Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The NY Plane incident

edited January 2009 in Troubleshooting
Have always looked at that picture on the planes safety card, of it floating on the water, and thought "yeah right, like this huge thing is going to float!". Well, seeing that footage last night answered my question. Amazing job by the pilot... sounds like he would of been gliding over Manhattan - the outcome could have been so, so different...

15204481.jpg

Comments

• A good news story (well of sorts anyway) in what has been a couple of weeks of gloom and doom in the media in general.
  • precisely Soundas..
  • edited January 2009
    The pilot is , and this bloody word is said to often sometimes, an absolute and complete and utter F****** HERO

END OF
  • My boss, who is very afraid of flying, is supposed to be flying to NY tomorrow

I am giving him some grief today - if he turns up

he he he he
  • That's not nice.

I don't mind flying it's the landing I absoltue hate.
  • True meaning of the word hero

Quick thinking - and saved the lives of ALL his passengers and avoided major destruction of life and property on land in a crowded city.

Hero.
  • edited January 2009
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge[/cite]The pilot is , and this bloody word is said to often sometimes, an absolute and complete and utter F******HERO

END OF
    Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III, a former USAF pilot. What a brilliant name - the stuff of legends!
  • Apparently he walked the length of the plane to check everyone was off before exiting himself. What did occur to me was that he must have done a great job of the landing itself as you'd normally expect a number of injuries when a plane ditched like that. Sounds like everybody was able to get up and walk out.
  • [cite]Posted By: Big William[/cite]Apparently he walked the length of the plane to check everyone was off before exiting himself. What did occur to me was that he must have done a great job of the landing itself as you'd normally expect a number of injuries when a plane ditched like that. Sounds like everybody was able to get up and walk out.

Except the person who suffered 2 broken legs, but still an impressive achievement to ditch into water and not have a single life threatening injury or death.
  • Sponsored links:

• who's going to play the pilot in the film?

Fair play to the bloke.
  • Apparently you can see if from our NY office - and the apartment we have out there

My boss is shitting it royally now
  • Great story and what an amazing job that pilot did.

Still as this is the good old us of a, what's the betting the person with the broken legs sues him? :-)
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]who's going to play the pilot in the film?

Fair play to the bloke.

Rowan Atkinson?
  • [cite]Posted By: shirty5[/cite]who's going to play the pilot in the film?

Dr.%20Rumack.jpg

Well done to the pilot - brilliant
  • edited January 2009
    You beat me to it! I was just looking for a picture of Striker! Anyway as I've found it...

TedStriker-Pressure.jpg
  • You can imagine the co-pilot saying, "Surely you're not trying to land it on the Hudson River"
    "Yes, I am and don't call me Shirley"
  • I was on a plane at 40,000ft over the Rockies ast night watching it all unfold.........
  • [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I was on a plane at 40,000ft over the Rockies ast night watching it all unfold.........

And I thought it was just Millwall flying high .... ?

;o)
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Oakster[/cite]I was on a plane at 40,000ft over the Rockies ast night watching it all unfold.........

And I thought it was just Millwall flying high .... ?

;o)

Obviously watching it on TV - not peering into the distance..........
  • Sponsored links:

• Just don't call me Shirley
  • [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]Have always looked at that picture on the planes safety card, of it floating on the water, and thought "yeah right, like this huge thing is going to float!". Well, seeing that footage last night answered my question. Amazing job by the pilot... sounds like he would of been gliding over Manhattan - the outcome could have been so, so different...
    [/img]

Rest assured Medders, modern airliners are designed to float for up to ten minutes, cabin crews are trained to evacuate the plane in about three minutes. In an emergency a pilot will always try to ditch in water, if a big enough body of water is nearby, it actually increases the chances of survival of crew and passengers.
  • edited January 2009
    True - provided the fuel tanks aren't full. If they were, the plane would sink like a stone.
  • I believe that the engines nowadays are designed to rip off in a crash landing...on water anyway.
  • See what happens when you try to pick up a couple of American fat birds.