Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

A hilarious day with Big Ron

I didn't write this one, but I was there. Still hard to believe we took Ron out to the pub and went back to his for vodka and cheesy mash: https://deserter.co.uk/2020/05/my-day-with-big-ron/

Comments

• What a great read! 
  • Great read
  • That's a great story 
  • edited June 2020
    lolwray said:
    That's a great story 
    You should read Today South London Tomorrow South London by Deserter.....about a pub crawl (over several days), with some crazy and bizarre friends and acquaintances around the South Circular.
  • brilliant - loved big ron - such a shame he put his foot in it 
  • Quality article, bet that was a great day out.
  • Vincenzo said:
    I didn't write this one, but I was there. Still hard to believe we took Ron out to the pub and went back to his for vodka and cheesy mash: https://deserter.co.uk/2020/05/my-day-with-big-ron/
    Who are you in this story @Vincenzo ?
  • Ha ha. 

I'm Dirty South in the story - and the book.

I wrote the Big Ron columns for Bravo in 98 and then the TV shorts. Sadly, none of them exist anymore. Sky bought Bravo and closed it down. Shame. We had a right laugh filming with him at the derelict St Pancras Hotel and IMAX at Waterloo. There's no doubt he was a bit racist, reminding me of my dad and many of his generation, but he was also warm and funny and would talk to anyone, endlessly, about football. 

Ron was a big fan of Curbs, though when I mentioned this to Curbs, he looked at me with a bit of suspicion, I thought. Mind you, we were in the bogs at the time.

He agreed Chrissy Powell was a good signing for us but just felt he lacked a final ball, as I recall. 
  • Just revised my opinion of Big Ron. He was a man of his times.
  • Sponsored links:

• He epitomises what football should be about for me - a bit of entertainment - no more s racist than anybody else but as has been said, a man of his time - had a pet cockateel back in the mid 90 s called Big Ron 
  • DOUCHER said:
    He epitomises what football should be about for me - a bit of entertainment - no more s racist than anybody else but as has been said, a man of his time - had a pet cockateel back in the mid 90 s called Big Ron 
    How original.....he must have spent many an hour thinking that name up.
  • What a fun read. As I recall, one of Big Ron’s favourite footy expressions was the ‘early reducer’.

No wonder he’s revered at West Brom - that team of the late 70s was mustard. I remember seeing them dismantling Arsenal one Boxing Day at Highbury.
  • 'Really give it some Humpty' will stay with me for a while
  • Woke up in the middle of the night last night when the sun rose and could not get back to sleep. For some reason found myself reading that blog and quickly laughed myself back to sleep, priceless!
  • edited June 2020
    DOUCHER said:
    He epitomises what football should be about for me - a bit of entertainment - no more s racist than anybody else but as has been said, a man of his time - had a pet cockateel back in the mid 90 s called Big Ron 
    How original.....he must have spent many an hour thinking that name up.
    I had the big ron cockateel not him 
  • The ronglish website is well worth a look - the lollipop, amusement arcade and the full gun particular favourites - replacing big Ron with Brian little - crazy !!! When big  ron replaced the dour  vengloss he told the press they could call him any time for a quote - just not on a Friday at 9 coz he’d be watching the sweeney !!!