Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

NEW ARTICLE: CHARLTON FANS LEFT COLD BY PARKY ANNOUNCEMENT

Click the link for my thoughts on the announcement

http://www.charltonlife.com/blog/?p=208

Comments

• How the hell did we reach the point where an article like this fully deserves 100% agreement and congratulations?
  • Good post and I'm sure the comments made are shared by many more Charlton supporters.
  • I think you've nicely summarised what just about all of us are thinking, AFKA. This message board can seldom have witnessed as much heavy traffic as it did yesterday and in all the hundreds of posts, I did not come across one saying 'trust the board, they know what they are doing'.

In particular, you ask seven absolutely central and pertinent questions. I only know the answer to one of them:

''What happens if the dire run continues for the next 3-6 games ?''

The answer, of course, is that it simply won't matter any more and Parkinson will be told to start planning for life in Division One. Indeed, you actually answer your own question a paragraph later when you write:

''If we do not get that reaction in the next 3-4 games, our season is effectively over in January...''

I can disagree with only one word in the entire article,which is where you say :

''if this bold decision proves unsuccessful...''

What is bold about taking what should have been a footballing decision for reasons that have nothing to do with football? Can we please substitute craven?
  • thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.

If other comments could be left at the bottom of the article, rather than here, i'd be most grateful.

cheers
  • edited January 2009
    Doesn't want my comment so I won't bother!

Forget that comment now appeared!
  • An excellent article.
    What concerns me is why wasn't Parkinson given the job straightaway when Pardew was sacked.
    This may have given him more confidence and generated some security in the players.
    This decision now just seems plain wrong.
  • When Parky's name is announced on Saturday we should all boo once to show what we all think of the descision, then get behind him in his (lost!) cause.
  • [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]An excellent article.
    What concerns me is why wasn't Parkinson given the job straightaway when Pardew was sacked.
    This may have given him more confidence and generated some security in the players.
    This decision now just seems plain wrong.

If Parky had been given the job when Pardew was sacked, he would have been sacked by now (just like Reed).
  • Jesus,Im scared senseless 3rd division fare is on the cards for us.Parky lost all (if I had any) respect when pardew was sacked he was interviewed on sky and was smiling when he got in his motor.We have come from the ashes,got back to the Valley,Curbs and Gritt got it going.Curbs took it on 1998 playoff was one of the best days of my life.Weve fought as a club and as supporters,weve got up there and Ian Dowie and idiot reed have destroyed all that work.Im a railway man and I was working at Charlton station on the day we had the "last"game at the valley,I slipped away and saw some of it.The level of emotion I saw that evening at Charlton station will stay with me to the day I die.I was shaking hands with grown men who were howling.I was gutted,my Dad took me to the Valley when I was 6 and Ill love this club till the day I die.I live in Scotland now but I love Charlton,ex Bexleyheath School pupil who was coached by Charlie Revell,Im no good but he had to earn his corn!!Hopefully well be back.
  • Parky said in his KM interview today:

"It would have been so frustrating if someone else (another manager) had come in. I'm not interested in new contracts or money, I just wanted to stay with Charlton.

So, can we assume that he is just staying on his existing Assistant Manager contract for now - perhaps with a 'staying up bonus' or an offer of an improved contract at the end of the season should we avoid relegation ....?

In which case to appoint Parky as manager hasn't cost the Board one brass farthing in his wage costs.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 2009
    AFKA, going back to your seven questions in the article, which are absolutely the key issues - what chance do you think of getting Derek Chappell back on here to answer them?

The bond that was forged between board and fans in the campaign that took us back to the Valley has suffered a major blow - as you say, for virtually the first time in almost 20 years, we do not seem to be singing from the same song sheet any more.

DC could do much to restore a bit of faith and respect and perhaps some unity if he was big enough to come back on here and answer some tough questions.

Would depend on what he said, of course, and one could understand why he might not want to do it; he could be on a hiding to nothing. But when he was on here before, he was pretty honest and there wasn't too much spin (if a spin doctor had been mediating his comments, they would have sorted out his atrocious spelling and syntax, for a start!)
  • i didn't know DC has been on here, so maybe i can't comment, but.... the problem may be that he can't tell things how they really are at the moment without damaging our prospects further. Everyone involved with appointing Parky has to say they think it's the right thing to do, in the same way that Parky can't come out and say that he would have liked to bring in better players but money's tight and we'll all just have to settle for deon. parky's appointment is hardly a topic that could be ignored if anyone from the club wants to be straight with the fans but it's going to make our prospects even worse if the board admit they had no choice but to give him the job.

having said that, better communication between board and the fans would help restore the relationship. maybe it will have to wait until after we've got through this spell .
  • It is really such a shame that it has taken many of you this long to realise that the board were doing a bad job.
    When plans of protest were posted on here they were met with derision and censored.

