Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Future of England - Watchtower

Comments

• I'd be very surprised if Sancho is still there next season.

United and Chelsea will be heading up the queue for him in the summer.
    Liverpool could move for him if Salah or Mane move to Spain. 
    Arsenal and Spurs can't afford him.
    Not sure he'd go back to City, or if they even need him.
    And thats just here in England
  • Never truly rated Calvert Lewin... Even when the U20s won the World Cup (thanks to his goal) I always thought he wasnt good enough

Happy to take that back at the moment - Anchelotti and Ferguson really have given him some confidence, be surprised and disappointed for him if he isnt in the next England squad what with the shortage we've got up front at the present
  • Bukayo Saka is the player to get really excited about from that game. 
  • I thought this thread was about an article in the Jehovah Witness magazine for a moment.....
  • 17 year old Yunus Musah became the first Englishman to ever play for Valencia last night. Has represented England from all age groups from U15 to U18, but is also eligible for USA, Ghana and Italy.
  • Never truly rated Calvert Lewin... Even when the U20s won the World Cup (thanks to his goal) I always thought he wasnt good enough

Happy to take that back at the moment - Anchelotti and Ferguson really have given him some confidence, be surprised and disappointed for him if he isnt in the next England squad what with the shortage we've got up front at the present
    He's always seemed like a slightly better Jason Euell
  • 17 year old Yunus Musah became the first Englishman to ever play for Valencia last night. Has represented England from all age groups from U15 to U18, but is also eligible for USA, Ghana and Italy.

Have you heard the joke about the guy with a Ghanaian and English granddad and a American and Italian grandmother ?

• Jamal Musiala became the youngest English scorer in the Champions League last night, 17-years old, scored in Bayern's 4-1 win over Lazio.

Wonder if Southgate will call him up to the Seniors next month for the World Cup Qualifiers as guess if we dither; Germany will start trying to persuade him
  • Jamal Musiala became the youngest English scorer in the Champions League last night, 17-years old, scored in Bayern's 4-1 win over Lazio.

Wonder if Southgate will call him up to the Seniors next month for the World Cup Qualifiers as guess if we dither; Germany will start trying to persuade him
    Might be a bit soon, feels like proper rushing him in. Could be interesting in the future although the CAM role which we probably have the most options bar Right back. 
  • edited February 2021
    Jamal Musiala became the youngest English scorer in the Champions League last night, 17-years old, scored in Bayern's 4-1 win over Lazio.

Might be a bit soon, feels like proper rushing him in. Could be interesting in the future although the CAM role which we probably have the most options bar Right back. 
    Never mind... Just seen the Athletic doing an article saying that he's decided he wants to represent Germany - Which is fair enough, he is German, was born in Stuttgart, think the only reason he's eligible to play for England is because he went to school here
  • Sponsored links:

Not going to happen now.

Bayern Munich forward Jamal Musiala says he will choose to represent Germany over England or Nigeria at international level.

The Stuttgart-born forward, who has represented both England and Germany at youth level, says he has thought about his international future "a lot".

"In the end, I just listened to the feeling that over a long period of time kept telling me that it was the right decision to play for Germany, the land I was born in. Still, it wasn't an easy decision for me.

"I have a heart for Germany and a heart for England. Both hearts will keep on beating.

"It is difficult to find words for what England means for me because I have so many memories connected to very positive emotions."

• I always say that we can predict our England squads to come

But the lovely fact at the moment is there are kids coming through who'll surely challenge that we still dont even know of

https://www.goal.com/en/news/carney-chukwuemeka-aston-villa-wonderkid-europe-top-clubs/1rfzq9h0qmjip1gs8j6glmyev5

But the lovely fact at the moment is there are kids coming through who'll surely challenge that we still dont even know of

https://www.goal.com/en/news/carney-chukwuemeka-aston-villa-wonderkid-europe-top-clubs/1rfzq9h0qmjip1gs8j6glmyev5
    The young lad Kevin Lisbie for example.  😀

Signed him for us on the CM01/02 current update the other day.

He's doing well in the reserves at the moment, hot prospect for the future!

Signed him for us on the CM01/02 current update the other day.

He's doing well in the reserves at the moment, hot prospect for the future!
    That season update people do in the background to keep CM01/02 up to date is an excellent piece of work!!

Might have to download that later and play it again, my favourite ever verion of Championship / Football Manager

Jacob and Aaron Ramsey are another 2 great prospects at Villa. Their academy is producing some good youngsters.
  • edited August 2021
    Delighted to see Trevor Chalobah starting for Chelsea last week and playing so well. We're desperately short of quality depth at CB for England. I was wondering who the next centre-back through the ranks would be.

Looks like he has brilliant ability on the ball.
  • A potential new star is born. 18 year old midfielder Charlie Patino at Arsenal, coming on and scoring within minutes on his debut last night.

Played for Arsenal U18s and captained England U16s when he was just 14.

The head of scouting at Arsenal described him as the "best player who has ever walked through the doors at Hale End", and another scout there called him "the best kid I've ever seen." 

