Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Good books about Charlton to read

Does anyone have any good suggestions regarding books involving Charlton to give a read?

Comments

• Bought The Charlton Men for my dad a few years ago but he wasn’t a massive fan of it, each to their own I guess
  • Both Gary Nelson books 
  • Battle For The Valley

(pint of bitter please @Airman Brown)
  • Curbs .. Valley of Dreams
  • The Charlton chapter in any edition of the Simon Inglis book about football grounds is excellent.
  • The Jimmy Seed Story. 
  • Curbs .. Valley of Dreams

This one, like Sir Lennie's effort was poor.

Nothing too controversial, perhaps the books matched their personalities.

However, the pair of them are Gods so I'll allow them this.
  • Keith Peacock's No Substitute 

@Airman Brown owes me a pint too  :)

Nothing controversial but a good read
  • Sponsored links:

• Welling to Wembley ... 1998.
  • Have a look at the 2 links below

https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/albums/72157642089145915
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/addicks7-6/albums/72157642091635193

These a the books I have amassed. Reminds me I have a few more which need to be added to the site, so keep an eye on it.
  • edited April 2020
    I like reading player autobiographies and my Kindle recently reduced the price of Paul Walsh's autobiography. It was worth £1.99 but I wouldn't pay anymore than that. 

Even the non Charlton bits of Theo Foley's book are  excellent as is Mark Bright's if you can get past the Palace love in. 

I purchased 'What's it all about Ralphie' for £2.99 and reviewed the Charlton content on a different thread. 

I also brought Eamon Dunphy's Rocky Road which contained a chapter about his time with us. I have previously posted that I didn't like his negative views on Charlton. It does seem perverse that he does not seem to celebrate his promotion with us as enthusiastically as his other promotions. However, he is even more negative about his Irish Cup win with Shamrock Rovers. As someone who is married to an Irish Woman I found his insights to Irish society interesting. 

Both Keith Gillespie and Leroy Rosenoir only allow one paragraph for their brief loan spells with us. Both are good books and worth buying as general football books but to save you the expense here are the extracts about us. 

Keith describes how Parky phoned him after he had 'enquiried about my whereabouts' and that 'the chance to get away for a month was a no brainer and I enjoyed my time there' and 'it went okay without being spectacular'. He appears to have wanted a permanent move but a back injury puts pay to it.

Leroy basically says that Curbs later informed him that he had wanted ' a bit of experience (on the cheap!)' although he credits the spell as his ' first taste of coaching' when he was asked to lead a drill Alan asked ' Leroy, can you just teach them how to pass the fucking ball?'. 
  • Matt Southall

'Cooking the books'
  • Richard J said:
    I like reading player autobiographies and my Kindle recently reduced the price of Paul Walsh's autobiography. It was worth £1.99 but I wouldn't pay anymore than that. 

Even the non Charlton bits of Theo Foley's book are  excellent as is Mark Bright's if you can get past the Palace love in. 

I purchased 'What's it all about Ralphie' for £2.99 and reviewed the Charlton content on a different thread. 

I also brought Eamon Dunphy's Rocky Road which contained a chapter about his time with us. I have previously posted that I didn't like his negative views on Charlton. It does seem perverse that he does not seem to celebrate his promotion with us as enthusiastically as his other promotions. However, he is even more negative about his Irish Cup win with Shamrock Rovers. As someone who is married to an Irish Woman I found his insights to Irish society interesting. 

Both Keith Gillespie and Leroy Rosenoir only allow one paragraph for their brief loan spells with us. Both are good books and worth buying as general football books but to save you the expense here are the extracts about us. 

Keith describes how Parky phoned him after he had 'enquiried about my whereabouts' and that 'the chance to get away for a month was a no brainer and I enjoyed my time there' and 'it went okay without being spectacular'. He appears to have wanted a permanent move but a back injury puts pay to it.

Leroy basically says that Curbs later informed him that he had wanted ' a bit of experience (on the cheap!)' although he credits the spell as his ' first taste of coaching' when he was asked to lead a drill Alan asked ' Leroy, can you just teach them how to pass the fucking ball?'. 
    Not a book but this thread reminded me many years ago hearing Jeff Wood slag off the club on a train. I was sitting on a seat behind his. I kept it to myself but he was going on about how we missed out on Alan Devonshire and how badly managed we were. I only got about 15 minutes worth when the train got into London Bridge. He never wrote a book, did he? 
  • Welling to Wembley ... 1998.
    And the sequel, published twelve months later called "...and back"