Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Simon Dobbin RIP

A football fan who suffered horrific injuries when he was attacked by opposition hooligans in 2015 has died.

Simon Dobbin, 48, was left brain-damaged in the assault after a match in Southend, Essex, five years ago.

The Cambridge United fan died in his sleep at his home in Mildenhall, Suffolk, in the early hours of Wednesday, his wife Nicole said.

Mrs Dobbin said he had been "his usual self, laughing and smiling the day before".

Comments

• Tragic waste. RIP
  • How very sad and what a waste of a life caused by 'so-called' football supporters! RIP Simon, my condolences to family, and friends. God bless you sir. 
  • Disgusting that the perpetrators only got 5 years for it too.

RIP

• Horrible, no one should go to a football match and effectively have the rest of their life taken away from them.

RIP Simon.
  • I was not aware of this story. Very sad. RIP.
  • Absolutely tragic. RIP. 
  • Sponsored links:

• God that’s depressing. RIP
  • Disgusting that the perpetrators only got 5 years for it too.

RIP

Football fan Simon Dobbin, who was left fighting for his life after he was brutally set upon at a football game, has died five years after the assault - just months after the last of his attackers was released.

https://www.edp24.co.uk/news/simon-dobbin-dies-5-years-after-football-game-attack-1-6894446
  • RIP, a reply horrible waste of a life.
  • RIP. A tragic tale
  • Sponsored links:

• Terrible and  disgusting. The scum who did this are out walking the streets. About time jail sentences started fitting the crimes.

RIP
  • Tragic story. That's why when I see these old hooligans "reminiscing" about their tear ups it sickens me. Any of them could have been the people responsible for Simon's death.   

RIP.    
    So true - this is the true face of football hooliganism, not all these "Nawty!  Story of the Crew" type books from sad old skinheads who can't believe people don't get drunk and have a hilarious fight every week like the good ol' days.

Glad it's such a minority now.
  • What terrible news, he lived on the other side of the county to me.  It made me sick and angry whenever I saw pictures of him on "Look East". The fact  those thugs got only five years for that is disgusting..
  • Felt really sick when I heard this. 

RIP Simon. 
  • It's a pity the cowardly s**thouses who assaulted him can't be retrospectively charged with murder. Simon led no kind of life for 5 years and his family must surely have missed out on a lot in caring for him. R I P Simon and all the best to your brave and dedicated family
    I'm not sure that's true any more
    Significant new evidence has come to light...etc.  All murder/manslaughter charges are retrospective by definition.
  • Tragic story. That's why when I see these old hooligans "reminiscing" about their tear ups it sickens me. Any of them could have been the people responsible for Simon's death.   

RIP.    
    So true - this is the true face of football hooliganism, not all these "Nawty!  Story of the Crew" type books from sad old skinheads who can't believe people don't get drunk and have a hilarious fight every week like the good ol' days.

All of his attackers were younger than him and most were in their 20s. It's not like there isn't a new generation of these types
  • Leuth said:
    Tragic story. That's why when I see these old hooligans "reminiscing" about their tear ups it sickens me. Any of them could have been the people responsible for Simon's death.   

RIP.    

All of his attackers were younger than him and most were in their 20s. It's not like there isn't a new generation of these types
    Absolutely but I wonder how many are interested in it due to the glorification of it that's around.
  • edited October 2020
    Horrible ending to a horrible story. Hope they can reopen the case and those responsible get what’s coming. How can you only get a couple of years for stamping on someone’s head whilst they’re on the floor?

RIP Simon
  • It's a pity the cowardly s**thouses who assaulted him can't be retrospectively charged with murder. Simon led no kind of life for 5 years and his family must surely have missed out on a lot in caring for him. R I P Simon and all the best to your brave and dedicated family
    I'm not sure that's true any more
    Significant new evidence has come to light...etc.  All murder/manslaughter charges are retrospective by definition.

A post-mortem examination has shown there was a link between the death of a football fan and the attack that left him brain damaged five years earlier.

Simon Dobbin, 48, was left unable to walk, talk or move independently after being assaulted by hooligans in Southend, Essex, in 2015.

Essex Police said it would be investigating "who was responsible for his death".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-58328081

• RIP Simon.