Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

1966 WC Final Eng v WG C4 1.30-4.40 today

Comments

• edited June 2020
    A must watch! I was 15 years old at the time home alone, my parents both at work. I was unashamedly a blubbering wreck both during the game and at the final whistle. It is being shown in black and white as only the highlights will be in colour which will also be shown alongside. You probably all know the score and the twists and turns no matter your age but no more spoilers from me, tune in sit back and enjoy one of our greatest sporting achievements from start to finish.

England Team (ingrained in my memory);

Banks

Cohen, Charlton J, Moore (Capt), Wilson

Ball, Stiles, Peters

Hunt, Hurst, Charlton R.
  • I was 9 at the time and it is still as vivid now as it was then.
    Gorgeous sunny day, all the windows open and not a soul on the streets. All you could hear was the television commentary blasting out of every house.
    Magical.
  • I was in the merchant navy on a ship in Mombasa listening to the BBC world service with poor reception 
  • No spoilers please.
  • Anyone had got any match odds for this
  • edited June 2020
    No spoilers please.
    I think everyone knows whats gonna happen.

I mean lets face it, its England we always screw up good opportunities in major competitions, especially against the Germans

We all know we are gonna lose on penalties so why bother
  • Anyone had got any match odds for this

What price do you want for England?*

*90 minutes play
  • Interesting how the players don't hassle the ref, pity it's not like that now
  • I was at home with all the family watching the game through the blue haze all living rooms seemed to have hanging in the air in those days, just one of those great family moments, I was just 9 years old then.
  • Sponsored links:

• This coverage is really annoying.

It's as if they think we can't watch a game without modern punditry.

And if we must have them talking we don't need to see them.

And stop telling us a goal is about to be scored. We all know the result but let us watch it play out.
    I hate this thing that they are doing during lockdown with having a "watch-along". Not only do they talk over the iconic moments there is the very annoying time lags & norman collier sound effects.
  • This coverage is really annoying.

It's as if they think we can't watch a game without modern punditry.

And if we must have them talking we don't need to see them.

And stop telling us a goal is about to be scored. We all know the result but let us watch it play out.
    I'm glad you said what I was thinking.
  • bollocks. thought we had that won then they equalise in the last minute. why are we always shit in tournaments?
  • a great game to watch spoilt by the presenter and producers 
  • Yes,  I was looking forward to it.  Ended up switching over once I realised the format of the programme.  
  • The memories of Geoff Hurst and others actually involved in the tournament were interesting but I don't know what the Mumford and Sons bloke and Jo Brand amongst others of that ilk were there for.
  • edited June 2020
    Enjoyed watching the football and reliving the memories, the less said about the rest of the production the better. Still the mute button on the remote got a good workout 😏.
  • LenGlover said:
    The memories of Geoff Hurst and others actually involved in the tournament were interesting but I don't know what the Mumford and Sons bloke and Jo Brand amongst others of that ilk were there for.

Marcus Mumford was a genuinely odd choice. At least Jo Brand watched it at the time so had a story to tell
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2020
    bobmunro said:
    I was 9 at the time and it is still as vivid now as it was then.
    Gorgeous sunny day, all the windows open and not a soul on the streets. All you could hear was the television commentary blasting out of every house.
    Magical.
    I was 9 too. JS had died on the day of the Mexico game, and I watched the final on the TV in the sitting room, with his widow and her two sisters (who were still wearing black) and my mum and my sister (whose 'boyfriend' had gone to the match).
    I spent some of the game in a den in the garden because I couldn't bear to watch.
    I remember the German equaliser the most clearly, as I was virtually touching the screen when it went in.
    A couple of hours after the game the 'boyfriend' turned up and gave me his programme, which I still have.

Found the guests annoying, as I just wanted to watch the whole game again with the original commentary. They could have had the guests on after the match, which would have been fine.
    Sir Alf simply wouldn’t stand for it, not for one single moment.
    Bless his cotton socks.
  • Turned it off about 15 mins into the match coverage. I simply wanted to watch the match! Very annoying.
  • Did the ball cross the line this time?
  • Stig said:
    Did the ball cross the line this time?
    We were talking to Jo Brand at the time ;)
  • Pity could and should have been so much better, some weird guests and ruined by Logan.
  • It's the first time I've watched the game in 30 odd years, maybe more.
    The quality of the football is astounding from both teams, far higher than I remembered. The system revolutionary, Sir Alf was certainly his own man.
    Stand outs were Alan Ball, energy and skill beyond belief, and of course the greatest Englishman ever to play football, Bobby Moore. Just before the presentation I said to my missus "watch what a gentleman he is, he wipes his hands before shaking hands with the Queen". I then started shouting and swearing at the screen, venting my anger (shared by many) that our greatest ever footballer was never knighted.
    my thoughts exactly, no feigning injury, rolling around in agony trying to get players booked (except Emmerich lol) great sportsmanship und ve beat ze Chermans ((:>)
    my thoughts exactly, no feigning injury, rolling around in agony trying to get players booked (except Emmerich lol) great sportsmanship und ve beat ze Chermans ((:>)

It was such an open game with hardly any tackles that you would call hard. Even Nobby could hardly be described as dirty in that game (he was capable of having his moments playing for Man U though!).
    I had really forgotten what an incredibly good game of football it was.
  • My Dad bought us tickets for ALL of the England games! The deal was I would(age15) paint the outside of the house at Easter. It was very cold and I was unsure it was a good deal at that stage. On a torrid July day at the final, I decided it was. He was a great believer in Ramsay. Surprisingly many Fleet Street journalist were not.