Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Do they (Clubs and EFL) really care about the Fans?

I have just seen the Millwall game against Boro will take place at 3pm nothing strange about that other than it being on a Wednesday.

i understand it’s to help Boro because of the travel but how many times have we as fans had kick offs where we couldn’t get there by public transport (Sheff Utd) and no consideration has been given to us. 

I expect there will be people who don’t care as it’s Millwall but they will have fans who will be at work and if it was us there would be an Outcry from those impacted myself included. 

To me it’s a total disregard to the fans who spend hundreds of pounds and many hours following their club around England. 

Comments

• I think we know the answer about the EFL caring about fans already....
  • edited June 2020
    I would imagine lots of people in football will care about fans, but the interests of fans are one of a number of interests that they need to balance. Kick off times are a good example, Sky pay a pretty penny to broadcast matches and letting them move the time/date of three or four matches a week out of 60 or so in the EFL seems like a fair deal*. There will, of course, be a lot of people who really couldn’t care less what the fans think or want.

*I’m aware this will be an unpopular opinion because everything about modern football is rubbish and it was better in the 1890’s when the players worked down the mines with the fans and we all died together as soon as we hit our 24th birthday.
  • se9addick said:
    I would imagine lots of people in football will care about fans, but the interests of fans are one of a number of interests that they need to balance. Kick off times are a good example, Sky pay a pretty penny to broadcast matches and letting them move the time/date of three or four matches a week out of 60 or so in the EFL seems like a fair deal*. There will, of course, be a lot of people who really couldn’t care less what the fans think or want.

Fully understand your point about Sky and this is unfortunately something we had to deal with  when we had that run of Saturday lunchtime games.  Difference is this is at the weekend and outside of the traditionally acknowledged work hours of 9-5. 

A 3pm midweek for a game that won’t be on Sky  seems unfair especially as the Millwall season tickets holders have paid for that game and may have to take unpaid leave if they want to watch it. 

• se9addick said:

Fully understand your point about Sky and this is unfortunately something we had to deal with  when we had that run of Saturday lunchtime games.  Difference is this is at the weekend and outside of the traditionally acknowledged work hours of 9-5. 

A 3pm midweek for a game that won’t be on Sky  seems unfair especially as the Millwall season tickets holders have paid for that game and may have to take unpaid leave if they want to watch it. 

Ah right, well I guess for this specific example the impact of a global pandemic adds an additional consideration that needs to be balanced against fans interests. 
  • Why not make it at 5:30pm ? Personally I don’t want Boro having any advantage of rest as they are one of our relegation rivals.I would much prefer them having to get in at 3am as they would if it was a ‘normal’ midweek fixture. 
    I agree it is totally unchartered times Due to the pandemic but Hopefully we are in the process of trying to get back to Some sort of normalIty and if we meet the  government targets it’s possible Some pubs, hotels etc could be open by then. Albeit with social distancing in place. 
    Maybe I expect too much and fourteen weeks indoors With no Charlton to watch is beginning to take its toll! 
  • se9addick said:

*I’m aware this will be an unpopular opinion because everything about modern football is rubbish and it was better in the 1890’s when the players worked down the mines with the fans and we all died together as soon as we hit our 24th birthday.
    Sky are not broadcasting the game, and the OP never suggested that everything about modern football is rubbish.*

*Other than that - spot on.    
  • A bit odd that one match being moved, as Bristol vs Hull that same day in a normal 7:45 kickoff

And the Boro players leaving The Den at say 5:30pm on a weekday is hardly ideal, even with the reduced traffic
  • I wonder if M/boro are flying down into City Airport, and the KO time may have something to do with landing slots avaliable.