Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Number of Substitues Allowed for Final Games

It's been announced that the number of subs allowed to actually come on and play in the final premier league games has been increased to five !!
Any information if that has been copied by the EFL for the final games ?

Comments

• edited June 2020

https://www.efl.com/news/2020/may/efl-statement-coronvirus-update-championship/

After discussing various approaches, and, the importance of completing the season in a similar timeline to that of the Premier League to avoid any potential issues with promoted and relegated Clubs, the Sky Bet Championship season is set to conclude with the Championship Play-Off Final on or around 30 July 2020.  Final details are still to be confirmed following further discussions with the League’s Broadcast partner, Sky Sports.

During the weekend’s discussions it was further agreed to consider changing Regulations to permit the use of five substitutes in the remaining fixtures and, also increasing the matchday squad from 18 to 20 players. Discussions will continue with Championship Clubs in this respect.

Sounds like it's not quite set in stone, but I'd expect it to happen.

• ^^^ thanks
  • the decision on the number of subs will be very important .. say a team has used three subs and then scores with 5 mins to go .. they then withdraw two attackers and send on two defenders to shore up the defence .. or conversely, 1 nil down with little time left, pull defenders and send on attackers .. get more like US sports or rugby IF this becomes standard .. not for me, it could potentially change the whole structure of football
  • the decision on the number of subs will be very important .. say a team has used three subs and then scores with 5 mins to go .. they then withdraw two attackers and send on two defenders to shore up the defence .. or conversely, 1 nil down with little time left, pull defenders and send on attackers .. get more like US sports or rugby IF this becomes standard .. not for me, it could potentially change the whole structure of football
    Don’t really see the comparison with other sports, they generally have rotating subs which is a far bigger difference than adding a couple of extra subs for a couple of months in football.
  • edited June 2020
    se9addick said:
    the decision on the number of subs will be very important .. say a team has used three subs and then scores with 5 mins to go .. they then withdraw two attackers and send on two defenders to shore up the defence .. or conversely, 1 nil down with little time left, pull defenders and send on attackers .. get more like US sports or rugby IF this becomes standard .. not for me, it could potentially change the whole structure of football
    Don’t really see the comparison with other sports, they generally have rotating subs which is a far bigger difference than adding a couple of extra subs for a couple of months in football.
    rugby union .. complicated rules but basically if a player is subbed off, he can't return unless he is in a critical position, usually prop forward .. interesting that you have no comments about the potential effect on the game even if only for 'a couple of months'
    One thing to note is the fact that only three stoppages can be made during the game still

So on two occasions at least two changes need to be made or the team can make two changes at half time... a team cant just use them to waste even more time 

But get your point about bringing on two extra defenders to shore up a game... Reckon we'll see that a lot
  • se9addick said:
    the decision on the number of subs will be very important .. say a team has used three subs and then scores with 5 mins to go .. they then withdraw two attackers and send on two defenders to shore up the defence .. or conversely, 1 nil down with little time left, pull defenders and send on attackers .. get more like US sports or rugby IF this becomes standard .. not for me, it could potentially change the whole structure of football
    rugby union .. complicate rules but basically if a player is subbed off, he can't return unless he is in a critical position, usually prop forward .. interesting that you have no comments about the potential effect on the game even if only for 'a couple of months'
    Sorry, wasn’t aware that I was expected to provide a comprehensive analysis of the hypothetical impact on the game. In summary, I think it will be fine, although it will disadvantage teams with smaller squads.
    One thing to note is the fact that only three stoppages can be made during the game still

So on two occasions at least two changes need to be made or the team can make two changes at half time... a team cant just use them to waste even more time 

But get your point about bringing on two extra defenders to shore up a game... Reckon we'll see that a lot
    I didn't know about the three stoppage rule .. that makes potential tactics and the use of subs even more critical .. I suspect that the 5 sub rule could well be used during games and tournaments in hot countries, e.g Qatar
  • iainment said:
    So there are different rules for the resumption. Can’t see how that is consistent with the integrity of the competition. 
    It’s an extra couple of subs, not like you get 2 goals if you score from outside of the box. 
  • Sponsored links:

• iainment said:
    So there are different rules for the resumption. Can’t see how that is consistent with the integrity of the competition. 
    exactly
  • iainment said:
    It’s an extra couple of subs, not like you get 2 goals if you score from outside of the box. 
    Two extra subs could have changed the entire outcome of a game thats been previously played though

Like Lincs says, Fulham when they came to the Valley would have needed a goal so towards the end could have brought two attacking players on instead of just the one to put us under even much pressure

What if Leeds need to beat us (with Fulham winning) to take second spot back, 10-mins to go, have made three subs, they can bring on two more players to increase their chances of a win that Fulham never had
  • iainment said:
    But the extra subs make a difference. We might have gained points if it were allowed during the whole season and not be in the relegation group of clubs. 
  • The extra subs thing makes sense from a fitness perspective but it's just another way in which this situation is screwing clubs like us. There were times this season when we could barely make up a senior 11 let alone fill a proper bench, but in the FA Cup West Brom managed to put an entire second team out against us made up of former Premier League players and decent reserves. Our rotated team had a combined age of about 14, and most of that was Solly. Clubs with bigger squads will benefit from this in a way they didn't earlier in the season and it's another inconsistency with the resumption of the league. Whoever goes down is going to be rightly fuming at the way the end of this season has been handled.
  • iainment said:
    Two extra subs could have changed the entire outcome of a game thats been previously played though

Like Lincs says, Fulham when they came to the Valley would have needed a goal so towards the end could have brought two attacking players on instead of just the one to put us under even much pressure

What if Leeds need to beat us (with Fulham winning) to take second spot back, 10-mins to go, have made three subs, they can bring on two more players to increase their chances of a win that Fulham never had
    Or the extra attacking players mean we catch them on the break (doubtful I know) and Fulham get promoted. 

I don’t see a big deal with it all. Ideally I wouldn’t want the rules to change, but I don’t see how it’s ruining the integrity. 
  • Good for teams who use the "press"?

Three attacking / midfield players maintain high energy levels throughout first half and then are replaced at half time.

Liverpool and Man City should be able to have the opposition defense booting the ball away for the whole game.

• Let's try it without substitutes,  less risk of infection spreading. Just watching a great game on telly that had no substitutes.
  • msomerton said:
    Let's try it without substitutes,  less risk of infection spreading. Just watching a great game on telly that had no substitutes.
    Wouldn’t have gone to extra time if we had brought on Jimmy Greaves 😉