Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adam Matthews - (not yet signed for 20/21)

Comments

• Unsure as to whether he can realistically play much but as a squad player Chris is good enough and to be honest I would hate to seem him leave. His footballing intelligence is top notch
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Solly has been written off before but then started this season very well. Matthews is definitely first choice now but Solly could still have a part to play once players return from injury and we have a more settled team again. 
    Would you give him a contract as one of your two RBs for next season? 
    I’d keep him around the place. He’s Charlton through and through and good for the dressing room. He’s also had some good matches this season and he’s never been a liability, imo. If you need someone to come in and play 2 or 3 matches at right back then he’d still a good option. Playing week in week out at wing back, then no he’s not the answer. Bloke deserves the loyalty of a contract offer at the very least and a chance to build for a coaching roll, if that’s what he wants.
    Does he deserve the loyalty of a contract offer? Look I don’t blame people like Taylor wanting to leave for money and/or career progression. So for the same reasons we can’t offer contracts to players based on loyalty either. 
    If he had nothing left to offer the club then I’d agree, but as I outlined above I believe he does still have things to offer. I think he’s been ok I most of his appearances and finality with which he gets constantly written off is not really in line with how he’s actually performed.

Plus, football is an emotional business. We all bitched about Roland breaking it down to pure brass tacks and numbers, and we are all quick to complain when a player leaves for the next best offer. Loyalty is a two way street, and I think a one club player like Solly, particularly as he has always played with 100% commitment and determination, should be found a role. Like I say, he can still be a useful squad member, club captain and probably embark on a coaching career. We tend to do best when we have Charlton people around the place. If Sols doesn’t count as a Charlton person, I don’t know who does. 
    Like I said, hopefully it will be down to him, ie he can stay as back up, and be paid as such. If he wants to coach he should have a job for life.

He has had some good games this season, Leeds stands out, he has had some shockers as well.

Look at statbank, if anything he is often slightly over marked.  If he was a new signing he would get pelters.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    Talal said:
    Solly has been written off before but then started this season very well. Matthews is definitely first choice now but Solly could still have a part to play once players return from injury and we have a more settled team again. 
    Would you give him a contract as one of your two RBs for next season? 
    I’d keep him around the place. He’s Charlton through and through and good for the dressing room. He’s also had some good matches this season and he’s never been a liability, imo. If you need someone to come in and play 2 or 3 matches at right back then he’d still a good option. Playing week in week out at wing back, then no he’s not the answer. Bloke deserves the loyalty of a contract offer at the very least and a chance to build for a coaching roll, if that’s what he wants.
    Does he deserve the loyalty of a contract offer? Look I don’t blame people like Taylor wanting to leave for money and/or career progression. So for the same reasons we can’t offer contracts to players based on loyalty either. 
    If he had nothing left to offer the club then I’d agree, but as I outlined above I believe he does still have things to offer. I think he’s been ok I most of his appearances and finality with which he gets constantly written off is not really in line with how he’s actually performed.

Plus, football is an emotional business. We all bitched about Roland breaking it down to pure brass tacks and numbers, and we are all quick to complain when a player leaves for the next best offer. Loyalty is a two way street, and I think a one club player like Solly, particularly as he has always played with 100% commitment and determination, should be found a role. Like I say, he can still be a useful squad member, club captain and probably embark on a coaching career. We tend to do best when we have Charlton people around the place. If Sols doesn’t count as a Charlton person, I don’t know who does. 
    It’s a difficult one. I understand what you’re saying. But I don’t think we should have three right backs unless possibly he is a coach at the same time. Not sure we should offer contracts on the basis of loyalty, even to Solly. We can’t accept players leaving without loyalty and then offer a contract to Solly. 

Of course this isn’t relevant if you think he can be one of the two right backs. Personally I hope he plays well over the next few months and proves he can be. 
  • Solly impressed last with the run and assist against Fulham for CG's goal. But since then, his play has become really reactive and negative.
  • Sage said:
    Matthews has really come on in recent months because we have regularly played with wing backs and that suits his game far better. He may not be this ultra attacking right back, but he’s relatively quick and does support the attacks well enough. He has also improved on his defensive ability too.

Solly is not suited to the wing back role, and never really has been. He was an incredible player for us before but unfortunately doesn’t hit those heights for us too often anymore. However, if we were to play a flat back four and have our best midfield, I’d probably prefer Solly in a flat four at right back than Matthews. That can be argued and debated, but his positioning, defence intelligence, and the fact that I can’t remember a time he let us down, would get him the nod ahead for me.

