Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Beatles, RIP

Fifty years ago today, The Beatles split up.  Anyone remember the announcement?  Or, for those not old enough to remember, have you heard any of their music?  

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/09/shattered-paul-weller-booker-beatles-split-50-years-ago-fans

Comments

• edited April 2020
    I remember it well. I didn't need to be reminded that it was 50 years ago though. I suddenly feel older.
  • I think their first two records are shite, the following two aren't much better. Of course they were great in 63/64. My mum saw them at Wembley Area (Wembley Pool) for the 1964 NME Poll Winners Party.
  • Used to like the Beatles until I found out what an utter arsehole John Lennon was. Turned me on a sixpence, it did.
  • I’m not sure I actually remember it or think I remember it?

I was 16 at the time and we were about to emigrate to Australia, worse time of my life, as £10 Poms!

Definitely a Beatles fan and still am, great music still going strong.
  • edited April 2020
    Scouse chancers. 
    ;-) 
  • Sponsored links:

• The Beatles.....have split......up??? 😨😱🤯

• edited April 2020
    I remember being in Primary School when John was killed.
    The Head called a special assembly and actually cried on stage whilst announcing it. 
    None of us knew who he was even if we knew some of the lyrics to yellow submarine.....

Edit: I mean we didn’t know that John Lennon was in the band whose songs we kinda knew, not that we didn’t know who our own headmaster was, of course we knew that, he had really horrible long fingernails....
  • Christ!

Thought the virus had taken Macca and Ringo out!
  • Fumbluff said:
    I remember being in Primary School when John was killed. The Head called a special assembly and actually cried on stage whilst announcing it. 
    None of us knew who he was even if we knew some of the lyrics to yellow submarine.....

There are two celebrity deaths that had me in tears when I first heard. John Lennon was the first, I was 23 at the time and sobbed like a baby.

The second was waking up to the news of Muhammad Ali's passing, although that was to a great degree expected based on the news the previous day.
  • edited April 2020
    Christ!

You are not alone - that was my first thought when seeing the subject header.
  • Christ!

Same here!
  • Preferred the original artists they ripped off, The Rutles.

@UEAAddick prefers the Plastic Ono Band to the Beatles.

Can't think where he gets his contrary tastes.
  • Sponsored links:

• Preferred the original artists they ripped off, The Rutles.

@UEAAddick prefers the Plastic Ono Band to the Beatles.

Can't think where he gets his contrary tastes.
    Facts.
  • love the Beatles, grew up listening to them
  • They finish a very, very close second to The Who as my favourite band.

Have seen Paul McCartney in concert a few times and to see him sing Beatles tracks is very special.
  • bobmunro said:
    I'm far too young - never heard of them.

Were they a popular music ensemble?
    a well known beat combo from somewhere up north ((:>)
  • Used to like the Beatles until I found out what an utter arsehole John Lennon was. Turned me on a sixpence, it did.

Yes John never liked Millwall

I'm surprised really, considering what a monumental bully he was ;)
  • I don’t believe there is a person on earth with access to any kind of music listening technology that hasn’t heard at least a bar of a Beatles song 
    Love this clip.   :D

https://youtu.be/5VgRuLQgeSE
    I enjoyed that film - but couldn't help but think of Russell Brand every time the lead actor spoke!
  • edited April 2020
    iainment said:
    I remember it well. I didn't need to be reminded that it was 50 years ago though. I suddenly feel older.
    Are you 64?
    IQ - yes. Age - No.
  • most of their stuff is better than the majority of music being written today .. classics will always stand the test of time .. look at the popularity of Mozart, Beethoven, Brahms and Lizst ((:>)
  • At the time, this event had almost no impact on me.  Back then, I listened to an entirely different kind of music.  I was a bloke and The Beatles were a band that 11-year old girls screamed at rather than actually listened to.  Did they play on a roof somewhere or was that a different thing altogether?  

Of course, now, I can see that they wrote some quite pleasant ditties and actually have most of their albums.