Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2020 transfer rumours thread (Deadline Day starts Page 283)

Comments

• I think the only players I would want from Sunderland are Lynden Gooch and Luke O'Nien, maybe McGeady. Used to rate Max Power but he is in decline 
    Definitely not Gooch or McGeady. Cannot see how Power can be decline at 26. Having said that I cannot see how Power and the lad from Liverpool would both sign, we need a more attacking midfielder. 
    Not that he is worth really discussing cause it's not gonna happen but why not Gooch? 8 goals and 1 assist so far playing as a singer this season, most Sunderland fans say he is their player of the year so far
  • I think the only players I would want from Sunderland are Lynden Gooch and Luke O'Nien, maybe McGeady. Used to rate Max Power but he is in decline 
    Definitely not Gooch or McGeady. Cannot see how Power can be decline at 26. Having said that I cannot see how Power and the lad from Liverpool would both sign, we need a more attacking midfielder. 
    Not that he is worth really discussing cause it's not gonna happen but why not Gooch? 8 goals and 1 assist so far playing as a singer this season, most Sunderland fans say he is their player of the year so far
    Gooch singing? Didn't they dress up as Cabin Crew and enter Eurovision?
  • Redrobo said:
    I think the only players I would want from Sunderland are Lynden Gooch and Luke O'Nien, maybe McGeady. Used to rate Max Power but he is in decline 
    I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that we need a more attacking midfielder. We are shipping goals and part of that reason is that kids do not track players effectively. We also concede so much possession that the defence is under constant pressure.
    We do have Williams, Green, and Oztumer who can provide the cutting edge and this will not be our only signing.
    I would also suggest that a player who has been with Liverpool for so long will be very very good at the transition between defence and attack - he will know how to make a telling forward pass!
    Because we have Cullen, Field, Pratley and Lapslie who can play that sort of role. Yes we are struggling at the moment but that's because 3 of those have been injured. Chuck in two new signings and that's too many players in one position. We have lost Gallagher who's goals were a big part of our early success. We need a midfielder who can score goals. I love Williams and he should start most of the time but he doesn't score goals. 
    An attacking midfielder capable of scoring a goal would have helped get something in games like Swansea and Derby. 
    Hopefully that can be Aneke, but he appears to be made of glass.
    I still think we need 2 CMs to replace Kayal and Gallgher, and I just hope they are not both defensive midfielders. We need one capable of popping up in the box. 
    These guys would help us keep clean sheets. Perhaps one more attacking no 10 type is on the cards as well? If so I think that'd be an excellent window (losing Gallagher notwithstanding).
    Gooch singing? Didn't they dress up as Cabin Crew and enter Eurovision?

• JamesSeed said:
    Redrobo said:
    I think the only players I would want from Sunderland are Lynden Gooch and Luke O'Nien, maybe McGeady. Used to rate Max Power but he is in decline 
    I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that we need a more attacking midfielder. We are shipping goals and part of that reason is that kids do not track players effectively. We also concede so much possession that the defence is under constant pressure.
    We do have Williams, Green, and Oztumer who can provide the cutting edge and this will not be our only signing.
    I would also suggest that a player who has been with Liverpool for so long will be very very good at the transition between defence and attack - he will know how to make a telling forward pass!
    Because we have Cullen, Field, Pratley and Lapslie who can play that sort of role. Yes we are struggling at the moment but that's because 3 of those have been injured. Chuck in two new signings and that's too many players in one position. We have lost Gallagher who's goals were a big part of our early success. We need a midfielder who can score goals. I love Williams and he should start most of the time but he doesn't score goals. 
    An attacking midfielder capable of scoring a goal would have helped get something in games like Swansea and Derby. 
    Hopefully that can be Aneke, but he appears to be made of glass.
    I still think we need 2 CMs to replace Kayal and Gallgher, and I just hope they are not both defensive midfielders. We need one capable of popping up in the box. 
    These guys would help us keep clean sheets. Perhaps one more attacking no 10 type is on the cards as well? If so I think that'd be an excellent window (losing Gallagher notwithstanding).
    Do we really need another two defensive midfielders? Sorry I just don't agree. Not unless we are going to have a squad of 50. We may be more solid defensively but then will lack goals. Placing a massive reliance on the strikers. Gallagher's goals were of huge importance in our early season form and it's vital we have a midfielder capable of scoring 4-5 goals from now until the summer. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I think we can get away with two midfielders and one striker. Of the right quality of course.
    Green bone taylor Davidson and hemed should be enough - taylor and green first choice - Lockyer is the only centre half good enough 
    Davison is raw, Green is not a striker, Taylor - we don't know what is happening there. Bonne out for 2-3 weeks, Hemed hasn't scored for us yet.

if nobody leaves
  • How would Cawley know what our potential wage budget is? 

I take that as running currently at a League One wage bill. He has no idea if we can change that if our board want too.
    He talks to Bowyer all the time. I think he probably does has a clue about this stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Valley11 said:
    Only Charlton could end up with a skint Sheikh 
    Lol that’s hilarious !
  • Jamie19 said:
    I read that as currently, not going forward.
    Same here.

It was fairly well known we already had the lowest budget in the league and now we've lost more players than we've signed this month.
  • So even if that is just currently that means most of the players we could have hoped to get we now won't. On the chance we do go down then what? We suddenly pay championship wages? That doesn't make sense. 

I've read that as FFP is irrelevant, we simply won't pay decent wages to players for this level. 
  • I’ve met max powers dad, mutual friends from the Wirral, will ask the question 
  • How would Cawley know what our potential wage budget is? 

I take that as running currently at a League One wage bill. He has no idea if we can change that if our board want too.
    People get very defensive when someone even suggests that we are not mega rich. I'm not sure that's what he's saying here, but I think it's probably best to be open to the possibility. Personally I have always believed we are not. 
  • edited January 2020
    Chunes said:
    How would Cawley know what our potential wage budget is? 

People get very defensive when someone even suggests that we are not mega rich. I'm not sure that's what he's saying here, but I think it's probably best to be open to the possibility. Personally I have always believed we are not. 
    Who is getting defensive? Just speculating like everybody else on here and Cawley
  • Sponsored links:

• Redrobo said:
    3 of those are out injured at the moment, with Cullen the nearest to a return. Pratley is one booking away from a 2 match ban
  • Sorry , not got time to read all posts, is Marcus Maddison signing today by 1pm, or is this another internet fib?
  • edited January 2020
    Ok well either way it isn't exactly clear, it's not like he has said we are willing to increase or maintain that bill, it could be read either way. Again all anyone can do is wait it out, 11 days to go though

Edit: to be clear I knew we paid league 1 wages, even in league 1 we weren't up there. 
  • Redrobo said:
    3 of those are out injured at the moment, with Cullen the nearest to a return. Pratley is one booking away from a 2 match ban
    So you think we need two defensive midfielders? If so, we will just have to agree to disagree. 
  • Sorry , not got time to read all posts, is Marcus Maddison signing today by 1pm, or is this another internet fib?
    It's not happening.
  • edited January 2020
    Sorry , not got time to read all posts, is Marcus Maddison signing today by 1pm, or is this another internet fib?

No one's got a crystal ball.

Someone needs to get down to the training ground and do a head count. :smile:

• Not that this is exactly a rumour, but I'm told we want at least two in before Fulham, of three we are looking to make happen, this week. Suspect Chirivella would be one of those before Fulham presuming RH is right (loans slightly easier to sort).

But, hell, this doesn't even mean we're necessarily bloody signing three players this week! But it's not like there's no intent from either Bowyer/Gallen or ESI in general.

Not that I'll be relaxed until stuff is on the OS though.