Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Strava

Is it worth paying for the Premium Strava service?
I cycle mainly for commuting and leisure. Nothing competitive.
I use the free Strava and sometimes wonder what the extras are and then whether they’re worth paying for.

Comments

• Good questions. I also use the free Strava and get frustrated at the inability to correct errors. Before I had my Android phone I had a crappy Microsoft/Nokia, but there was a free tracking app on there that (for me at least) produced seemingly errorless results.  Strava's maps nearly always have spikes coming off of them.  

I don't use it so much to keep a track of my walks, though I do did for some longer ones. I use it in conjunction with PhotoLinker to geotag my photos. 

Have been seriously considering trying other apps instead.
  • I'm grandfathered in on the old Premium, and not on the new summit service, I think summit is confusing, and wouldn't give up Premium. 

Use Strava as a place to put stuff, I use Workouts on Apple Watch as it's a better experience on the device, and then Strava now can pull all the info out of there into the app. 
  • Nah not worth it in my opinion if you're just commuting and cycling for leisure. The free app has pretty much everything you need for that.   

Its perhaps worth it if you care about training plans, power goals and like to keep track of your training in general. 

I will say my experience with it is on the computer and using it as a place to log my training (or lack of) from my Garmin, so I can't comment on the apps ability to record actual activities as I've never used it for that. 

P.s hope ya managed to get ya bike serviced @iainment

• Nah not worth it in my opinion if you're just commuting and cycling for leisure. The free app has pretty much everything you need for that.   

Its perhaps worth it if you care about training plans, power goals and like to keep track of your training in general. 

I will say my experience with it is on the computer and using it as a place to log my training (or lack of) from my Garmin, so I can't comment on the apps ability to record actual activities as I've never used it for that. 

P.s hope ya managed to get ya bike serviced @iainment

Coincidentally I dropped my Tour de Fer  off today to get serviced. Will get the Sirrus serviced next week.

Thanks all for your Strava comments. I think I’ll stick with the free service.
  • And now Strava has changed what is free and what is not. So several features I like are now at a cost!
    The annual fee is not that bad so I guess I’ll subscribe.
  • I must admit I prefer MapMyRide
  • Think Strava have a desire to stay independent, and don’t have the financial backing of Adidas, Nike and Under Armour to stay free.
  • I use Strava a lot, and it is certainly one part of what keeps me motivated to cycle/makes me feel sad that I am distinctly average at it. Didn't have the premium service, but have paid for it since the announcement.

For me I feel its worth the relatively small outlay in cost for the amount of use I get out of it. 
  • iainment said:
    And now Strava has changed what is free and what is not. So several features I like are now at a cost!
    The annual fee is not that bad so I guess I’ll subscribe.
    That's really frustrating
  • Sponsored links:

• I pay for strava, simply as a way to keep the service going. I have no idea how much money they make but the fact that I've used it for years means I'd like to keep using it (mainly as a repository of all my rides) so don't mind giving them £50 a year (or whatever it is) to ensure that there is a business there.
  • Haven't used Strava/Fitbit etc, but wondering if anyone knows - as well as mapping your runs, can you work towards a virtual run?  e.g.  working towards a marathon, or 100 miles, or Lands End to John O'Groats etc etc 
  • Monthly challenges, and you can put targets in for distance. Think there are better pure training apps, but as a source of all data, it’s the best 
  • Haven't used Strava/Fitbit etc, but wondering if anyone knows - as well as mapping your runs, can you work towards a virtual run?  e.g.  working towards a marathon, or 100 miles, or Lands End to John O'Groats etc etc 
    I've not done it myself you can download your Strava files and put them in to Excel (or pretty much anything for organising data/text). You might want something easier but as far as I know Strava's interface counters reset each month so it's hard to track anything that isn't confined to that period.