some will not have their contracts renewed - and some cannot be sold for what we paid - but the bottom line is that with 5 ins and outs this month and over the summer we will have a team and a squad - as Pardew said this is a better situation than the one he inherited at Reading and West Ham. Next September we will be OK hopefully - whatever division we play in.
  • ...you seriously think El Kak can distribute the ball....

granted his 'punt' to Bent against Villa was good, but once in however many years just ain't good enough....just how many aimless passes does that bloke wanna make
  • [cite]Posted By: Eltham_addick[/cite]...you seriously think El Kak can distribute the ball....

granted his 'punt' to Bent against Villa was good, but once in however many years just ain't good enough....just how many aimless passes does that bloke wanna make

he also played a great crossfield pass on saturday so thats twice ;-)