Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1983 fa cup v ipswich

Hi all, I was at that game 26,000 at the old valley, I was 15/16 years old. Great memories 

Comments

• Valley memories 
  • edited February 2020
    16,700 that day, although no doubt that was under-declared. 

My 3rd visit to The Valley and one of my favourites. The entertainment and drama was relentless. 

These days the players would be picked apart for all the errors but back then we looked at the overall performance...and it was a good one that day. 
  • great day. Ipswich were riding high with top players. Should have won!
  • 2.0 up early on and I remember Eric Gates diving into the penalty area to gain a penalty for Ipswich.  

Just as we were hoping for a replay visit to Portman Road they scored the winner. 
  • I had to miss this as I was recovering from having my appendix removed. Was practically in tears when the doctor advised against it, which was enough for my parents to put a block on it. 
  • Certainly in my top ten  greatest Charlton games I've attended.Like mentioned above the Eric Gates dive and what seemed at the time like enough added time on at the end so they could score the winner still grate with me. Even mentioned this to Alan Brazil when I met him at the Cheltenham Festival Two years ago! 
  • I was there - Ipswich were a big big club then, and little old Charlton matched them and should have won - I was on East Terrace - a rare match for those days when the Valley felt like it had a biggish crowd - normally in those days you stood on East Terrace and you could run around and no danger of bumping into someone !!
  • I felt so sorry for Les Berry who chased and caught Gates tackling him well outside the area yet Gates took off and landed inside the area and the referee fell for it!

Nevertheless we were 2-0 after 20 minutes or so against arguably the best team in the country at the time. That was in the days managers picked their strongest available team in the FA Cup too.
  • Simonsen was imperious that day. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I was there. Typical Charlton with a kick in the bollocks at the end.
  • My third Charlton game and the event of my conversion. Arrived wearing an Ipswich scarf then on the way back to the car told my dad I was a Charlton supporter now. 
  • edited February 2020
    https://youtu.be/AUv2EmPmSyw

Nearly 30mins of highlights of the game.
  • East terrace that day for me in my Fila BJ.
    Happy days!
  • https://youtu.be/AUv2EmPmSyw

Nearly 30mins of highlights of the game.
    Well at least that video puts paid to the myth that Gates somehow "dived" for the penalty. Berry takes his legs and he gets straight up again, only for Johns to take him out and he gets up again!

The contact from Berry was just outside the area, but no way was it a dive.
  • edited February 2020
    LenGlover said:
    I felt so sorry for Les Berry who chased and caught Gates tackling him well outside the area yet Gates took off and landed inside the area and the referee fell for it!

Lol. You watched the video Len?
  • I have to agree with that.  I always seemed to think it was a bit further outside the box and he dived. 
  • LenGlover said:
    I felt so sorry for Les Berry who chased and caught Gates tackling him well outside the area yet Gates took off and landed inside the area and the referee fell for it!

Nevertheless we were 2-0 after 20 minutes or so against arguably the best team in the country at the time. That was in the days managers picked their strongest available team in the FA Cup too.
    Les Berry hacked him down. No pen but should've been a red for a pro foul. 
  • We played so well that day and was so gutted.

The Away Day at Portman Road the few seasons earlier in the cup was also brilliant and I can honestly say  from us smashing the Spurs years earlier My first game Charlton ALWAYS!
  • Tavern said:
    We played so well that day and was so gutted.

The Away Day at Portman Road the few seasons earlier in the cup was also brilliant and I can honestly say  from us smashing the Spurs years earlier at My first game Charlton 77 I think will always stay with me.

• Sponsored links:

• Got married that day and often get ribbed as I sneaked out of the car to get the HT and FT scores... Think up to that point, it was the only game I had missed... 
  • I was at the game and recall Alan Brazil was unplayable!
  • I was at the game and recall Alan Brazil was unplayable!
    He was really quick but missed a lot chances. At least two one on ones with Nicky Johns. He ended up bashing the turf in frustration. 
  • But we couldn't cope with him and he was the difference.