Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Saracens docked 35 points & fined £5.3 million

Premiership and European champions Saracens have been docked 35 points for breaching salary cap regulations.

The punishment comes after an investigation into business partnerships between chairman Nigel Wray and some of the club's players.

Saracens have also been fined £5.36m, with the points deduction coming into immediate effect in the Premiership.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50300756

Comments

• They've done them twice?

The RFU don't feck about.
  • Shame they dont do this to big football teams 
  • for the past few years Saracens have been hoovering up lots of talent from around the world. For example they now have the Enlgand first and third choice hookers on the books.  England full back Daley is the latest signing, though after Saturday's performance they might wish they'd saved their cash. Saracens are the N E Pats of English R U, their success is both awesome and boring
  • Surely it'd be better to strip them of any titles they've won in the period they were deemed to have effectively 'cheated' in?
  • Roland should have bought a rugby club.
  • for the past few years Saracens have been hoovering up lots of talent from around the world. For example they now have the Enlgand first and third choice hookers on the books.  England full back Daley is the latest signing, though after Saturday's performance they might wish they'd saved their cash. Saracens are the N E Pats of English R U, their success is both awesome and boring
    Both of whom came through their academy so hardly hoovering up talent from round the world. 

You'll find that Saracens have the largest portion of home grown academy players than any other team in the league. With plenty more now at other clubs in the leaguie too.  
  • I was checking both threads to see who put the 2nd one up and was going to comment. You have ruined my fun, you got there before me mate 😂😂

Both of whom came through their academy so hardly hoovering up talent from round the world. 

You'll find that Saracens have the largest portion of home grown academy players than any other team in the league. With plenty more now at other clubs in the leaguie too.  
    for the past few years Saracens have been hoovering up lots of talent from around the world. For example they now have the Enlgand first and third choice hookers on the books.  England full back Daley is the latest signing, though after Saturday's performance they might wish they'd saved their cash. Saracens are the N E Pats of English R U, their success is both awesome and boring

like academy players Koch, Brits, Rhodes, Burger, Skelton ? .. I take your point though, Saracens do have a very good academy set up .. and it must cost them a fortune that other clubs just cannot match, except perhaps for Exeter who also sign a lot of overseas talent
  • Sponsored links:

for the past few years Saracens have been hoovering up lots of talent from around the world. For example they now have the Enlgand first and third choice hookers on the books.  England full back Daley is the latest signing, though after Saturday's performance they might wish they'd saved their cash. Saracens are the N E Pats of English R U, their success is both awesome and boring

like academy players Koch, Brits, Rhodes, Burger, Skelton ? .. I take your point though, Saracens do have a very good academy set up .. and it must cost them a fortune that other clubs just cannot match, except perhaps for Exeter who also sign a lot of overseas talent
    They probably pay a fair whack for Sketon and Rhodes. Koch is also on big money but is their marquee player so outside the salary cap. Brits and Burger were brought in from relative obscurity in South Africa and made the players they were. 

No doubt they have chucked some big money at big name players, but they do have an incredible academy system and a huge amount of players have come through that. 
  • Their team coach just pulled into the service station I’m in on the M6. F**k me, they are huge!
  • Their team coach just pulled into the service station I’m in on the M6. F**k me, they are huge!
    Not the first time you've said that.
  • edited November 2019
    Interesting comparison with Rugby League which has a salary cap BUT allowance is made for one 'marquee player' (he does not have to be as big as a large tent to qualify) .. Sonny Bill Williams, the 34 year old ex All Black has signed for the new Super League team, Toronto Wolfpack for a reported £5 Million over two years .; only £125,000 of this salary will count towards the club's overall salary cap .. some fee for an aging marquee

as an aside, the Wolfpack will be playing 18 games in Europe next season .. to and fro across the pond as well as (presumably) 18 trips to Canada by the Euro teams .. that is a BIG carbon 'footprint'
    Did Nigel Wray give all the players brown envelopes?
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/50457698

Saracens aren't appealing the verdict. As a result

• It’s interesting, isn’t. They’ve breached a salary cap yet all of their players from last year are still there and they’re still paying the same salaries. Are they still in breach? This is the start of the breakup of that squad, I reckon. 
  • Looks like they will be relegated for a failure to get under the salary cap this season. They took the 35pt deduction for the last 3 seasons of breaching the cap but still have the same squad of players including 9 England players. They have been smashing teams this season and currently looks unlikely they would be relegated. But the other teams are pushing for them to get sent down. Pretty amazing to think the current Premiership and European Champions will be relegated. If they do try and get rid of high earning players, where will they go? can’t imagine many English teams have the financial capacity to take them on. If they go to France who pay high wages they lose their eligibility to play for a England. Right mess.
  • Most of the england side playing in the championship next year ? And if the win the Heineken Cup this year do they get to defend it next year from the championship ?

• Sponsored links:

• Most of the england side playing in the championship next year ? And if the win the Heineken Cup this year do they get to defend it next year from the championship ?

No

Most of the england side playing in the championship next year ? And if the win the Heineken Cup this year do they get to defend it next year from the championship ?

a few will be offloaded to reduce the wage bill
  • We don't really know the ins and outs till they publish the secret report into the findings. They were deemed to have 'recklessly but not deliberately' exceeded the cap... Suggestion is that Wray invested money for players to start up business but these were ruled payments and then part of the salary cap.  So any profits from the business were also deemed payments... one of the players set up a Coffee company and now supplies the new Spurs Stadium! 

They're cash rich, and will walk the Championship next year which is semi pro.  They seem very tight nit group I imagine they loan out a few players on one year deals, get rid of the older ones but keep the majority of the Squad together, next season the England players will be well rested, play a handful of games for Saracens be totally fit for England and the Lions tour.... that is if they don't scrap relegation in the summer anyway! 
  • edited January 2020
    Have been relegated

Thats how you bloody well do it!!
  • Sounds like they were given the chance to fully open up the books but didn’t. 
  • A real mess, as a load of England players are involved. Will they
    a) find another PL club, bearing in mind most will have fairly full squads anyway, and are already maxed out on wages
    b) go to France and lose eligibility for England
    c) or play in the second tier?
  • Well that's their problem they've brought upon themselves. 
  • Maybe they could loan us Itodje, he might be able to mark people at corners