Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

This week I have been reading

Comments

• just been reading some very funny spoof detective books by jasper fforde, sureal weird clever n makes you laugh
  • Just finished 'Buffalo Soldiers' by Robert O'Connor again. Best book I've ever read.
  • Watchtower
  • [cite]Posted By: shrew[/cite]just been reading some very funny spoof detective books by jasper fforde, sureal weird clever n makes you laugh

I have read two or three of those, very strange books, but very funny also.
  • I am still trying to finish Quicksilver - Neil Stephenson...and this is only the first book of the trilogy. Once finished I will then read Shantaram which I've heard is a excellent read.
  • [cite]Posted By: Solidgone[/cite]I am still trying to finish Quicksilver - Neil Stephenson...and this is only the first book of the trilogy. Once finished I will then read Shantaram which I've heard is a excellent read.

Shantaram is superb - one of the best books I have read in ages
  • Homicide -- a year on the killing streets by david Simon . If you ever watched "Homicide Life on the Streets" on TV afew years back this is the book that made the series. Its 650 pages and a stunning read.
  • Been reading "Hurrah for the Blackshirts - Fascists and Fascism in the 1920s and 30s." Excellent study
  • There used to be a cafe in Villiers Street called the foutain it was run by an old jewish man, was looking a picture of a Blackshirt rally which was on the wall behind the counter .(We would have been over Sell Out Park at the time). I asked him one night why he had it and he said it was to remind him of the battle of cable street, which he said he went to as a young man to watch.
  • Nearly finished The Damn United, The Bromley Boys is line up and ready to take it's place later this week.
  • Sponsored links:

• Liddle Hart - The History of the First World War
    Robert Graves - Goodbye to all that
    Private Eye - About a month old
  • [cite]Posted By: Goonerhater[/cite]There used to be a cafe in Villiers Street called the foutain it was run by an old jewish man, was looking a picture of a Blackshirt rally which was on the wall behind the counter .(We would have been over Sell Out Park at the time). I asked him one night why he had it and he said it was to remind him of the battle of cable street, which he said he went to as a young man to watch.

My mum lived in Cable St at the time. She was only 3 so not actively involved but she remembers the barricades
  • Michael Parkinson Autobiography
  • [cite]Posted By: Addickted[/cite]Liddle Hart - The History of the First World War
    Robert Graves - Goodbye to all that
    Private Eye - About a month old

What's the Liddle Hart book like? Corrigan slates him in "Mud, blood..."
  • 'why do i say these things' by jonathan ross. good book, few funny bits always been a fan of his so defo worth a read, not as sicofantic as chris moyles etc..
  • Media Control - Noam Chomsky

Fantastic
  • Roy of the Rovers the Autobiography
  • Me Cheeta, is supposed to be a good read might be next on my list, its an autobiography set in the eyes of the chimp that played tarzans side kick. Johnny Wisemuller was Tarzan suposed to be very funny.
  • edited February 2009
    The Boof Thief by Markus Zusak.

For some reason listed as a kids book, but it is a brutal tale of death, war, a small German girl and stealing books.

It's long but more and more absorbing.
  • Gunheads by Steve Lyons- sci-fi war from the WH40k universe. Also Armagedon by Max Hastings- saw him give a lecture on this a couple of years back- very interesting tome on the final days ofthe Western Front of WW2
  • Sponsored links:

• I've just finished: Henry - The Virtuous Prince by David Starkey
  • Football My Arse by Ricky Tomlinson
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]I've just finished: Henry - The Virtuous Prince by David Starkey

I don't think he does me justice : - )

I'm always surprised how much literature and TV there is about the Tudors but not about the founder of the House, Henry VII.

A right murdering, ruthless b****** by the few accounts I have seen who killed just about anyone who opposed/threatened him including in all likelihood the princes in the Tower but so often the Tudor story seems to start with his son Henry VIII.
  • edited February 2009
    As this follows Henry VIII up to his 18th year, there is quite a lot about Henry VI in it. His reign, his loves, his bad points, etc so its defo worth a read for that.

It also includesl interesting details about the war of the roses as Henry VI and his wife were joined in matrimony to help heal the country after the battle.

Also, a lot of the 'staff' that henry vi sent to the tower, henry viii recalled them to his court right after his father died as they were from his mothers side of the family and he believed that the unity should live on as henry vi wasn't so good at diplomacy.
  • Thanks, I'll have to look out for it.
  • a warning: its feckin heavy. les wouldn't hold it for me whilst i was reading it. so selfish.
  • [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]a warning: its feckin heavy. les wouldn't hold it for me whilst i was reading it. so selfish.

Oh er missus : - )
  • Ranulph Fiennes,,mad,bad and dangerous to know!
  • the sun taken me all bloody day why are there so many long words in it
  • Bad Vibes by Luke Haines - about his time as frontman of the Auteurs. Some great tales in there, worth a read if you were into music in the 90s.

Currently reading I Wouldn't Start from Here by Andrew Mueller, an Australian rock critic who turned travel writer/foreign correspondent who toured the world's trouble spots (I'm at the point where he's visiting the headquarters of Hezbollah, above a baker's shop).