Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Bristol City | Boxing Day | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Bristol City
Boxing Day … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: Keith Stroud (prev. games: Fulham)

Introduction
With so many changes to the game these days there is one saving grace within English Football where the traditional Boxing Day fixtures take place – It’s a period of whinging Premier League managers with games that come thick and fast, form can go out the window with players dreaming of families and home – This coming Thursday will see Bristol City making the trip to South East London, and I can tell you one thing…

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas!!

The Opposition
Name: Bristol City | Manager: Lee Johnson
Previous Result: Bristol City 2-1 Charlton Athletic
Fun Fact: This will be the second Boxing Day clash between these two sides in the last three years – Held at Ashton Gate in 2016 the sides would play out a 1-1 draw; Harry Lennon earning the visitor a late point

So our first Boxing Day visitors since Cardiff travelled in 2014 - The Valley though hasn’t been a happy place for Bristol City; their 2-0 win here in 2009 was the sole season they've recorded the double against us (albeit they'd record a 2-1 at Ashton Gate) and their first since 1968... Yet it would be October when these two sides last met!! - It was a result described by local press as better than sex; Josh Brownhill scoring a last minute winner and something we Charlton fans have become used to... It was ninety minutes of Charlton being unable to take their chances, we would lose both Jake Forster-Caskey and Sam Field to injury and it would end as a bad tempered affair; Famara Diedhiou earning a red card for kicking out at Jason Pearce

Since that result; Bristol City (who were my dark horses for promotion) have continued with the sort of form their fans should be used to under Lee Johnson, unable to show the consistency required to cement a place in the Play-Offs - A win against Sheffield Wednesday could have sent the Robins third on Sunday lunchtime, a narrow 1-0 defeat would consign Lee Johnson and his men to their third consecutive loss and so keep them ninth. Continuous proof of how tight the top half of the table is at present!!

Charlton Team News
Well Lee Bowyer will certainly be wondering when his luck will begin to change!! – The late equaliser against Queens Park Rangers on Saturday will surely give the players a bit of hope but the fact remains that current players are being injured quicker than others return, we need the January Transfer Window!!... We need the takeover!!

In terms of squad selection it’s clear that Jonathan Leko will now be absent and as per the reliable Richard Cawley (South London Press) may well have played his last game for the Addicks – The Striker having improved since he joined on loan has now returned to West Bromwich Albion to be assessed accordingly!! – Lyle Taylor finally managed to start a game since his own return from injury, just will the Medical team deem it worth the risk to throwing him in from start so soon again… Do we even have a choice!!

Phillips
Solly | Lockyer | Pearce | Sarr | Doughty
Pratley | Gallagher
Morgan
Taylor | Bonne

Substitutes Bench: Maynard-Brewer | Purrington | Oshilaja | Matthews | Ledley | Dempsey | Davison

Prediction
With it being Charlton (rather than the opposition) earning a last minute equaliser you’d hope that our luck is slowly starting to change – Being able to hold out into ninety minutes will without doubt be a boost to our struggling defence who need some serious support from the rest of the team - Bristol City though are on a poor run, would be rude of us not to try and take advantage of that fact!! – See you all in 2020!!

Comments

• Great preview as usual FA. 
    I don't particularly like bristol city fans. 
    Going back to our FA Cup tie at theirs. 
    We are long overdue a win and with Taylor now back I can see us getting one at last.
    2.1 to the mighty Addicks. 
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Would have loved to be there for this one .. never mind, Derby is all too soon after .. we need revenge after being done by a late late goal at Brizzel and for the assault on Pearce 
    Their form is VERY indifferent right now, I'll say that ours is on the up .. I doubt they will lose 4 on the bounce and I also doubt we will lose .. so, that leaves (all together now) a draw .. and I'll be happy with that, though a win would be terrific of course.
    Get this takeover completed f f s, get our casualties back on the field and let's give the race for the play offs a right good go next year.

(This will be @ForeverAddickted's penultimate work of brilliance for the decade and I for one am so very grateful for his devotion to the cause and hope he continues his excellence during the 2020s (Flattery will get me nowhere))

CAFC 1 v Bristol City 1

• I had hoped to end my boycott at the Cardiff game, or was it Wednesday whatever. But in the end had to miss it.
    I have tickets for this with my wife. She has never seen us do anything but win. So that’s what we’ll do, win. 
  • Charlton 3-0 Brizzle Drizzle

Big win and a clean sheet. 
  • p.s I think FA is spot on with selection. 
  • A draw would be a fine result against BC just looking at the table. Whilst their form is not so good it may well be too much for our team still dogged by the injury crisis. Good luck to LB on his team selection - maybe another look at Naby up with the forwards? Can't see us keeping a clean sheet, so, 1-1.
  • I would go for Oshilaja over Solly at wing back but don’t expect it to happen.
  • Sponsored links:

• With Jonathan Leko out, we’re back up to our now regulation 12 players sidelined through injury. In those circumstances, a draw wouldn’t be a bad result, although we owe Bristol one and it would be great to put one over on their chippy little manager.

We do have three things in our favour: first, the team has a great deal of heart and will battle to the end; secondly, the crowd are right behind Lee Bowyer and the lads, notwithstanding the winless run; and, thirdly, Lyle is back, with all that he brings to the side. 

