Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

+++ HELP!! - PLEASE READ +++

Sorry for the dramatic attention seeking title.

I can’t have been the only one deflated seeing from a crowd of many thousands on Tuesday only 70 people contributed to the well publicised Foodbank collection.

Charlton supporters have always been known for their caring nature and generosity. We’ve seen it dozens of times on here over the years.

How can we rally this to get a significantly boosted response tonight? It doesn’t have to be much, no one needs to fill a shopping trolley, but surely we can all go out of our way to pick up a couple of tins today to help those who might not be in such a fortunate person at a difficult time of year?

Two of our CL parish @Cardinal Sin and @Pico
are at the forefront of this and have devoted a lot of time and effort. Can’t we on here make a pledge to support them in their efforts tonight? 

What do people think? 

Also, do others also think there’s any value in a Twitter storm at midday as a reminder and to try and generate a bit of momentum? Would others support it? say using the hashtag #CharltonFoodbankFriday ?

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited December 2019
    If anyone is going out to buy some bits and has PayPal, can I ping over a tenner to you to get a big more?
  • I'll happily match Robs tenner!
  • If Mrs AFKA is reading this DO NOT send AFKA up tonight with biscuits or any packets that can be opened. Tins only!  ;)
  • Wasn't at the game Tuesday but can donate tonight
  • seth plum said:
    Need it more than ever today.
    I think you are overdoing now Seth, I do not anyone who uses a food bank and I am sure nobody I know knows anyone who uses a food bank. I am sure there are certain extreme cases and I applaud those who help out but with the benefit system we have in place in the UK there is now reason for anyone to go without food unless they are spending their money on other things.
  • seth plum said:
    I think you are overdoing now Seth, I do not anyone who uses a food bank and I am sure nobody I know knows anyone who uses a food bank. I am sure there are certain extreme cases and I applaud those who help out but with the benefit system we have in place in the UK there is now reason for anyone to go without food unless they are spending their money on other things.
    Might be an idea for you to get in touch with the foodbanks and let them know they're not needed. Good to hear the voice of reason on here.

• seth plum said:
    Tend to avoid making political comments but this is just not true. I have a very good standard of living but a significant number of others don’t. Some will spend their money on beer fags and sky sports but for many the benefits system is a disaster 
  • seth plum said:
    Might be an idea for you to get in touch with the foodbanks and let them know they're not needed. Good to hear the voice of reason on here.

I never said that though did I. However due to the good work being done tonight and out of respect for AFKA I will not comment anymore as this thread is not the place. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    I think people are put off of donating by the idea that some use foodbanks to get free food when they really don’t need to or qualify.
  • Collection points at local pubs...? 
  • I put something in on Tuesday but can't tonight because of logistics (have dropped some stuff into the work one). Not on Twitter, but worth a try. Can @Ollywozere put something out on the Club's official feed to announce it? 

We shouldn't need foodbanks, but we do. The system allows people to wait up to 5 weeks for benefits and there are plenty living on less than a fiver a day. Don't want to get political on here in the main forum but people only get to use foodbanks if they are referred to them by the council or DWP or likewise: it's not an option for the feckless it's a temporary stopgap for people living in very difficult conditions. 

• seth plum said:

I never said that though did I. However due to the good work being done tonight and out of respect for AFKA I will not comment anymore as this thread is not the place. 
    You made the comment so I responded. There are a significant number of people out there who are struggling for a variety of reasons and not all of them are feckless. Anybody from any background can end up in desperate circumstances and working in the NHS and doing home visits I've seen some desperate sights.

If you spent time working in social care you might have a more sympathetic view and a little more empathy.
  • Don't worry, I'll stick a tenner over to a food bank charity, thanks for the cooperation and politics lessons though guys. 

I must try harder next time
  • seth plum said:
    Well instead of just dramatically bleating about the world and others, what positive suggestions do you have to make tonight's collection more successful?
    I donated Tuesday, I will donate tonight. It is possible to lurk around Sainsbury's by the station and vocally encourage/remind people about the food bank.
    I didn't say it often enough on Tuesday, maybe my bleating wasn't dramatic enough.
  • Sponsored links:

• BDL said:
    seth plum said:
    Well instead of just dramatically bleating about the world and others, what positive suggestions do you have to make tonight's collection more successful?

