Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New Election Promise 'Re Football Ownership

I know it's political and I only give the thread 5 minutes meself, but thought it was relevant enough at this precise moment to share it on the main pages -

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/12/03/exclusive-labour-promise-football-fans-say-clubs-choice-manager/?fbclid=IwAR0Rj72HqPeB4uHLnispcazV76sMs2m2c9qHyX32PyAOFDIn0ZKUOcGWVZw

Comments

• The policy focusing on reduced train travel costs when games are moved sounds sensible.
  • 10... 9... 8...
  • The policy focusing on reduced train travel costs when games are moved sounds sensible.
    Well the government will own the railways so it’ll be easy for them! 
  • se9addick said:
    The policy focusing on reduced train travel costs when games are moved sounds sensible.
    Tax payer funded football fan travel.  That'll go down well
  • se9addick said:
    The policy focusing on reduced train travel costs when games are moved sounds sensible.
    Taxpayers already subsidise all train travel 
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Not for a particular sporting genre though, do they?
  • I'm not making political points - it is unfair sky can move a game at short notice and it costs the fan more. Many complain about it on here. 
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    Not for a particular sporting genre though, do they?
    No, all of them! 
  • Let's hope that people read past the headline. Letting fans select 2 directors is hardly giving "fans a say over their club's choice of manager".

WRT giving fans access to the cheaper advance rail travel when matches are moved at short notice, this could be financed out of the Sky/BT/Amazon payment. Seems sensible to me.
  • Sponsored links:

• se9addick said:
    se9addick said:

Still more expensive that anywhere else in Europe
  • se9addick said:
    se9addick said:
    And pay for all roads that don’t have tolls.
  • Obviously no-one's told Corbyn that free season tickets would hand him the keys to No 10....
  • Free stuff for everyone 
  • Good to see acknowledgement at least of need for greater fan influence and travel concessions. Have to go along way to make up for decades of neglect, same as worker representation on boards and worker ownership for bigger firms is progressive and to be welcomed.
  • It's a clincher for me. Ooh Jeremy Corbyn. 
  • Having a say over who the manager is and enforcing a mandatory two directors from the fan base are two entirely different things. 

I’m all in favour of giving fans a say in the boardroom, but the choice of manager is a matter for the whole board. 

I agree with Stig that there are some fans you wouldn’t trust to choose off a takeaway menu let alone in a board room. But we do have (on this forum at least) some sensible heads on shoulders who would keep any board of directors in the real world. I have no idea how much difference that could have made in the Duchatalet era. Pretty certain the new lot would at least listen with integrity. 

Hardly something that’s going to sway a vote at the election, though. Issues relating to poverty, healthcare, social care and the small issue over the European Union might be further up the average person’s list if concerns than this....