Let’s hope we can recover some poise defensively, as that is where we have let ourselves down recently. I think Oshilaja can count himself very unlucky not to be starting, although I appreciate he’s a useful bloke to bring on to try and shore things up in midfield, given our lack of bodies in that area. Essential, in my view,  that Albie Morgan starts, given his ability to pick a pass.
  • Blucher said:
    With Jonathan Leko out, we’re back up to our now regulation 12 players sidelined through injury. In those circumstances, a draw wouldn’t be a bad result, although we owe Bristol one and it would be great to put one over on their chippy little manager.

We do have three things in our favour: first, the team has a great deal of heart and will battle to the end; secondly, the crowd are right behind Lee Bowyer and the lads, notwithstanding the winless run; and, thirdly, Lyle is back, with all that he brings to the side. 

Let’s hope we can recover some poise defensively, as that is where we have let ourselves down recently. I think Oshilaja can count himself very unlucky not to be starting, although I appreciate he’s a useful bloke to bring on to try and shore things up in midfield, given our lack of bodies in that area. Essential, in my view,  that Albie Morgan starts, given his ability to pick a pass.
    As you all know by now, Fanny NEVER makes predictions.

But I'll take a punt & say there's a 4th thing that will be in our favour on the 26th.

New owners paraded triumphantly on the pitch before kick off will give everyone a huge boost & will be the best, albeit  belated Xmas present ever. 

Onwards & upwards !
  • Blucher said:
    With Jonathan Leko out, we’re back up to our now regulation 12 players sidelined through injury. In those circumstances, a draw wouldn’t be a bad result, although we owe Bristol one and it would be great to put one over on their chippy little manager.

As you all know by now, Fanny NEVER makes predictions.

But I'll take a punt & say there's a 4th thing that will be in our favour on the 26th.

New owners paraded triumphantly on the pitch before kick off will give everyone a huge boost & will be the best, albeit  belated Xmas present ever. 

Onwards & upwards !
    Amen to that, Fanny. What a joy that would be.
  • Very limited options again in terms of how we line up. With this in mind I would take a point but if we could grab a win it would be very welcome and keep the buffer between us and the bottom three. Ha ha look at the time. There was a time when my kids were young that I would be up now bleary eyed and watching their excitement at opening presents. Now I am awake cos I don't sleep well and looking at the forum. Merry Christmas. Be nice to each other today!
  • edited December 2019
    There should be a little bit of niggle in this game and, on the back of two draws and a last minute goal on Saturday, keeping everybody concentrated on and off the pitch shouldn’t be an issue and  the final score could look like a very comfortable win for the Addicks.
  • Wasn’t the 1-1 on Boxing Day 2015?
  • Another great preview FA , I've never been to a Boxing Day fixture before , so this year I've treated the whole family and we're are going ( not that they're going to thank me for it - expect extra calls to Child Line ). Anyway going to go fora 2-1 win Taylor and Gallagher with our goals and great tidings of comfort and joy !
  • Looking fwd to this one, a Boxing Day home game. The injuries just do not stop though so I am hoping for a draw but the way we were opened up on Saturday could make this an optimistic prediction. 1-1.
  • 4-0. Taylor Bonne Gallagher Sarr
  • Sponsored links:

• Was hoping the new owners would have been confirmed by now and I could be there as the 1st of my half season ticket games. But got my Mum and Dad staying so can’t exactly leave them and shoot off to football, couldn’t be that selfish, plus the old man is still recovering from a hip op so needs the occasional helping hand.

2-2 draw and the winless run continues.
  • Was hoping the new owners would have been confirmed by now and I could be there as the 1st of my half season ticket games. But got my Mum and Dad staying so can’t exactly leave them and shoot off to football, couldn’t be that selfish, plus the old man is still recovering from a hip op so needs the occasional helping hand.

Ahhh, you old softie. In the old days you'd let your trouble & strife deal with the family & make the journey up 😁
  • Talal said:
    I would go for Oshilaja over Solly at wing back but don’t expect it to happen.
    I'm with you there mate. Solly should only play as part of a back 4. 

I'm going for a home win. Have to break the run sometime.

2-0.

Ahhh, you old softie. In the old days you'd let your trouble & strife deal with the family & make the journey up 😁
    No, difference is in the old days the family would have been going anyway, bit past it now.
  • Any live streaming..? Couldn't find anything on Valley pass...
  • Bristol City may look good in the league table but they have lost three on the trot. This is a glorious opportunity for the Addicks to get back to winning ways. If we show the attacking drive we displayed at QPR then we should be ok as long as we can avoid any major bloopers in defence. 
  • They’ve only lost 3 away this season though and won 5. 
  • We’re making our first visit of the season today just to destroy that winless streak...

as long as the tube is agreeable anyway...
  • Bristol City may look good in the league table but they have lost three on the trot. This is a glorious opportunity for the Addicks to get back to winning ways. If we show the attacking drive we displayed at QPR then we should be ok as long as we can avoid any major bloopers in defence. 
    And before that they won at Fulham, the glorious inconsistency of the Championship.