Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sir David Beckham

Contrary to other comments I've seen on CL.

I think Becks should have been knighted just for that free kick against Greece, changed the mood of a nation in the blink of an eye and probably the best one man display I have ever seen in any game of football. he was like a man possesed that day.

Take away the brief alleged affair with the bird who tossed off a pig a handjob, I believe he is a role model for any kid in this day and age.

Also, he has only played for 4 clubs, Man U, Real Madrid, Ac Milan, and (ahem) LA Galaxy. 3 of the best clubs in the world.

Has Trevor Brooking done more for football and deserve it more than Beckham? I'm not sure. Certainly cant see why Giggs deserves it more than Becks.

Legend in my humble opinion.

Comments

• Trevor Brooking has basically given his life to football, if only there were more like him.
    Sure Becks deserves an honour and he will get it.
    He did actually play for another club, on loan, I think it was Preston, may have been Crewe though or Rotherrem!
    Milan is a loan deal afterall.
  • Preston it was, scored from a corner if memory serves correct.
  • Don't forget his academy too (which Charlton used to train when it was snowing)

I think he deserves a knighthood. Comes across a good bloke. I thought that Becks and Posh's interview for comic relief showed they were prepared to be sent up for a good cause. Not many celebs would do that.
  • I have always liked the guy. Despite the media circus that he is, when he has put his mind to football then he is a class player. he also has a self deprecating humour. I remember a fly on the wall docu, where Posh was reading him a load of beckham is thick jokes, which he was creasing up at. The only thing I can't stand about himis that wife!! Did anyone see her preening at the presentation of the beckhams at LA Galaxy. That is the only reason to oppose Sir David beckham, can you imagine Lady Posh!!
  • A knighthood maybe when he's 50 or 60 - after he's spent the next 20 odd years raising money for worthwhile causes instead of just the cause to line the Beckhams pockets.

Dont get me wrong am sure he already does plenty for charity now but that LA Galaxy deal sullied his rep, i think, when he chose money over his career.
  • [cite]Posted By: Charltonparklane[/cite]Take away the brief alleged affair with the bird who tossed off a pig a handjob, I believe he is a role model for any kid in this day and age.

Her, by contrast...
  • I am sure that Beckham is a nice guy, and he sure is a very fine player that has represented his country with great honour, albeit with limited success on the big stage.

However, this modern trend of using the honours system to salve the egos of current celebrities is a really offensive way of judging contribution to a country IMHO.

For my money, these honors should absolutely NOT be the preserve of the rich and famous but should be used to reward those people in health, education, science, social work and industry who make a genuine difference to the well-being of the country.

For example, here in Oz, the country's top civil award went to Dr. Ian Fraser ( a Jock, surprise!) who invented a new vaccine for cervical cancer to be taken by teenage girls.

To my mind THAT is a hero, not a sportsperson.
  • Beckham will manage Charlton one day. FACT.
  • [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Beckham will manage Charlton one day. FACT.

David or Victoria?
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]Beckham will manage Charlton one day. FACT.

David or Victoria?

David. Victoria will be Chairwoman when they buy the club.

Becks' old mate Les Reed with be Director of Football.
  • Sponsored links:

• With Romeo has our striker..
  • [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]I am sure that Beckham is a nice guy, and he sure is a very fine player that has represented his country with great honour, albeit with limited success on the big stage.

However, this modern trend of using the honours system to salve the egos of current celebrities is a really offensive way of judging contribution to a country IMHO.

For my money, these honors should absolutely NOT be the preserve of the rich and famous but should be used to reward those people in health, education, science, social work and industry who make a genuine difference to the well-being of the country.

For example, here in Oz, the country's top civil award went to Dr. Ian Fraser ( a Jock, surprise!) who invented a new vaccine for cervical cancer to be taken by teenage girls.

Totally agree.
  • [cite]Posted By: Barn Door Varney[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Ormiston Addick[/cite]

Totally agree.
    Yeah but other than that what has he done?

;o)