Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Wigan charged with misconduct by Football Association following Charlton defeat

Wigan players were frustrated after referee Ollie Yates turned down a penalty appeal during the 1-0 loss

Thursday 22 October 2020 13:16, UK

during the Sky Bet Championship League match between Wigan Athletic and Blackburn Rovers at DW Stadium on August 13 2016 in Wigan England
    Image:Wigan have been charged with misconduct by the Football AssociationWigan have been charged with misconduct by the Football Association after last weekend's defeat at Charlton.

The Latics' frustrations spilled over late in a 1-0 Sky Bet League One defeat at The Valley after referee Ollie Yates turned down a penalty appeal.

A statement on the FA Spokesperson Twitter feed read: "Wigan Athletic FC has been charged with a breach of FA Rule E20 following its EFL League One fixture against Charlton Athletic FC on Saturday, October 17 2020.

"It is alleged that during the 83rd minute of the fixture, Wigan Athletic FC failed to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion.

"The club has until Monday, October 26 2020 to respond."
    Charlton v Wigan1:57
    Charlton 1-0 Wigan

Wigan's players felt Lee Evans had been fouled in the penalty area before his shot hit the underside of the crossbar and bounced down close to the goal-line.

Latics striker Simon Garner had a 'goal' ruled out for a foul in the build-up before Charlton's Jake Forster-Caskey scored the only goal in the 65th minute

Wigan had already had an earlier second-half penalty appeal waved away.

• Must be something their players said at the time, although surely any misconduct like that would've resulted in a booking or sending off
  • edited October 2020

Charging Wigan for "failing to control players, blah blah yada yadda.." is the cynical smokescreen of the pissweak arbiter trying to cover up for their hysterically hopeless gutless halfwit referee who fucked up the game.  Just made a change for us not to be on the receiving end - just Alfie D getting mullered.  Sure as eggs is eggs he'll be back out norsing up a League 2 game scot free of consequences, while Wigan get a fine and some bollocks sanction "...warning as to future conduct..."

MattF said:
    Must be something their players said at the time, although surely any misconduct like that would've resulted in a booking or sending off
      - the "ref" would have taken action at the time if he or his linos had heard any such thing - so didn't happen
  • edited October 2020
    I didn't see anything especially bad, and as said above if a player had said something unacceptable to the referee, surely he would have taken action there and then
  • Are they still in admin?
  • Are they still in admin?
    Yes as their proposed takeover hasn't been completed yet
  • Watched highlights on Quest last night for the first time since the stream. Replayed it several times and just couldn't see the contact. My instant reaction  to the wigan players reaction was that it was excessive. May be it seems worse in an empty ground where you can hear everything and may be we have seen worse, but the league should clamp down on such behaviour. Someone recently posted a link to an article about the Kent Youth League shutting down for a couple of weeks in response to player/parent behaviour. This sort of behaviour needs curbing from top to bottom.
  • Sponsored links:

• fucking fuckwits EFL. Wigan shafted again by incompetent EFL. Happens in every game up and down the land. I don't have a problem with it. Got more concerns about how shit the officials are
  • Didn’t look a pen to me at the time and having watched it again a few times today I still can’t see it.

Also their “disallowed” goal - the ref blew up long before the ball went anywhere near the net and we weren’t really trying to stop it by then.
  • Wigan reacted in a commonplace way to events in the game. I watched it and wasn't distracted by some remarkable out of ordinary shocking behaviour.
    They didn't want to lose understandably.
    Maybe words were said.
    Seems harsh, maybe an example is being set.
  • Right now Wigan seem to be a victim of Murphy's Law .. whatever can go wrong WILL go wrong
  • I thought our man called it right.

• Seems ridiculous to charge them for that. But then why should we be surprised? 
  • rananegra said:
    Seems ridiculous to charge them for that. But then why should we be surprised? 
    What was said to the ref then?
  • Good that Pickford got off though.
  • edited October 2020
    The point is, have over teams protested in the same way without punishment? I would say most definitely. What probably happened is the ref raised it in his report and scored them very low. Most refs probably make less of it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Good that Pickford got off though.
    Doesnt sound like that one is over yet...

Never in my life have I seen the Media bang on about a player getting injured like van Dijk
  • edited October 2020
    True, but then as I result I hope we see a rule change that ensures all challenges can be retrospectively dealt with regardless if its in the Referee Report or not

Unfortunately I dont have enough faith in the Leagues to do that, plus I hope they ban Pickford based on the challenge NOT the injury
  • Good, as much as i was rooting for them when they were fighting the penalty points. They were a bunch of dirty bastards on Saturday really made me dislike them, especially that lump up top , good player but what a prick. 
  • Been fined £1500, hardly seems worth the charge although I'm sure the FA will find a good use for it
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54698356
  • MattF said:
    Been fined £1500, hardly seems worth the charge although I'm sure the FA will find a good use for it
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54698356
    Yeah, the FA need the money more than poor old Wigan. :neutral: