Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam Matthews - (not yet signed for 20/21)

Comments

• ross1 said:
    Hadn't realised that Mathews played in the Tony Watt Celtic Barcelona game
  • Scoham said:
    I love the camera angle of this photo with the position of the scarf being held it gives the impression the Covered End is one big tiered stand.
  • Presume he is only contracted til the end of the season?
  • Hopefully once the window is over a few of current players will have there contracts negotiated.  Will be interesting who is and who isnt offered.
  • Presume he is only contracted til the end of the season?
    He is, I think hes earning a new deal based on his recent displays. 
    I generally hadn't been impressed with what I'd seen of him this season, but yesterday he looked like a first-choice Championship right-back.
  • Gillis said:
    Presume he is only contracted til the end of the season?
    I generally hadn't been impressed with what I'd seen of him this season, but yesterday he looked like a first-choice Championship right-back.
    Yeah hes taken a while to settle. But over the last 6 weeks he has had 3/4 really good games now. Definitely first choice. 
  • Been very impressed with Matthews of late. Whether he remains beyond the end of the season will depend on the ambition of the club but at the very worst he's now the best RB at the club.

Not sure where this leaves Solly either who's also out of contract end of the season.
  • Been very impressed with Matthews of late. Whether he remains beyond the end of the season will depend on the ambition of the club but at the very worst he's now the best RB at the club.

Not sure where this leaves Solly either who's also out of contract end of the season.
    At the moment I would say we would need a RB to come in and compete with Matthews. Personally I feel there’s one place up for grabs between the two of them. Plenty of time for Solly to make that place his. 
  • Sponsored links:

Gillingham.
    Katrien is that you?
  • Gillis said:
    Presume he is only contracted til the end of the season?
    Yeah hes taken a while to settle. But over the last 6 weeks he has had 3/4 really good games now. Definitely first choice. 
    Agreed. Looked very mediocre to begin with. Last few games he’s been good though. Thought he was supposed to be quite attacking, but he hasn’t ever really marauded down the wing but he’s looking a steady defender now who does support the attack. Reminiscent of Solly in his younger years. Suspect we’re seeing the benefit of a run of games and getting really match fit. Clear first choice now and good enough for our current objectives. Might look even better with better players around him, but suspect both full back slots will be on the summer shopping list. 

At the moment I would say we would need a RB to come in and compete with Matthews. Personally I feel there’s one place up for grabs between the two of them. Plenty of time for Solly to make that place his. 
    Let's be honest Solly isn't good/fit/reliable enough to be first choice RB any more.  The question is, is Matthews?

Both their contracts will be telling, for what it's worth I would give Matthews a new deal now.  Solly, I think it's more about what he wants to do.  Is he prepared to stay here is 3rd choice (on a reflective wage), does he want to coach, does he want to play league 1 or 2 and just play?

It's a sad sight really, he could have been one hell of a player, well he was but not anywhere as long as he should have. 
  • I suppose there is the possibility that Chris would struggle with a medical elsewhere.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Been very impressed with Matthews of late. Whether he remains beyond the end of the season will depend on the ambition of the club but at the very worst he's now the best RB at the club.

Let's be honest Solly isn't good/fit/reliable enough to be first choice RB any more.  The question is, is Matthews?

Both their contracts will be telling, for what it's worth I would give Matthews a new deal now.  Solly, I think it's more about what he wants to do.  Is he prepared to stay here is 3rd choice (on a reflective wage), does he want to coach, does he want to play league 1 or 2 and just play?

It's a sad sight really, he could have been one hell of a player, well he was but not anywhere as long as he should have. 
    Are we going to want Solly as third choice RB? I doubt we will have 3 RBs, especially with Oshilija able to play there. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Been very impressed with Matthews of late. Whether he remains beyond the end of the season will depend on the ambition of the club but at the very worst he's now the best RB at the club.

Are we going to want Solly as third choice RB? I doubt we will have 3 RBs, especially with Oshilija able to play there. 
    That's what I ment it would be up to him (reduced wages). 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

That's what I ment it would be up to him (reduced wages). 
    I would be surprised if we offered anything to a third choice RB so not necessarily up to him. Unless it was possibly a player coach deal and he rarely plays.
  • I'm sure Solly won't be here solely as a player next season, as sadly he's not good enough. He's a shadow of the player he was. Whether he takes a player/coach role, moves to L1/L2 or retires I don't know. By the end of last season Djiksteel had overtaken him, even if we go down it's hard to see him being first choice for an ambitious club looking for promotion out of L1.

Matthews has looked decent enough in recent games, but we hardly need to worry about tying him down, and going forward we may want better.
  • Sponsored links:

• Reminds me of Luke Young. 
  • Talal said:
    Solly has been written off before but then started this season very well. Matthews is definitely first choice now but Solly could still have a part to play once players return from injury and we have a more settled team again. 
    Would you give him a contract as one of your two RBs for next season? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Solly has been written off before but then started this season very well. Matthews is definitely first choice now but Solly could still have a part to play once players return from injury and we have a more settled team again. 
    Right now? No, but there's plenty of the season to go. Also whether we go down or not would likely be a factor.
  • Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Right now? No, but there's plenty of the season to go. Also whether we go down or not would likely be a factor.
    His knee isn't going to get better is it..... 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Why did he look so solid during our good start to the season? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    In fairness he started the season ok. His knee doesn’t to seem to be a major problem with his fitness, maybe just performances. 

Although I am in agreement I wouldn’t have him in a solid championship team. 
  • Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Why did he look so solid during our good start to the season? 
    I though he was very good against Leeds, that was the best I had seen him play for years.  But I wouldn't have him in a 23 man squad if I had any ambition in the championship. 

I would how ever like to have him around, if we could agree terms or a role.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    I’d keep him around the place. He’s Charlton through and through and good for the dressing room. He’s also had some good matches this season and he’s never been a liability, imo. If you need someone to come in and play 2 or 3 matches at right back then he’d still a good option. Playing week in week out at wing back, then no he’s not the answer. Bloke deserves the loyalty of a contract offer at the very least and a chance to build for a coaching roll, if that’s what he wants.
    Does he deserve the loyalty of a contract offer? Look I don’t blame people like Taylor wanting to leave for money and/or career progression. So for the same reasons we can’t offer contracts to players based on loyalty either.