Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

After dinner speakers

Been asked for ideas for our annual conference.

Any experience of particularly funny speakers at corporate events ?

Have previously had speakers such as Gyles Brandreth, Katherine Ryan , will greenwood, Karen Brady (awful) , etc

Comments

• Julian Clary
  • Roland Duchatelet
  • Barry Cryer. Very funny and made it look effortless
  • Rob Brydon
    John Bishop
  • Neil Ruddock
  • Brandreth is about the best on the circuit currently. I've heard that Bill Bailey, Rory Bremner, Al Murray and Dara O'Briain are all pretty good value.
  • We had Rory Bremner at a do many years ago and he was very good. 
  • Bob the cat Bevan. (No idea who he is, just remember him advertising in the programme in late 80s)
  • edited February 2020
    I went to an event a couple of years ago and Peter Shilton was the speaker, he had some great stories especially around THAT Maradona goal.` 

Oh, I remember him being a lot smaller that I imagined him being. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bob the cat Bevan. (No idea who he is, just remember him advertising in the programme in late 80s)
    I think he's a Nigel.
  • Give me Aggers everyday of the week
  • what industry do you work in? What's your budget?
  • Clive Harris, good on WW1
  • Just out of interest. How bad was Karen Brady?
  • _MrDick said:
    what industry do you work in? What's your budget?
    foreign exchange up to £20k max.
  • Just out of interest. How bad was Karen Brady?
    I didn't go to that one but everyone said it was a car crash.
    Stilted telling of stories, jokes that fell flat, and felt more like a business presentation apparently.
  • Going to see Rob Beckett host the publican awards at battersea evolution next Wednesday heard he’s good & will let u know 
  • thanks for all the suggestions.
  • Sponsored links:

• My old man said Stuart Pearce was brilliant 
  • Recent ones (that I can remember - usually too pissed) are:

Rob Andrew
    James Nesbitt 

• MrOneLung said:
    _MrDick said:
    what industry do you work in? What's your budget?
    foreign exchange up to £20k max.
    Rory Bremner would fit into that budget - he is hilarious as an after dinner speaker. Jimmy Carr is pretty good as well.

But as others have said - Gyles Brandreth is the pick of the crop.
  • Yeah, everyone said Brandreth was the best out of those we have had previously.
  • Another shout for Rory Bremner. Went to an industry awards presentation a few years ago which he hosted. He was hilarious. It also clashed with a major England World Cup game so everyone in the room voted to watch the game on the big screens so the awards got put back to 1030 pm. Bremner willingly went along with it despite the inconvenience and was outstanding. Also by 1030 everyone was arseholed which made us a more challenging audience but he was brilliant. 

Have also seen Dame Kelly Holmes who was lovely but forgettable and Sir Clive Woodward who was crap. From a few years ago, Max Boyce was very good if a slightly acquired taste. Also saw Ricky Gervais at about the time the Office was big. He wasn’t funny. 
    Palace
  • Its also important what they are like in the "green room" and how they behave.

From what I hear:-
    Nice / engaging / accommodating; Richard E Grant; James Corden (though now a bit more than £20k); Rob Brydon
    Rude / unengaging /Diva; Michael McIntyre, David Walliams.
  • Depends on the audience.  I work in a very Corporate job, which sadly suffers from a massive lack of diversity (although fortunately not with my actual employer)... Jo Brand not surprisingly bombed whereas Jack Whitehall went down very well.  Rob Brydon was surprisingly meh.