Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

R.I.P Mike Sexton

edited September 2020 in Not Sports Related
unfortunately this was coming a few days ago I saw Daniel Negreanu tweet something from someone else tweet who mentioned he had been battling prostate cancer and it had spread to other organs and he had began in house hospice.

Mike was a good poker player and great commentator and was inducted into the Poker Hall of Fame in 2009

Thoughts are with his family and friends 

Comments

• Damn that’s really sad news. Used to love his WPT commentary.

RIP
  • edited September 2020
    I spend a lot of time watching poker and no one has a bad word to say about him. The greats make reference to how he was a such a good player who loved life. His book is on my list to read. 

The Poker community has lost a legend who brought the game to millions via the WPT. 

• Met him in Vegas a few years back. Nice guy. RIP fella 
  • edited September 2020
    Who?
    Kind of disrespectful 

There have been many R.I.P threads for people I dont know old actors whatever if I don't know them I don't comment, I would never disrespect by saying who.

I am sure there are poker fans on here who know exactly who Mike Sexton is and would have been as gutted as me to see his passing
    I am asking who he is FFS......as I have never heard of him and I’d take a bet 95% of the population haven’t either?
  • it's rare for a big name in the poker world to have no detractors, but I never heard a bad word about Mike. RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• If it wasn’t for Mike Sexton none of the mega money poker stars would be where they are today.
    He made the high stakes game what it is. 
    He came up with the formats for the big TV games that got all the big names and the millions of viewers, he helped make the stars.
    And all the while, he is loved by EVERY. SINGLE. PLAYER.

RIP
  • He is also famous for this SICK series of calls against Matusow. Negreanu's reaction after, is great.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ocEbQUiYuw

• gutted to hear this, I knew he was not well but still not expecting this news.

RIP Mike, you will be missed 
  • Mike is a legend, by all accounts a great bloke and a real loss for poker community. Completely agree with Paulie for whats it worth regarding not commentating if you don't know them, but don't want to derail the thread. RIP Mike.
  • Who?
    Kind of disrespectful 

There have been many R.I.P threads for people I dont know old actors whatever if I don't know them I don't comment, I would never disrespect by saying who.

I am sure there are poker fans on here who know exactly who Mike Sexton is and would have been as gutted as me to see his passing
    I am asking who he is FFS......as I have never heard of him and I’d take a bet 95% of the population haven’t either?
    This may be news to you but there is such a thing as google. You ought to try it in the future. 
  • Who?
    Kind of disrespectful 

This may be news to you but there is such a thing as google. You ought to try it in the future. 
    You do know this is a discussion forum don't you?

Anyway, RIP.
  • If we all wrote who? on every RIP thread of someone we didn’t know .....

I don’t usually bother with RIP threads because I don’t know who most of them are(maybe I would look at more if all had a little about what they were famous for in thread title )  but this one played on my mushy memory so I came to look , so maybe if it had said Poker Legend in the thread title that may have helped lure me in quicker .

Anyway as someone who got in to poker just under 20 years ago he was someone whose enthusiasm for the game I loved watching/recording the WPT from tv .... now what channel was it on back then?

2003-7 the travel channel according to google .

Anyway loved that fella , RIP Mike Sexton 

• Stig said:
    Who?
    Kind of disrespectful 

You do know this is a discussion forum don't you?

Anyway, RIP.
    Why would you say ask who when you can google it, Its obvious the chap doesn’t think its worth of a RIP thread as they said 95% of poeple won’t have heard of him. Disrespectful imo, anyway my last comment on this thread.
  • RIP, I saw stuff going round on twitter and didn't realise he had passed :( sad news sounded like a great bloke and also well respected within the community. As someone on here said i have never heard anyone in poker say a bad word about him, proper gent. 
  • RIP... I can only concur that he was a really well liked person in the poker world. Trust me there isnt many like him that frequent that world.