Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cover to Cover: To Love Somebody

Two versions of the same song.

Listen to both without prejudice and decide which you prefer

The 1967 sweet pop original by the brothers Gibb or the 1974 county cover by Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHtGu0OGEpc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma94UIw-CKY

Comments

• Hadn't heard either before and can't say either was my cup of tea. If I had to choose one, I'd go for the Gibb's original as it's got a bit more life in it. But if I had a real choice I'd turn them both off.
  • I love all the American style west coast, classic country style dressing on the Parsons/Burrito version but to me it is ultimately decorative.
    The Bee Gees version has a pop but songwriters honesty and sincerity. It is kind of pure. The Bee Gees get my vote.
  • Bee gees of these two. Nina Simone, dusty Springfield and even Tom Jones all do better versions of this song
  • I like the Nina Simone version best,, out of these two Bee Gees.

Hope you do more of these Henry.

• Janis Joplin.
  • P P Arnold
  • Roberta Flack.
  • Michael Bolton!

Yes there are other versions but the game is to choose which of these two you prefer rather than list all the others : - )
  • The Fly Burrito Bros version for me. Even though it was released four years after the mighty Gram left and one year after he died, so he couldn't have thought much of it.
  • Michael Bolton!

Yes there are other versions but the game is to choose which of these two you prefer rather than list all the others : - )
    You ask a simple question that requires an answer from two options and you get.............

Lol, only on Charlton Life
  • Sponsored links:

• Out of these two, easy win for the Bee Gees. 
  • Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Brothers for me.
  • Had the pleasure of seeing this performed live by the Flying Burrito Brothers (albeit  the version that toured the UK after Gram Parsons death ) and the pedal steel of Sneaky Pete makes it for me.
  • Like both but Gram Parsons any day.
  • Bee Gees
  • Bee gees . The other one is bloody awful . The bee gees isn’t the best either 
  • Out of the two, it’s the Bee Gees for me. At the risk of further irritating some lifers.....Buble’s version is my favourite.
  • I don't know if posting this breaks the rules, and I don't post in order to garner a further comparison, but there are plenty here who will enjoy this rather excellent performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr13p98ss0E
  • It's a classic by the bee gees and has been covered by many household names..Graham Parsons cover is good but it's the original for me 
  • Bee Gees by a mile. (I do like the Nina Simone version though).
  • Sponsored links:

• of the two Bee Gees, prefer it reggaefied though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWrbmbw0CxE
  • The brothers are without doubt wonderful songwriters, however I’m not a huge fan of them as artists.
    For me, Gram Parsons, also a great songwriter, wins this hands down, yes it’s a little loose, but it’s cracking.
  • The Bee Gees.
    Parsons version is a ponderous heap of cow shit
  • I think Greenie sums this one up for me but on the comments made I think the BeeGees win this one.

I'll do another one when another song pops into my head (heard this one in a car advert at the pictures) but no third, fourth or fifth artisting.

It's two choices and that's it : - )
  • I think Greenie sums this one up for me but on the comments made I think the BeeGees win this one.

I'll do another one when another song pops into my head (heard this one in a car advert at the pictures) but no third, fourth or fifth artisting.

Yes sir, can we comment on other versions?
  • No!  😛

Yeah Renault, but thought best not to mention it.