I do not actually believe that this site is fully independent. This posting will more than likely disappear as it may upset the wishy washy liberals.

G
  • FPT
    I still can't see the point of "boycotting" or "(planning a)protest".
    I still can't see why "supporters" of the team "Boo" them.
    I thought that if you support a team, you get behind them; the clue is in the word "Support".
  • FTP, there isn't one poster who has expressed the view that the board is doing anything other than a bad job, so don't rewrite history. The question is about what, if anything, we can do about it. It's very easy just to lash out and this requires little thought or imagination. Despite still feeling very angry, I also know that using one's guts in place of the brain is rarely a good idea. To say that the site isn't independent just because posters don't agree with you is risible. Sometimes however, judgements have to be made and some posts may get removed. The answer is simple, start your own alternative site.
  • [quote][cite]Posted By: FTP[/cite]It is really such a shame that it has taken many of you this long to realise that the board were doing a bad job.
    When plans of protest were posted on here they were met with derision and censored.

I do not actually believe that this site is fully independent. This posting will more than likely disappear as it may upset the wishy washy liberals.

G[/quote]

You know it's funny cause I copped the same thing, I was berated and told I knew nothing, had posts deleted and told to stop making an ar$e of myself with no explanation just a few days ago when I dared criticise the 'precious' board but now it seems that it's open slather because the supposed big wigs of this forum are now in agreeance with us. Soundasapound where are you now with your strong words?
  • It's not your opinion SMTM, but the way you put it across. In my opinion, you come across as a prick. That's why you get the hassle.
  • Fair enough, it's not deliberate, I just tell it how I see it. I guess some people just can't handle the truth that well. If I'm being aggressive towards the board it's because I'm pissed at our situation one that I feel they didn't have to get us in.

FWIW anyone who's not a regular on this board that has a strong opinion cops the same flack, perhaps we're considered pricks because we don't post as often? Perhaps the regular posters feel that because we don't have the runs on the board we're not entitled to voice our opion, especially if it differs to the majority? I hardly think that gives someone the right to say I ain't Charlton or to call me childish names such as numbskull. Throwing out insults is just another way of admitting defeat when it comes to healthy debate. I really don't see how not posting all the time in this forum makes me any a less a Charlton man than AFKA himself. Well that's the way I see it anyway. It was the same on netaddicks.com. In fact if I remember correctly, you guys moved because you wanted to filter all the posters that post on the site.

Anyway that's my take on things.......feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or even better, delete my post.
  • edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Show_Me_The_Mouni[/cite]Fair enough, it's not deliberate, I just tell it how I see it. I guess some people just can't handle the truth that well. If I'm being aggressive towards the board it's because I'm pissed at our situation one that I feel they didn't have to get us in.

FWIW anyone who's not a regular on this board that has a strong opinion cops the same flack, perhaps we're considered pricks because we don't post as often? Perhaps the regular posters feel that because we don't have the runs on the board we're not entitled to voice our opion, especially if it differs to the majority? I hardly think that gives someone the right to say I ain't Charlton or to call me childish names such as numbskull. Throwing out insults is just another way of admitting defeat when it comes to healthy debate. I really don't see how not posting all the time in this forum makes me any a less a Charlton man than AFKA himself. Well that's the way I see it anyway. It was the same on netaddicks.com. In fact if I remember correctly, you guys moved because you wanted to filter all the posters that post on the site.

Anyway that's my take on things.......feel free to correct me if I'm wrong or even better, delete my post.

Didn't you read my post which told you that there's not a poster on here that doesn't know the board have fooked up big time...my point( and others), was not in what you said but the way you said it...the snidey comments from you are totally OTT....and by the way, YOU have shown yourself to be more than capable of throwing out insults...it's what has caused you the problems you're having in the first place.
    I repeat what LookOut is pointing out to you...... don't confuse what you are saying, with the way you say it.
    The lousy remark when you implied the board not putting anymore money in as meaning they want us to be relegated...absurd pal utterly absurd.
    Anyway....I'm saying no more.....I can't be bothered with this/you anymore.
  • Never said the board wanted us to be relegated, just said that their tightass ways would cause us to be relegated so don't twist words to suit your argument as it's another sign of losing the debate. I have never insulted anyone or called them pathetic names.....shame I can't say the same thing for you.....
  • Sponsored links:

• I Did agree 100% with afka's words but now Ive had time to think Ive grown to parki decision now. If you really think about it, its players we need at the moment. If we'd have spent god knows how much on a new manager in the situation we are in and it goes wrong. Then that would spell big trouble for us.

I'm backing the board. We are NOT as big a club as a lot of people think. We are going to have to suck it in and get behind them.

And if it doesn't work and we go down, then at least we wont have a highly payed manager who we will all want out as hes just got us relegated.