Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton vets v Alma All-stars 1994

Which Alma pub? 

Sidcup would be the most obvious but lots of pubs named after this battle in the Crimean War.

Comments

• Colin Cameron was very much a regular in the Alma at that time with his crowd, wonder if that was the link?
  • Reaves, Kensey, Mick, Boweman??????
  • Tony Burman played for Charlton 
  • Pedro45 said:
    Reaves, Kensey, Mick, Boweman??????
    It was 1994, let it go 😉

Colin Cameron was very much a regular in the Alma at that time with his crowd, wonder if that was the link?
    Quite possibly.
  • edited April 2020
    Actually, this was probably more likely linked to Alma Swanley FC, which was a Kent League side and  folded around then and was previously known as Alma. They would have much more likely had an ‘all stars’ team.

Alma was the previous name for the Birchwood pub in Swanley that got knocked down in 2011, according to Wiki
  • There was also an Alma in Plumstead which has now closed.

The Alma Swanley makes sense although why play at Greenwich Borough?
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Tony Burman played for Charlton 
    There is also a Mick Kelly playing it may have been the one who played a few games for us.
  • Might not have had access to their old ground then if club had folded. 

@Davo55 brother played for Alma Swanley
  • its Alma Swanley Franny Fitzpatrick was once the manager of this team ....manger notes from charlton review tues 3rd May 1994.
  • its Alma Swanley Franny Fitzpatrick was once the manager of this team ....manger notes from charlton review tues 3rd May 1994.
    Cheer Colin, Do you have a photo of those notes?
  • Sponsored links:

I will take photo and get the other half to post up later this afternoon.

go safe.
    I will take photo and get the other half to post up later this afternoon.

go safe.
    You too mate.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    There is also a Mick Kelly playing it may have been the one who played a few games for us.
    Used to play against Micky Kelly on Sundays. Would've thought it was the same. May be wrong, but think he got the sack from us, due to an incident involving a knife.
  • Taxi_Lad said:
    Used to play against Micky Kelly on Sundays. Would've thought it was the same. May be wrong, but think he got the sack from us, due to an incident involving a knife.
    I played against him too in the Kent Suburban League
  • Just done a bit of digging (forgot how nice it isn’t to do non-work stuff!)

Fitzpatrick was the manager of a London Spartan team called Sangley Sports. good side for that level. In 1991 him and the players all moved lock stock into Alma Swanley, taking over that club.

When Alma folded a couple of years later, a few of those players carried on playing for Danson Furness, who shared Alma’s ground (and continued to play there for another few years becoming Swanley Furness). That club was an amalgamation of Furness FC and Danson (Bexley Borough), who originally played down at Crook Log.

The tangled web of non league clubs!
    Top research @AFKABartram
  • I played for JF mostly Charlton lads. Think MK played for a side by the pitches where the rugby pitch is by the black prince, they also had the Kyte lad who was a England/Charlton youth player.
  • above taken from Charlton Review 3rd May 1994
  • Sponsored links:

• above taken from Charlton Review 3rd May 1994
    Thanks, great sleuthing by Lifers to solve this riddle.
  • edited April 2020
    I played with Franny Fitzpatrick at Sangley Sports during the mid-eighties.
    Tough tackling midfielder who captained the side, he was a great motivator.
    His best man at his wedding was comedian/actor Gary Wilmot. 
  • Seeing Alma Swanley mentioned,brings back memories of my playing days.In the 70s I played for a team in the Dartford league called Pandarians,we were pretty dominant at the time,and often met Alma in the various cup competitions.If any of the premier league players think they have played in hostile atmosphere,they havent lived.Playing away to Alma at there Swanley ground was like entering a war zone.Continual abuse from the spectators,you were terrified of retrieving the ball for a throw in,as you knew you would be intimidated and often pushed or get a dig in the ribs.Great games though,I still miss those days even 45 years later.
  • Might not have had access to their old ground then if club had folded. 

@Davo55 brother played for Alma Swanley
    Correct. Also played for Greenwich Borough and Crockenhill at various times. 
  • Too many of the Charlton team would fail the height test. They also wouldn’t have understood how to play with the diamond. Easy win for Alma, I assume.
  • Pedro45 said:
    Reaves, Kensey, Mick, Boweman??????
    ect ect..