Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton v Barnsley | Sat 1 Feb | 3pm KO | Match Preview, Predictions, News & Views

Charlton Athletic v Barnsley
Saturday 1st February 2020 … 3pm Kick-Off
Referee: John Brooks (prev. games: Charlton 1-0 Leeds)

Introduction
Football returns for Charlton fans this weekend after a break of almost two weeks – FA Cup commitments would see our tie with Fulham brought forward, in what was a deserved draw, we saw the signs that the Addicks can yet pull way from the predicament they currently find themselves in. This Saturday we welcome fellow strugglers: Barnsley to the Valley, it’s a game where three points could prove to be vitally important, yet with another three months of football to go, it’s not a game where our future will be decided!!

The Opposition
Name: Barnsley (23rd) | Manager: Gerhard Struber
Ground: Oakwell
Previous Result: Barnsley 2-2 Charlton Athletic

It was early in the season when these two sides would meet; the Addicks with maximum points after two games would travel to Yorkshire in good spirits; Barnsley themselves would play the role of hosts as a team who hadn’t lost at home in over a year – When the full time whistle was blown you’d struggle to argue that a 2-2 draw wasn’t a fair result, our opponents showed the sort of form we’d seen from them in League One, whilst it was a typical performance from a Charlton side starting the season strongly.

For the Tykes though, it was just one of a handful of points they would pick up for a number of months… A run (similar to that of our own at present) would see Daniel Stendel sacked with the relatively unknown: Struber entering English Football for the first time… Yet the Austrian could be a shrewd choice, he would guide Wolfsburger AC (not the Volkswagen works team) to their first Europa League campaign before being lured to the Championship.

With his appointment in November; results had slightly improved, a 4-2 defeat at Portsmouth last weekend in the FA Cup could be a blow to the confidence of a team who’ll be desperate for three points, and even then will it be enough? – Our opponents this weekend stole three points in our last relegation six pointer, yet it would be the Yorkshiremen who would return to League One

Proof that win or lose on Saturday… Nothing gets decided this early with so many games left!!

Charlton Team News
When the clocks chime 11pm tomorrow night we’ll finally be able to bear witness to the Charlton squad that will guide us to the end of the season –One thing that will be obvious is that both Steve Gallen and Lee Bowyer will be working round the clock to bring in reinforcements, the former should enjoy any rest he can get before starting all over again in a few months time!!

In terms of current squad availability we can finally look like a team rather than a day care centre; Sam Field the latest to return to match day contention, you’d think that Chuks Aneke could also have some involvement; the Milton Keynes Dons signing has found his shooting boots after four goals in two games for the U23s

Phillips
Matthews | Lockyer | Pearce | Purrington
Cullen | Pratley | Doughty
Williams
Taylor | Hemed

Substitutes Bench: Amos | Oshilaja | Sarr | Oztumer | Field | Aneke | Green

Prediction
Have no doubt that this’ll be a Match Preview predicting all manner of teams with certain players like Lyle Taylor left out in many cases – Regardless they’ll be a sign of the strength that Lee Bowyer finally has at his disposal once more… We’ve struggled against teams lower in the table this season, yet undefeated in four games at the Valley, we’re rebuilding a fortress!!

Comments

• I hope your team is right FA, looks stronger than it has been for a long while
  • ross1 said:
    I hope your team is right FA, looks stronger than it has been for a long while
    Wont be surprised if Im being a tad optimistic about Taylor starting - If he's still here I reckon it'll be Green for Taylor
  • If Williams and Taylor start then I fancy a win. 2-1.
  • Your starting line up looks OK to me .. Hemed ? .. done feck all so far but we must persevere with him.
    Cliché time .. this is a must win 6 pointer .. and we will win this .. just

CAFC 2 v Barnsley 0
  • Comfortable home win 4-0.
  • Otzumer showed lots of energy and tenacity at the Fulham game, it would be great if both him and williams could start. 
  • Quality preview as always.

I keep telling myself we've got this in the bag. Going to stick with it.

2-0 Charlton Lyle + Lockyer with the goals.

• Like your team.

I'm not convinced Alfie will work on the left of the diamond. He will either drift wide too much and play as a winger leaving us short in midfield or he will stay inside and we will lose his strength. But with the squad as it stands I think it's the best option. 

Alternatively we may go 4231 as we did against Fulham with Doughty Williams and Oztumer/Green behind Taylor or Hemed depending on fitness.
  • Sponsored links:

• Weeks of anguish and uncertainty will fall from the shoulders of players, fans, management and owners.  This won't be a football match, it will be a celebration.  A momentous exhibition of what can be achieved by a committed, single-minded, determined group, with a single focus.  Three precious points will be the cherry on the icing.  The icing will be the six goals.  

A cobweb-blowing reintroduction to proper Charlton: players giving their all for a single cause and celebrating wildly and fully at - and beyond - the final whistle.  

Six-nil.  

Next? 
  • We're pretty terrible against teams around us so I think this could be a bit of a bastard. Ideally we'll beat them 2-0 but I wouldn't be shocked to see us churn out a miserable 0-0 or get rolled over 2-1 like we did in that game in April 2014 when we desperately needed to beat them, lost and let them get within two points of us. We stayed up that season though so it's not the end of the world. A win with a full Valley and a lot of players back would do confidence a world of good though
  • Hopefully we get some players in and get a positive result. Loss here, new owner in the stands plus Talyor leaving and no decent replacements and I imagine the honeymoon period will be well and truly over
  • Great preview as usual FA. 
    Even if we fail to sign anyone in time for Saturday our team will look the strongest it has in months. 
    With a packed covered end roaring the boys on I can only see a Happyvalley  prediction come true. 
    4.0 Charlton. 
  • Hopefully we get some players in and get a positive result. Loss here, new owner in the stands plus Talyor leaving and no decent replacements and I imagine the honeymoon period will be well and truly over

The honeymoons over for me.

• clb74 said:
    Hopefully we get some players in and get a positive result. Loss here, new owner in the stands plus Talyor leaving and no decent replacements and I imagine the honeymoon period will be well and truly over

What, before the wedding night?

• Nervy 1-0 win. The Covered End baaaaaancin
  • Oggy Red said:
    clb74 said:
    Hopefully we get some players in and get a positive result. Loss here, new owner in the stands plus Talyor leaving and no decent replacements and I imagine the honeymoon period will be well and truly over

Afternoon Oggy, you found me anywhere to live down your way?
    You know my budget.
  • The season turns for the better 2-0.
  • clb74 said:
    Oggy Red said:
    clb74 said:

Afternoon Oggy, you found me anywhere to live down your way?
    You know my budget.
    It's more than the club's budget for this transfer window.

I'll keep looking, clb74 .....  you never know maybe you can swap house with any Plymouth Argyle striker we sign at 10.55 tomorrow night?

• Sponsored links:

• Not enough kids in that team...
  •  2-1 to Charlton. 
  • Charlton 2-1 going one nil down early doors. But the packed out covered end lift the boys, Taylor to score a penalty after 80 mins 
  • No cutting edge without Taylor.
    With Taylor 2-1
    Without 1-2
  • edited January 2020
    Wonderful occaision, free tickets, bumper crowd, oodles of new signings, fans favorite staying and scoring a hat trick, our new owner gracing his new domain...

3-4 T'barnsley
  • We really need to win this one.

3-0. Taylor / Aneke / Green
  • Have to win so 1-2...defeat.
  • edited January 2020
    2-1 Charlton 

William's and Green