Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Matt Jackson

does anyone remember him?

I watch MLS alot and one of the co commentators on Sky Sports I always thought sounded like Steve Claridge(apart from being knowledgeable 🤣)but I never caught his name, recently I have heard the commentator call him Matt and he mentioned playing for Everton in the 90s.

Anyway I watch watching the highlights earlier and caught his full name as Matt Jackson, so I googled him to find out more about him(he has always sounded very knowledgeable)

And found out he actually played 8 games on loan for us in 1996

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Jackson_(footballer)

Just wondering if anyone remembers him lol

Comments

• Yep. Great player. Defender......right back or could play centre half. 
  • Obviously was slightly before my time as I was 6 at the time.

As I say he is very knowledgeable and good to listen to, definitely so much better than some of the rubbish like Mcmanaman 
  • Very decent player for us. 
  • edited August 2020
    I was about 9 when he played for us and thought he was going to be a world beater as he had been a starter in Everton's FA cup winning side in 95.

He was pretty decent to be fair. 

10 years later he scored the third goal against us for Wigan in the season we got relegated from the prem, ah memories. 
  • Yep remember him, think he scored in an FA Cup final?
  • Played in our play off side of that season - wasn’t it the year Bowyer broke through and towards the end of the year we also had Chris Whyte in to shore up the defence.

Also if I’m right in remembering wasn’t it the year we did the double over the scum?
  • Thought he played more games than that for us. 
  • se9addick said:
    Yep remember him, think he scored in an FA Cup final?
    He set the goal up but didn't score it, that was Paul Rideout, Graham Stuart was also involved in the goal  
  • Sponsored links:

• Played in our play off side of that season - wasn’t it the year Bowyer broke through and towards the end of the year we also had Chris Whyte in to shore up the defence.

Also if I’m right in remembering wasn’t it the year we did the double over the scum?
    That was the season. Jackson was not at the club for either of the 2 fixtures
  • I think he made his debut at Norwich away when Bradley Allen scored the only goal. 
  • I thought he came from Norwich but remember him as being decent
  • RedPanda said:
    I think he made his debut at Norwich away when Bradley Allen scored the only goal. 
    Yeah I remember signing Bradley Allen for £400k or so and then FA Cup Semi Final goalscorer Matt Jackson and thinking we had hit the big time! Actually come to think of it, that was when Charlton started to spend money for the first time since the return to the valley and the club really started to build up towards the likes of the Mendonca / Mills / Youds signings that propelled us towards the premier league.
  • Jackson was signed on loan from Everton for an initial month and made 8 league appearances with his debut coming in the one nil away at Norwich where Bradley Allen scored on his debut. The loan was extended for the remaining 2 league games plus the 2 play off fixtures v Crystal Palace
  • Good player 
  • I remembered the name, though nothing much about how he did for us!
  • Very good player, was disappointed when he left after the loan. Didn’t Gary Poole come in shortly after him? 
  • I remember him quite clearly playing for us but can't remember why we signed him.  Was humps injured or knackered?  Sure he was our 1st choice RB that season. 
  • Decent player for us.
  • Sponsored links:

• Yes.......we would have liked to have got him on a permanent.
    Did well in the short time he was with us.
  • He was quality

We signed him and Bradley Allen at the same time and I think got big Chris Whyte in on loan too 

I remember John Humphrey being quality that season but he was at the end of his career and we had tons of injuries coming into the final part of the season 

Paul Mortimer and Lee Bowyer were a genuine joy to watch in midfield that year, plenty of goals in the midfield of that team from Robbo, Bowyer and Mortimer 

David Whye lost his way a bit that season but we did beat the scum twice very convincingly both times 
  • He was decent for us. Came in at the end of that playoff season, but unfortunately Bowyer had kind of run out of steam a little, and we couldn't quite go the distance. Seem to remember him playing left back a bit, could be wrong, but he was built more like a centre half. Chrissy Whyte was decent for us that year too.
  • edited August 2020
    Iirc he would have moved to us permanently had we got promoted. 

Jackson was used at right back but can play in the centre back role. He played for many clubs but in his post Everton career most successfully for Norwich and Wigan. 

Chris Whyte played left back a couple of times but mainly played in the centre back role for us. Technically Whyte was a permanent signing because Birmingham paid up his contract and released him. 

I think Chris made his debut in our last win against Millwall. 

Didn't Jackson go on to work for Wigan behind the scenes? I think he lost his job through admin so glad he has got some commentary work. 
  • Decent. Sign him up.
  • Remember him well decent player and had some good games for us.
  • Surely he played more than 8 games for us? I remember him pretty well.
  • Very good player. I always kept a close eye on his career after he left us. 
  • Prefer Nick Jackson,less of a spot monkey
  • I remember him as well - maybe because it was a time of more stable squads and fewer loan deals.

Jackson, Kernaghan, Wilder, Furguson, Hendry stick in my mind - don't think I could name many from the last 10 years...