Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

One for Oggy Red

edited January 2009 in General Charlton
Hey Bob you still playing ?

Comments

• Packed in playing East Cornwall League div 1, 3 seasons ago now - I'd reached my sell-by date, lol

Still playing a bit of 5-a-side through work conections once a month, plus we have some savage 'friendly' kick abouts down the local park, but that's all.

Plus a couple of matches for Charlton Life, this season. :o)
  • Anyway, who you....?

Expose yourself .....!!

:o)
  • Give you a clue , Union 97FC , opening game at the Meridian. Westwood School ,Coats for goals Falconwood fields

Last saw you at Bristol Rovers away Mid 80's Pardew scored 2
  • [cite]Posted By: Nelsenout[/cite]Give you a clue , Union 97FC , opening game at the Meridian. Westwood School ,Coats for goals Falconwood fields

Last saw you at Bristol Rovers away Mid 80's Pardew scored 2

Hey, Toddy you old bugger, how you doing?

Twerton Park 1992, was it, slaughtering Bristol Rovers 2-0? lol

Love your User name, Nelsen out (sp) .... reminds me of the time I couldn't stomach Andy Nelson anymore - and boycotted 10 matches, until Mike Bailey was put in charge.

Too late, of course, still got relegated but what a season the next year. Were you up at Carlisle seeing us clinch promotion in 1981?

Meridian, Woolwich & District League days. I'd just signed for Union from LAC Rovers. Remember that piss up football trip to Amsterdam?, Remember playing when we drew 2-2 over there. Still got some photo's somewhere.What you up to?
  • Carlisle Yeah Tansit with Jimmy Goodrich and some other suspects from Welling/Eltham. ended up in Blackpool .
    Yeah Amsterdam forgot that, must've been 78 .(I still remember missing the penalty !!)

Save boring these fine folks give me a mail on rockin790cc@hotmail.co.uk and well catch up
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Love your User name, Nelsen out (sp) .... reminds me of the time I couldn't stomach Andy Nelson anymore - and boycotted 10 matches, until Mike Bailey was put in charge.

that doesn't sound like oggy , so you haven't been rose tinted all your life;-)
    i mean what would it take for that sort of action to take place from you now.....19 league games without a win maybe ......................................................................................... phew they won just in time!!
  • Ha ha, OooooAaaaagh! .....there is a difference.

I had no respect for Andy Nelson, knew a couple of the players at the time and the way he treated some of them personally was unbelievable - teenager David Campbell, for example, broke into the 1st team early and very promising; but the lad couldn't take Nelson's victimisation and personal abuse any longer - so quit the game. And never went back.

That season, Nelson had totally lost the plot and the dressing room. And the football was virtually non-existant.
    "Nelson Out" was the cry, but he wouldn't go and Gliksten dithered until it was far too late.

Maybe Parky did win just in time - but there's something that comes over as very conscientious about Parky so I'm prepared to give him a chance for a while.

I wouldn't mind knowing what a player's point of view is though .......
  • [cite]Posted By: Oggy Red[/cite]Ha ha, OooooAaaaagh! .....there is a difference.

I had no respect for Andy Nelson, knew a couple of the players at the time and the way he treated some of them personally was unbelievable - teenager David Campbell, for example, broke into the 1st team early and very promising; but the lad couldn't take Nelson's victimisation and personal abuse any longer - so quit the game. And never went back.

That season, Nelson had totally lost the plot and the dressing room. And the football was virtually non-existant.
    "Nelson Out" was the cry, but he wouldn't go and Gliksten dithered until it was far too late.

Maybe Parky did win just in time - but there's something that comes over as very conscientious about Parky so I'm prepared to give him a chance for a while.

I wouldn't mind knowing what a player's point of view is though .......

The first David Campbell was a very intelligent guy and was able to do better for himself at that time outside football and that was the main driving force for him packing up as a pro although it is true he wasn't enjoying it towards the end (79/80 relegation season). I used to drink occasionally with him at that time as I played cricket with some good mates of his and he would come along sometimes although, despite being a fine player himself, he rarely played.

He has gone on to be extremely successful in business so probably made the right decision.
  • Keith Peacock's book really gives some insight in to Nelson.
    Who actually inherited Foley's rebuilding and instilled a system.
    Keith says in his book that at the end of the season he called him in and said , 'you sir your legs have gone sir' and turned around and walked out , that was it. Real Oldskool . The younger player just didn't respect him.

But the Nelson Classic was on ITV Big Match calling Charlton Fans 'Village Idiots'.
  • Nelson was the Gerald Ratner of his time with that comment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Right, both of them served up crap!