Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Car Number Plate Cloned

My car number plate has been cloned - LY69 OJR, it is driving around Bexley, Eltham A2. The car the plates are on is a red Toyota Corolla, my car is a two-tone - red and black Toyota Corolla. I first knew of this when local Police came with complaints about a car being driven erratically by a man ( i am a 58-year-old woman!). I now have a notice of prosecution for speeding when the car was on my drive. I am sure this will not be the last. Thankfully it is obvious it is not my car by the colour and I can prove from the my Toyota app, where my car was.  Has anyone seen this car parked, or can give any advice? Am beyond stressed and freaked by this. Thanks 

Comments

• Good advice on the RAC Foundation site - see Question 32 in the Consumer FAQ section.

https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/consumer#a32

• Good advice on the RAC Foundation site - see Question 32 in the Consumer FAQ section.

https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/consumer#a32

Thanks, am waiting for the crime number from the police and will contact DVLA.
  • I feel for you, a couple of years ago some skanky nomark lifted the plates off our car whilst it was parked on our drive. 
    Reported it to the police and they just sighed and said they’d put a note against the registration which might mean I get pulled over/checked a bit more.
    I think we had the car for another year or so, no tugs from the police but also no drama in the post about congestion charge, dartford tunnel or forecourt drive-offs etc. but it was gnawing at my mind constantly.
    So relieved to chop it in in the end....
    It sounds like you’ve got it registered with the Popo at least so hopefully this will be the only incident with extra grief but I’d consider changing it if I were you soz 😬
  • May not be cloned - it may just be an error by the Toyota dealer on the license plates.

I once bought a new Megane from the Renault dealership in Sevenoaks and ended up driving around for three months with different number plates on the back and front. Two of the numbers were completely different, yet I was never pulled up over it.

• Fumbluff said:
    I feel for you, a couple of years ago some skanky nomark lifted the plates off our car whilst it was parked on our drive. 
    Reported it to the police and they just sighed and said they’d put a note against the registration which might mean I get pulled over/checked a bit more.
    I think we had the car for another year or so, no tugs from the police but also no drama in the post about congestion charge, dartford tunnel or forecourt drive-offs etc. but it was gnawing at my mind constantly.
    It sounds like you’ve got it registered with the Popo at least so hopefully this will be the only incident with extra grief but I’d consider changing it if I were you soz 😬
    Husband said that, does that mean getting a private number plate?  I really cannot be bothered with the hassle of this, scumbags!
  • Sorry to hear about your problem, and going from personal knowledge, i can
    see that it is very stressful, i had a case where i received a police notice of
    prosecution because my car was caught on camera doing 111mph on the
    M11,when it was in a car park at work.
    I had to jump through all sorts of hoops, letters from work and endless emails
    before two months later received an apologetic letter of misreading my number
    plate, so keep your spirits up, it will be resolved, but appreciate your stress level
    at the moment
  • I once had a letter through announcing the driver of my then work van had points and a fine for parking on a box junction in the West End. The letter carried all the correct details for my van but the picture was of a black volkswagon car, which one digit different on the number plate. I ignored it thinking this will be fun but I guess they realised their mistake as I heard nothing else about it.
  • edited September 2020
    Met my friend for a dog walk recently. On the journey there I happened to be driving behind her and it became obvious that her number plate was missing. I my rear view mirror I saw a police car and thought "oh no, she's gonna get pulled" but the police carried on by. As we got to the destination I noticed that the front plate was also missing. She hadn't noticed so didn't know when they went missing. On the way home another police car passed her and no stop. 

As an aside, I saw a car pull up on my street. Remove a set of plates front and back revealing a different plate underneath. Being a nosey neighbour that I am, I was quick enough to write down the numbers. I rang the police and to my dismay, they weren't interested. 
  • I'm sure the best plan be to spend £250 or so on a basic personalized plate? It really is a straightforward process. Go via dvla not a private company. 

https://dvlaregistrations.dvla.gov.uk/

Think it would be the most stress free solution. 
  • I had similar once, apart from the car was an identical, I had countless speed and other fines all in Scotland, it ended with armed police sort of raiding our house in a very polite manner, on arrival I guess they realised they may have made an mistake and were ultra polite. The other car had been used in an armed bank robbery (hence the armed police) were someone was shot. I had already proved it wasn’t me by the fact I had sold my car previously to just get rid of the aggro, what was interesting the car dealer I sold my car was also raided and arrested for clocking my car, I had a second visit from the police to verify the mileage when I sold the car, they only turned it back 100,000 miles, but at least they weren’t armed. 
  • Sponsored links:

• With all the number plate recognition cameras and software out there, it seems weird that the Police are unable to identify where the cloned car is and swoop. If people get away with this, more and more will do it!
  • Uber have been cloning cars for ages to avoid congestion zone . Tfl know and so do the police. A case of five white Prius all with same registrations were all in congestion charge at the same time. Meaning that all but one of those drivers were uninsured. I presume. 
  • kimbo said:
    Fumbluff said:
    I feel for you, a couple of years ago some skanky nomark lifted the plates off our car whilst it was parked on our drive. 
    Husband said that, does that mean getting a private number plate?  I really cannot be bothered with the hassle of this, scumbags!
    I don’t know how that works exactly, I’d imagine there would still be a record of your original plate on that car even once you’d shelled out for K1 MB0
    I’d switch cars, it’ll wind up being less aggro, try and avoid the super popular models...
  • Fumbluff said:
    kimbo said:
    Fumbluff said:
    I don’t know how that works exactly, I’d imagine there would still be a record of your original plate on that car even once you’d shelled out for K1 MB0
    I’d switch cars, it’ll wind up being less aggro, try and avoid the super popular models...
    That definitely is not an option. Only bought it 6 months ago!  
  • Fumbluff said:
    kimbo said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Yes.  There will be a record.  The car reverts back to its original number when you transfer the personal plate.  However the main DVLA database will have the new number and you should stop getting NIPs, etc through the post I'd have thought.  Also, for the future, scum are less likely to clone a personal plate, they would want something bland and anonymous. 
  • Get a crime reference and speak to the DVLA, they'll give you a new number plate, free of charge from memory.
  • cafcfan said:
    Fumbluff said:
    kimbo said:
    Fumbluff said:
    Also, for the future, scum are less likely to clone a personal plate, they would want something bland and anonymous. 
    Half way there with a Corolla then.