Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New FIFA rule: goalkeepers can only be substituted for goalkeepers

FIFA haven't come up with this rule yet, but they should. 

A nominated goalkeeper on the bench should only be allowed to be brought on for the goalkeeper nominated in the starting eleven.  But a goalkeeper substitution should be allowed at any time before the final whistle, even if the maximum limit for substitutes has been reached. 

The advantage of this is where a team's goalkeeper suffers an injury having already used its limit of subs.  In this case, the likely outcome of the game is unfairly tilted against the team that has suffered the injury.  And, in some cases, could favour a team who deliberately injure an opponent's goalkeeper. 

However, when a goalkeeper is shown a red card, what currently happens is that an outfield player is then substituted for an experienced goalkeeper.  In this case, the disadvantage of having a goalkeeper sent off is reduced - unfairly, in my view - by having an experienced goalkeeper in effect taking his place. 

I think FIFA should bring in this rule.  

Comments

• If there any substitution change, it to allow for a concussion assessments to be done and a team not punished for the player being off the pitch for 5/10 minutes to do it properly
  • This used to be the rule twenty years ago when you could have two substitutes plus a goalkeeper.

But it was "abused" (mainly in Mexico I think) where it is more common for goalkeepers and outfield players to swap places during a game. 

In the end FIFA just ended up allowing any three substitutes.
  • But you’d stop things like this from happening again... https://youtu.be/hZj7xcehvOU
  • nope, not happy with any rule that would've denied us those magic Steve Brown in goal moments
  • Stop piddling about with the rules. 
  • Rothko said:
    If there any substitution change, it to allow for a concussion assessments to be done and a team not punished for the player being off the pitch for 5/10 minutes to do it properly
    I’ve heard this mentioned a few times. What would happen if this ‘concussion sub’ gets a yellow or sent off? Would the yellow stand? Would the concussed player be allowed back on? 

Or what if he scores? Does the goal count if he was only a temporary player?
  • I even sat killer go in goal once. 
    Far too many substitutes as there are.
    Bloody heck our own Kieth Peacock was the first one ever used.
    You now have 14 subs at most games and this favours the biggest clubs. 
    Less subs not more for me.
  • Ross said:
    Rothko said:
    If there any substitution change, it to allow for a concussion assessments to be done and a team not punished for the player being off the pitch for 5/10 minutes to do it properly
    I’ve heard this mentioned a few times. What would happen if this ‘concussion sub’ gets a yellow or sent off? Would the yellow stand? Would the concussed player be allowed back on? 

Ross said:
    Rothko said:

Bigger problem is the "like for like".

We start in a 541 formation, go one down.  After 60 minutes Bowyer replaces Pratley with Bonne and we quickly score twice.  After 85 minutes Johnny Williams a knock on the head, on comes Pratley to see out the victory.

I can see now Jose arguing that Son is actually really a left back. 

• Ross said:
    Rothko said:

Same as rugby if you get sent off as a concussion replacement the assessed player can’t return to the game, and if you score a try it still counts. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Slightly off topic but if a fouled player needs treatment and has to go off the fouler should also at a 2:1 ratio. The injured player is off for 1 minute, the fouler is off for 2 minutes.
  • Think this is bad? You should see Chizz talk about cricket
  • They could always fix the offside law and VAR before they break anything else.
  • Can we not focus on the more important things such as multi ball devaluing a hat trick as a player can take home a ball he has not even scored with.