Only issue is, he is also eligible for Spain because of his dad.
  • Sponsored links:

• A potential new star is born. 18 year old midfielder Charlie Patino at Arsenal, coming on and scoring within minutes on his debut last night.

Played for Arsenal U18s and captained England U16s when he was just 14.

The head of scouting at Arsenal described him as the "best player who has ever walked through the doors at Hale End", and another scout there called him "the best kid I've ever seen." 

Only issue is, he is also eligible for Spain because of his dad.
    Hopefully we can convince him to stay with England seeing he's appeared for four of our age groups.

Although wiki says he's been linked with Barcelona this year so bet that wont help.

Still feel that England need a few more rising stars to come through @ Centre-Back, you dont seem to hear of many youngsters breaking through in Defence at the moment.
  • edited December 2021
    I was just looking at Patino last night. Looks a world class talent. 

I wonder if our lack of CBs coming through is because we play futsal at the younger age groups now. I doubt a young John Terry would've stood out in such a technical game.
  • Chunes said:

I wonder if our lack of CBs coming through is because we play futsal at the younger age groups now. I doubt a young John Terry would've stood out in such a technical game.
    There is an issue, whether it's training, player identification or something completely different. 

The top academies seem to produce a lot of the same type of players and very few of anything else. Attacking full backs, wide forwards and number 10s mainly.   Of course there are exceptions but not many.

You have to wonder where the next John Terry, Gary Neville or Steve Gerrard will come from or what they would be turned into. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

There is an issue, whether it's training, player identification or something completely different. 

The top academies seem to produce a lot of the same type of players and very few of anything else. Attacking full backs, wide forwards and number 10s mainly.   Of course there are exceptions but not many.

You have to wonder where the next John Terry, Gary Neville or Steve Gerrard will come from or what they would be turned into. 
    Thing with centre backs is there’s always the view that you need ‘experience’ at the back and I can’t see many top end clubs playing an 18 year old regularly in that position. Kind of the same with goalies. They tend to push through around 23. In fact, are there many CB’s in world football playing at the top under 21?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

The top academies seem to produce a lot of the same type of players and very few of anything else. Attacking full backs, w4ide forwards and number 10s mainly.   Of course there are exceptions but not many.

Thing with centre backs is there’s always the view that you need ‘experience’ at the back and I can’t see many top end clubs playing an 18 year old regularly in that position. Kind of the same with goalies. They tend to push through around 23. In fact, are there many CB’s in world football playing at the top under 21?
    Centre half is a funny position. All the attributes that make great athletes improve any centre half but the best ones are the ones who can, not so much read games, but second guess from experience, judge the flight and weight of the ball not to mention the more physical side of the game like blocking. That usually comes with game hours under your belt. Every now and then players like Gomez, Ferdinand, Campbell and King come along who have that in their locker at a young age along with the physicality but in the main young centre halves are units but prone to poor decision making, misjudging the flight of balls and relying on pace to get out of trouble. 

Tyrone Mings is one of those who never learnt how to do these above mentioned things, good stopper but the brain of an emu
  • Carter said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Chunes said:

The top academies seem to produce a lot of the same type of players and very few of anything else. Attacking full backs, w4ide forwards and number 10s mainly.   Of course there are exceptions but not many.

Centre half is a funny position. All the attributes that make great athletes improve any centre half but the best ones are the ones who can, not so much read games, but second guess from experience, judge the flight and weight of the ball not to mention the more physical side of the game like blocking. That usually comes with game hours under your belt. Every now and then players like Gomez, Ferdinand, Campbell and King come along who have that in their locker at a young age along with the physicality but in the main young centre halves are units but prone to poor decision making, misjudging the flight of balls and relying on pace to get out of trouble. 

Tyrone Mings is one of those who never learnt how to do these above mentioned things, good stopper but the brain of an emu
    Yep plus at CB you see the whole game infront of you. You gotta be very vocal and not be afraid to give those infront an earful. Takes a lot of bollocks for a kid and a manager to do that.
  • Recently read a stat about Maldini's reading and positioning being so good he averaged half a tackle per game. 
  • Recently read a stat about Maldini's reading and positioning being so good he averaged half a tackle per game. 
    Maldini actually began his career at right back before switching to left back. He then moved to centre back in the latter years of his career because, yep, his experience (and loss of pace). 

Upamacano and Dias are the only players I can think of that have been at a top club playing CB regularly in their late teens (both now 23).
    Maldini actually began his career at right back before switching to left back. He then moved to centre back in the latter years of his career because, yep, his experience (and loss of pace). 

Upamacano and Dias are the only players I can think of that have been at a top club playing CB regularly in their late teens (both now 23).
    Going back to my original point I can't actually think of a top draw center half that has come through a top English academy since they were a thing?  Mcguire, Stones and Mings didnt. 

De Ligt was a regular for Ajax and Holland at 17/18 and then moved to Juventus, he's still only 22.