Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Surrey all out for 14

Does anyone remember this?  It happened on 30 May 1983 at Chelmsford.  Surrey had to follow on and eventually drew the game.  But there were seven ducks that day.  Pat Pocock was 0 not out at the end of the innings and journalists asked him what was his secret.  The seven ducks were all presented with ties depicting 7 ducks and Mickey Stewart the Manager forbade them to wear them ((which they did anyway).

My ears pricked up when I heard this in one of those “this year in history” segments.  As an enthusiastic Surrey follower in the days of the Bedser twins, Peter May etc I was more than interested even though I hadn’t been to a county match in many a long year.

Comments

• No, but I remember a game being called off for snow in June which is pretty mad when you think of weather we have had already this year and it isn't even June yet
  • I remember it being in the papers.
  • remember it well, though I wasn't there. As a Surrey member working with many Essex cricket fans I wasnt allowed to forget about it.

• I remember hearing that one of the Surrey players came out still with shampoo in their hair
  • Does anyone remember this?  It happened on 30 May 1983 at Chelmsford.  Surrey had to follow on and eventually drew the game.  But there were seven ducks that day.  Pat Pocock was 0 not out at the end of the innings and journalists asked him what was his secret.  The seven ducks were all presented with ties depicting 7 ducks and Mickey Stewart the Manager forbade them to wear them ((which they did anyway).

My ears pricked up when I heard this in one of those “this year in history” segments.  As an enthusiastic Surrey follower in the days of the Bedser twins, Peter May etc I was more than interested even though I hadn’t been to a county match in many a long year.
    A very sad day.

The like needs to be removed as well.
  • I was at Chelmsford in the mid 90's for a Sunday League game.

Essex needed 6 in the last over with 3 wickets left.  Super Martin Bicknell took 3 wickets to leave me and my mate dancing and hugging each orher.

Come on the 'rey!
  • Does anyone remember this?  It happened on 30 May 1983 at Chelmsford.  Surrey had to follow on and eventually drew the game.  But there were seven ducks that day.  Pat Pocock was 0 not out at the end of the innings and journalists asked him what was his secret.  The seven ducks were all presented with ties depicting 7 ducks and Mickey Stewart the Manager forbade them to wear them ((which they did anyway).

A very sad day.

The like needs to be removed as well.
    Liked the original post just for you.

As a lad that got into cricket in the mid to late 80s I quickly became accustomed to an England collapse. It still feels like a dream when we run through decent opposition's batting line up.
  • Fake news 
  • Top scorer was Grahame Clinton with 6. He was in the 6th form at Chis & Sid when I was in the first year and on several occasions threatened to give me a detention but never actually did. To this day has the reputation of being a bit of a miserable so and so but I'm sure there's a sense of humour underneath it all. I played with and/or against his two brothers, Tony and Neil, too.

During his career Grahame held the record of having visited hospitals in 15 of the then 17 first class counties (Durham were not one at that time). Hard as nails on the outside but fingers made of biscuits by all accounts!
  • Sponsored links:

• No, but I remember a game being called off for snow in June which is pretty mad when you think of weather we have had already this year and it isn't even June yet
    When I lived in Scotland we had snow in June one year around the mid 80's. The Pass of Drumochter (A9 Perth to Inverness road) was closed for a couple of days.
  • I have always found watching cricket more enjoyable than football.
  • https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/65775035

BBC article on this, to celebrate the 40th anniversary!
  • All out for 14 in the first innings  .

Still managed to draw the match.

Come on the Rey.

Come on the Rey.
    Around '95 we went to Chelmsford for a one day Sunday League game, they had 3 wickets left and needed 6 from the last over.  Martin Bicknell rolled them over, we were jumping and down like maniacs. A great day.

Come on the Rey.
    Around '95 we went to Chelmsford for a one day Sunday League game, they had 3 wickets left and needed 6 from the last over.  Martin Bicknell rolled them over, we were jumping and down like maniacs. A great day.
    what a bowler he was.

Come on the Rey.
    what a bowler he was.
    Oh yes, his brother could bat a bit as well.

Come on the Rey.
    what a bowler he was.
    I've batted against him and can confirm he was indeed a good bowler.

Having said that I scored 11.
  • I always thought you batted for the wrong side.