Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Derby County vs Charlton Athletic Match Thread 30th December 2019 7:45pm

Comments

• No-one back from injury, as expected, and Taylor rested, which is not really surprising as he has been expected to play a lot more than they would have liked following his injury.
  • So who plays up top with Bonne-Bonne ..... Doughty?

• Official site suggesting Doughty may be playing upfront with Bonne 
  • Good to see Gallagher playing, as I was not certain he would be. 

Wonder what formation we are playing with no Taylor and Leko.
  • Official site suggesting Doughty may be playing upfront with Bonne 
    He seemed to end up playing there against Bristol City
  • OS says:

Charlton Manager Lee Bowyer has made two changes from the side that rallied from 2-1 down to beat Bristol City on Boxing Day.

Chris Solly and Ben Purrington come back into the side for this evening’s game at Derby County with Adam Matthews and Lyle Taylor, who is rested after just returning to the side following 13 weeks out with injury, moving to the bench.

This evening's game is live on Sky Sports Football and fans can listen to Charlton commentary on Valley Pass and on the Valley Pass app. Because the game has been selected for international broadcast the club is only allowed to live stream the game in certain countries. Click here for more and to find out how to purchase Valley Pass.

Charlton are unbeaten in three games and the line-up announced leaves a bit of mystery for Derby around the formation that the players will be deployed in.

If Bowyer opts for the 3-5-2 formation that has worked so well in recent weeks then Tom Lockyer, Darren Pratley and Naby Sarr will start in a defensive three ahead of ever-present Dillon Phillips.

Chris Solly and Ben Purrington are expected to operate as wing backs with Deji Oshilaja, Conor Gallagher and Albie Morgan in midfield together as they were against Bristol City.

It could mean Boxing Day hero Alfie Doughty starts up front alongside the Man-of-the-Match on that day, Macauley Bonne.

If Bowyer opts for a 5-4-1 formation then Doughty would likely operate on the left of midfield with Morgan on the right and Bonne up front on his own. 

Taylor and Matthews are joined on the substitutes bench by Ashley Maynard-Brewer, Jason Pearce, Joe Ledley, Ben Dempsey and Josh Davison.

Charlton: Phillips; Lockyer, Pratley, Sarr; Solly (C), Gallagher, Oshilaja, Morgan, Purrington; Doughty, Bonne

Substitutes: Maynard-Brewer, Matthews, Pearce, Dempsey, Ledley, Taylor, Davison

• The team lineup looks made for 4 at the back and 5 in midfield.

Solly and Purrington struggle as wingbacks but solid as fullbacks.
    Oshilaja and Prats as defensive midfield, protecting the defence.

The kids running attacking midfield, Morgan, Gallagher, Doughty.
    Which would mean Bonne ploughing the lonely furrow up top.

That's 4-2-3-1 ...... Bows has only played it once before and it didn't work.
    But he hasn't many options tonight.

• Taylor must still be not quite ready for a full return .. great to see Gallagher is fit and well (I hope) .. decent team given the circumstances .. looking forward to this one very much  
  • Taylor must still be not quite ready for a full return .. great to see Gallagher is fit and well (I hope) .. decent team given the circumstances .. looking forward to this one very much  
    Are you there, Lincs?

• Sponsored links:

• Like the forthcoming return to work, diet and Dry January, I’m not sure I feel ready for another Charlton game yet. 

Just not feeling it tonight. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised

• edited December 2019
    Not blaming anyone, the injuries force the hand, but the team looks a but unbalanced and, whichever way they line up, will have some square pegs in round holes. We could really use the win to build some breathing space to the bottom three, but I’d take a battling point right now. 
  • The line up reflects a harder game Thursday.
  • Ferryman said:
    The line up reflects a harder game Thursday.
    You could be right 
  • Just thought ...... Derby normally play 4-2-3-1 formation.
    Maybe Bows has picked the team to match up with that to start with.

After an hour change it to midfield diamond, bring Taylor on and go for it.

Or not. :smile:

• As I said on the other thread. Bow did say after the last match that it would be too big a risk to start lyle this match. I think it's just managing his minutes after his injury. Fine by me.
  • Not blaming anyone, the injuries force the hand, but the team looks a but unbalanced and, whichever way they line up, will have some square pegs in round holes. We could really use the win to build some breathing space to the bottom three, but I’d take a battling point right now. 
    Yep, awaiting a thousand ‘Bowyer got that wrong’ stuff ahead when clearly juggling half a pack of cards...
  • Doughty is either left wing or forward tonight that’s for sure as Purrington is starting, he’s currently 28/1 first goal!!!  Well worth a punt.
  • Will be some achievement to get a result with that 11 and bench.
  • So much bloody negativity.
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    So much bloody negativity.
  • Oggy Red said:
    The team lineup looks made for 4 at the back and 5 in midfield.

Solly and Purrington struggle as wingbacks but solid as fullbacks.
    Oshilaja and Prats as defensive midfield, protecting the defence.

The kids running attacking midfield, Morgan, Gallagher, Doughty.
    Which would mean Bonne ploughing the lonely furrow up top.

That's 4-2-3-1 ...... Bows has only played it once before and it didn't work.
    But he hasn't many options tonight.

That sounds the best option to me with those players.
    Remind me who it was we played on the other occassion?
  • Uboat said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So much bloody negativity about people being bloody negative about bloody negativity.
  • edited December 2019
    Point at best imo, relegation dog fight opens up in the bottom 1/4 of the league if we lose. 
  • Ferryman said:
    Better to get a win and a loss than 2 draws though...
  • Uboat said:
    Dazzler21 said:
    So much bloody negativity about people being bloody negative about bloody negativity.
    So much bloody negativity about those being negative about those being bloody negative towards those being negative about bloody negativity.
  • Whatever formation Lee plays tonight we only have 1 up top.  Gallagher, Morgan and Doughty will be expected to support Bonne in the 1st half.
    Hopefully Lyle can play 45 minutes.
    Anyone who saw Lyle totally exhausted after Alfie scored the winner, will understand that he's not fit for 90 tonight.

• Taylor on the bench:

- dropped; or
    - leaving; or
    - return from injury being managed 

You decide.
  • Ferryman said:
    Better to get a win and a loss than 2 draws though...
    Especially against a rival 
  • edited December 2019
    thank god that when I moved from BT to virgin I got a two box deal, girlfriend and her grandkids are watching some crap animated film in the front room and I get to retreat to the middle room and put the footie on 😁
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!