Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

RIP

As an atheist RIP means little to me.
I find myself responding to RIP threads with my feelings but as I believe once you’re gone that’s it, so no sympathy for the dead but empathy, I hope, for those close to the deceased.

Comments

• someone’s been on the holy water
  • Did you hear the fella who invented velcrow has died
  • Bet you're fun at a funeral.
    What does that actually mean? I’ve been at funerals that have been celebratory and those that have been contemplative. At all I have behaved appropriately. I have never tried to be “fun”. I have though tried to be supportive of the bereaved.
  • My dad, who was an atheist as am I, said it stood for Return If Possible.  

I prefer the Jewish greetings at funerals of Long Life and May their memory be a blessing but each to their own.

RIP is a neat shorthand and I'm happy to use it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Surely it is an atheist type of saying ‘ rest in piece’. As opposed to ‘live it up in heaven’ 
  • T_C_E said:
    Rest in Peace, as free from any pain or suffering is my interpretation and has no religious connotations when I use it. 
    Exactly as I understand it
  • Happy Friday everyone.
  • T_C_E said:
    Rest in Peace, as free from any pain or suffering is my interpretation and has no religious connotations when I use it. 
    And me! 
  • MrOneLung said:
    Surely it is an atheist type of saying ‘ rest in piece’. As opposed to ‘live it up in heaven’ 
    Piece?
  • T_C_E said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    T_C_E said:
    And me! 
    “Bless you my children” 🙏

I prefer the Jewish greetings at funerals of Long Life and May their memory be a blessing but each to their own.

I like May their memory be a blessing.
  • I’m not sure what RIP has to do with religion. Weird post 
  • iainment said:
    As an atheist RIP means little to me.
    I find myself responding to RIP threads with my feelings but as I believe once you’re gone that’s it, so no sympathy for the dead but empathy, I hope, for those close to the deceased.
    Thanks for sharing that.

Do you buy/receive Christmas presents? Or have you ever eaten an Easter Egg?

I ask because although some things may have their origins in religion - and may still be seen as wholly religious by many - for others there are no religious connotations at all. 

I don't consider myself religious at all, but I still buy my kids presents at Christmas time because for me it is a family occasion and tradition rather than a religious homage.

• Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Surely it is an atheist type of saying ‘ rest in piece’. As opposed to ‘live it up in heaven’ 
    Piece?
    Not sure what happened there !

• Rest in peace (RIP) is in no way a religious expression.

I don’t personally use it as it seems a bit short of me expressing my feelings. 

If it’s someone I know or care about, I’ll say why, for me, their death matters. If I don’t know them personally or, to use an example, the death of David Bowie, which I did care about, then I will not comment,

Each to their own. 

An RIP is a mark of respect no matter how strong. To suggest it is religious was a mistake  I think from @iainment, but I do agree that it can be overused which I think was what he was trying to say.

Funny old world.

Yes.... but actually, us Jews are much more clerical than individual or spiritual.
    The use the word 'died' is not tidy enough and shock horror may imply shared destiny with the rest of humanity let alone the living world.
    We use the Hebrew word 'Niftar' meaning: 'exempted', been 'let off'...
    The idea is that now the lucky sod is no longer required  to perform the deeds that makes him a good Jew (all 513 of them so it's a bit of a score...) and could be filed away properly 

So the rest of you lot are all going to die !!!

I'm getting a note from the Rabi

• edited May 2020
    Great point iaintment i will take it on  board, God bless you.
  • edited May 2020
    JaShea99 said:
    MrOneLung said:
    Piece?
    Only applies if you have been hung, drawn & quartered.