Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

So there will be some football on the tele this summer... Euro 96 on ITV

Comments

• Football’s coming home as the ITV Hub unearths Euro 96

With Euro 2020 postponed for twelve months, the ITV Hub has raided its archives to provide football fans with a slice of sports nostalgia as the platform unearths every match from Euro 96.

Airing from May, ITV Hub takes a trip down sporting memory lane and will air all 31 games from one of the most closely contested tournaments in recent history.

In addition, ITV4 will also play out the five games that featured the England football team in some of their most memorable head to heads, as well as the final between Germany and the Czech Republic.

Football fans will be able to relive the drama from the epic Summer of ’96, during which host nation England fought to bring the trophy back home, with a squad made up of sporting legends Alan Shearer, David Seaman, Paul Gascoigne, Sol Campbell and Teddy Sheringham.

1996 was the last time England reached the semifinals of the European Championships and remains fondly remembered thanks to Baddiel and Skinner and The Lightning Seeds’ chart-topping anthem Three Lions (Football’s Coming Home).

Paul Mortimer, Head of Digital Channels & Acquisitions, ITV said:

“Nothing brings the country together like Euro fever, and with this year’s tournament postponed to 2021, we’re giving our audience a chance to relive one of the all-time great sporting events, Euro ’96. Thanks to the ITV Hub and ITV4, there’ll be no shortage of vintage football classics for fans to indulge in over the next few months.”

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/footballs-coming-home-itv-hub-unearths-euro-96

• I was at that Germany game, never felt so gutted before or since. 
  • edited March 2020
    Stig said:
    Southgate better not fuck it up this time
    I'll bet you a tenner the stupid prick does! Just let somebody else take it this time.

In that Germany game, a bigger memory than the penalty miss was Gazza just not getting to a ball in time where any contact would have been the winner. Small margins.
  • If they're going to repeat games, it would be nice to see some earlier ones, I assume the BBC and ITV will have old FA Cup finals for example in their archive, it would be interesting to watch 70s matches in full to see how much the game has changed
  • He's Head of Digital Channels & Acquisitions for ITV now? Blimey.
  • If they're going to repeat games, it would be nice to see some earlier ones, I assume the BBC and ITV will have old FA Cup finals for example in their archive, it would be interesting to watch 70s matches in full to see how much the game has changed
    You will be so bored of the pass backs to the goalies 
  • I'll finally get to see the Netherlands game in full! I had a parents' evening that night, so missed it completely. Thought my Dad was winding me up when I phoned him to find out the score on the way home.
  • edited March 2020
    This is a great idea.
  • Sponsored links:

• Can they rerun Spain 82....some absolute classic games there involving Brazil 
  • No spoilers please.
  • Euro 96 wasn't actually the best tournament... *Dons a tin hat*

Obviously amazing for.us and captured the nation etc, but in retrospect....
  • The 4-1 v Netherlands though, that was one of the best England performances ever. Probably only bettered by the 5-1 in Germany (in my memory).
  • bobmunro said:
    Is re-running Euro 96 supposed to cheer us up?
    That semi final against Germany will cheer up most of Scotland.
  • Football’s coming home as the ITV Hub unearths Euro 96

With Euro 2020 postponed for twelve months, the ITV Hub has raided its archives to provide football fans with a slice of sports nostalgia as the platform unearths every match from Euro 96.

Airing from May, ITV Hub takes a trip down sporting memory lane and will air all 31 games from one of the most closely contested tournaments in recent history.

In addition, ITV4 will also play out the five games that featured the England football team in some of their most memorable head to heads, as well as the final between Germany and the Czech Republic.

Football fans will be able to relive the drama from the epic Summer of ’96, during which host nation England fought to bring the trophy back home, with a squad made up of sporting legends Alan Shearer, David Seaman, Paul Gascoigne, Sol Campbell and Teddy Sheringham.

1996 was the last time England reached the semifinals of the European Championships and remains fondly remembered thanks to Baddiel and Skinner and The Lightning Seeds’ chart-topping anthem Three Lions (Football’s Coming Home).

Paul Mortimer, Head of Digital Channels & Acquisitions, ITV said:

“Nothing brings the country together like Euro fever, and with this year’s tournament postponed to 2021, we’re giving our audience a chance to relive one of the all-time great sporting events, Euro ’96. Thanks to the ITV Hub and ITV4, there’ll be no shortage of vintage football classics for fans to indulge in over the next few months.”

https://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/footballs-coming-home-itv-hub-unearths-euro-96

Is there no end to the man's talents?
  • Scotland will be in a major tournament this summer!!! 
  • Stig said:
    Southgate better not fuck it up this time
    I'll bet you a tenner the stupid prick does! Just let somebody else take it this time.

In that Germany game, a bigger memory than the penalty miss was Gazza just not getting to a ball in time where any contact would have been the winner. Small margins.
    Same for me, that's my one main memory of that game.
  • I bet Darren Anderton manages to stay fit for this tournament. 
  • And you just know that The Sun and The Daily Mail will will have a pop at Raheem Sterling for something. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Euro 96 wasn't actually the best tournament... *Dons a tin hat*

Obviously amazing for.us and captured the nation etc, but in retrospect....
    Spot on, there were some terrible games including England’s opener v Switzerland, the final was awful too 
  • To get this right they have to show fantasy football every evening too.