But we don’t often play that way and a lot is demanded upon our full backs getting forward and providing width, this is why Doughty has done so well for us of late. So because of that, right now Matthews is ahead of Solly. But I still believe he has a part to play and is an important member of our squad in many ways. 
    But will he come the summer when his contract runs out? 

If we are moving forward to a new era when we have money to spend, and Bowyer and Gallen will be building a team to be competitive in this division and look towards promotion, is Solly good enough to be one of our 2 right backs? Especially when he struggles to play 3 games in 8 days, so if the other RB is injured we'd need a 3rd player to cover the position?

It would be nice to keep him in some sort of coaching/utility player role, but then he might feel he's too young to go into coaching and prefer to play on at a lower level
  • Depends what division we are in. If we stay up, then Solly ought to be replaced.

If we go down, we could keep him as a second right back.

The loyalty thing has already been squared off with his testimonial game v Aston Villa. 
  • I think this is all a bit premature - deciding who we keep on and dont keep on next season. That's 2 transfer windows away. 

We have no idea what business will be done. What the budget will be and where we will be aiming. 

Solly is still a good player at this level as the run at the start of the season proved. There will be plenty of weeks where we will have 2 games in a week so solly will play. And enough of the season left for him to go on a decent run. Couple of poor games does not a poor player make.
  • I think this is all a bit premature - deciding who we keep on and dont keep on next season. That's 2 transfer windows away. 

We have no idea what business will be done. What the budget will be and where we will be aiming. 

Solly is still a good player at this level as the run at the start of the season proved. There will be plenty of weeks where we will have 2 games in a week so solly will play. And enough of the season left for him to go on a decent run. Couple of poor games does not a poor player make.
    Thanks Yoda!!
  • Sponsored links:

Probably a bit premature but I don’t think there’s any harm in discussing it, particularly on this thread. But yes agreed there’s time left but at the moment Matthews is first choice. 
  • I still think neither are first choice - Its the one area Bowyer can comfortably rotate to keep both fit

Solly unfortunately isnt in form at the moment, nor does it help that people seem to have latched on to his tendancy to pass backwards whenever we get a free kick (Derby) yet ignore it when Matthews equally does the same (Swansea) - Only difference between those two instances is the fact the former EVENTUALLY led to a goal yet seeing there was a phase of play its impossible to pin it on that incident

If neither had injury troubles then yeah I'd agree that Matthews is probably slightly ahead at the moment

Someone will have to remind me how often we all thought Jackson was finished, only to be proven wrong
  • I noticed that Solly wasn't even on the bench on Saturday. He really isn't the player he once was and I'm sure every true Charlton fan would love him to rediscover his form of five years ago but I can't see it and honestly think he'll be finishing his career in the lower leagues..... not with us!
  • I still think neither are first choice - Its the one area Bowyer can comfortably rotate to keep both fit

Solly unfortunately isnt in form at the moment, nor does it help that people seem to have latched on to his tendancy to pass backwards whenever we get a free kick (Derby) yet ignore it when Matthews equally does the same (Swansea) - Only difference between those two instances is the fact the former EVENTUALLY led to a goal yet seeing there was a phase of play its impossible to pin it on that incident

If neither had injury troubles then yeah I'd agree that Matthews is probably slightly ahead at the moment

Someone will have to remind me how often we all thought Jackson was finished, only to be proven wrong
    Disagree, whilst playing Solly isn’t going to be an issue keeping Bows up at night, I think Matthews is definitely first choice now. I think the rotation, both recent and going forward, will be when we have fixture congestion. 

People are certainly writing off Solly which could be a mistake. At the same time others leap to his defence purely on the basis of loyalty. I don’t think it’s disrespectful to suggest Solly shouldn’t be in the first team, it’s just an observation. Surely you should be allowed to have an opinion without digging Solly out. 

He has certainly earned the right for respect, but in a results business, certainly in the position we are, he shouldn’t he picked on the basis he is a club legend. 
  • And it begins...
  • edited July 2020
    Scoham said:
    No surprise there,hes proved hes good enough to play in the championship. The exodus begins😔
  • Here we go..... 
  • Scoham said:
    No surprise there,hes proved hes good enough to play in the championship. The exodus begins😔
    Agreed, far too good for league one. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It's the Bowyer effect, seems to get the most out of his players. 
  • edited July 2020
    Good luck to him. Far too good for league 1. Did a very good job for us. 

Phillips, Lockyer and Doughty to follow no doubt. I dread to think of the state of the team next season. 
  • Agree - always pleased to see his name in the line up.

Thanks, Adam, and good luck.
  • Sad to see him go, but he's one of the first you'd expect to move on
  • edited July 2020
    Sorry to see him go. He's turned into a good player for us.

Anyone know what Chris Solly's plans for next year are? 😁