Dan, if we set up a Justgiving page, people can donate small sums so that we can pay for an online shop? (Just thinking aloud)
    The local Sainsburys in Charlton has a dropoff as well in the entrance.
  • edited December 2019
    Greenwich food bank already have a justgiving page, linked from their website here- https://greenwich.foodbank.org.uk/

- via the give help button.. Useful for those who can't donate something in person.

I think any kind of word of mouth or Twitter can only help. I think we need to encourage all donations even if it's just another tin of beans.

I see the trust page encourages use of the Sainsbury's at charlton rail station and still think that's by far the easiest option to point people towards.

https://www.castrust.org/2019/12/fill-the-foodbank-van-on-friday/

Oh also, for those suffering cognitive dissonance -
    https://fullfact.org/electionlive/2019/dec/9/food-banks-more-mcdonalds/
  • edited December 2019
    Will certainly bring a couple of bits along but without wanting to detail the thread, could I also plug:

https://donate.thebiggive.org.uk/campaign/a051r00001PZXyEAAX

Charlton Community Trust looking to raise £5000 but only half way there.  You donate, for example, £10 and through matched fundraising and gift aid it becomes £22.50 straight to the charity.

Ed. Shame, looks like it has closed for the year on the 10th.
  • Greenwich food bank already have a justgiving page, linked from their website here- https://greenwich.foodbank.org.uk/

- via the give help button.. Useful for those who can't donate something in person.

I think any kind of word of mouth or Twitter can only help. I think we need to encourage all donations even if it's just another tin of beans.

I see the trust page encourages use of the Sainsbury's at charlton rail station and still think that's by far the easiest option to point people towards.

https://www.castrust.org/2019/12/fill-the-foodbank-van-on-friday/
    Just searched "PayPal Food bank charity UK" and I was able to transfer a tenner direct to the Trussle Trust. 

@Stu_of_Kunming
  • People need Food Banks for cash flow reasons essentially.

Yes, they do get benefits which in theory obviates the need but those benefits can take a hell of a time to come through.

What are they meant to do in the interim?
  • LenGlover said:
    People need Food Banks for cash flow reasons essentially.

Yes, they do get benefits which in theory obviates the need but those benefits can take a hell of a time to come through.

LenGlover said:

Len, genuine question...are you saying that if there was no delay in benefit payments, then food banks would not be necessary 

Sorry if this question seems a tad naive, but living as I do in a small rural village in Northants, I have no experience of food banks and abject or relative poverty to form an opinion. I do however give £30 each month to a foreign non caucasian "cause" and I raise additional money for that cause by undertaken presentations on their history to local clubs/organisations.
  • PeterGage said:
    LenGlover said:

LenGlover said:

Len, genuine question...are you saying that if there was no delay in benefit payments, then food banks would not be necessary 

Sorry if this question seems a tad naive, but living as I do in a small rural village in Northants, I have no experience of food banks and abject or relative poverty to form an opinion. I do however give £30 each month to a foreign non caucasian "cause" and I raise additional money for that cause by undertaken presentations on their history to local clubs/organisations.
    I would not presume to say there would be NO need for food banks but from some stuff I've seen from the Trussell Trust delayed benefits payments are a very significant contributor indeed to demand.
  • edited December 2019
    Just an idea-

this might not be in the spirit of things but maybe like the old joke on fools and horses when the brixton riots were happening del boy was down there selling bricks to the locals.

maybe someone might know of someone who at a discount due to their work can get down there with a van full of bulk buy tins and sell them to people before they reach the food bank. the profit they raise can go straight to the food bank to give.

I know in theory they could just give the tins straight to the food bank but maybe they cant afford to give that many tins and on top of that people will have a chance to give to the food bank when they wouldn't be able to due to logistics of getting their food/tins over to the valley. 

edit: i know, i know, just read it back, stupid idea. just trying to think of a way to get people engaged when they might not be able to get the chance to get their food down there as its an evening kick off. 
  • seth plum said:
    You don’t know what you’re talking about.