Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

George Best : All by Himself Tonight BBC4 9pm

Film/documentary about his life made 2016.

Comments

• Thanks for posting CE.  I'll be watching.
  • Sounds good
  • Tis a cracking documentary...
  • edited April 2020
    Just watching it now, brilliant stuff. I didn’t realise how quickly United declined after winning the European Cup, kinda like for Busby & Bobby Charlton it was the ending of an era and some sort of closing of the chapter that began with Munich but Best was just at the start of his career - must have been very frustrating for him. 

One thing I’m noticing, they referred to him as Irish and I noted in a match he was playing against Scotland, they called Northern Ireland “Ireland” on the scoreboard. Was that normal then? How did they distinguish between NI & the Republic? 
  • The Republic used to be referred to as Eire when I was a kid.
  • se9addick said:
    Just watching it now, brilliant stuff. I didn’t realise how quickly United declined after winning the European Cup, kinda like for Busby & Bobby Charlton it was the ending of an era and some sort of closing of the chapter that began with Munich but Best was just at the start of his career - must have been very frustrating for him. 

One thing I’m noticing, they referred to him as Irish and I noted in a match he was playing against Scotland, they called Northern Ireland “Ireland” on the scoreboard. Was that normal then? How did they distinguish between NI & the Republic? 
    The Republic wore green shirts.
  • edited April 2020
    se9addick said:

The Republic wore green shirts.
    I’ll say it, The Republicans worn Balaclavas.
  • A very good film and a very sad one. 

I watched the BT Sports film ‘Too Good To Go Down’ last week, which also featured Best’s problems and his repeated ‘no shows’. It covers United’s demise after their European Cup win, their eventual relegation and their subsequent revival under Tommy Docherty (until he was sacked for having it away with the club physio’s wife). Wilf McGuiness and Frank O’Failure found it impossible to follow Matt Busby, just as Moyes, Van Gaal and Solskjær have with Ferguson and, indeed, Dowie, Reed, Pardew and Parky found with Curbs.